Monday, June 08, 2009

La Fontaine de Mars, Paris

La Fontaine De Mars I dreamed my dog ate at La Fontaine de Mars, original art
I dreamed my dog ate at La Fontaine de Mars 75007 with President Obama and First Lady Michelle on Saturday night.

Photo from Yahoo.fr Yes it's true. The President and his wife had a date nite at a bistro just around the corner from me on 129, Rue Saint-Dominique.

I used to pass it at least once a day but I was saving my centimes for macarons so I never entered - dommage.

La Fontaine De MarsGetting ready here for the President's visit? The nappery is distinctly checkered as it should be in any good Parisien bistro.

Yahoo.fr reports the Obamas ate classic bistro fare:
Au menu : foie gras, gigôt d'agneau et ile flottante

This handy little guide book suggests there are few vrais bistros left. I picked it up first in Paris and then found the English version here..

La Fontaine De MarsThe 51 true bistros inside have the obligatory zinc or wood bar, daily specials on the chalkboard, small dining rooms, husband in the kitchen, wife up front. Usually the dishes on offer are regional, native to the owner's home and wines are from small vineyards preferably nearby. This whole series of small Paris guides is worth collecting.

La Fontaine De Mars I grabbed a shot of the La Fontaine's red checked nappery while passing by. Who knew it would become world famous?

Should you decide you want to do up your dining room Bistro style, Boutique Sabre will have all the appropriate gear.


La Fontaine De Mars And should you decide you want to cook like a Normandie grandmere, look on Amazon.fr for this facsimile cookbook
BONJOUR LUNDI!

25 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of la Fontaine de mars. I used to eat there when I lived in this area. I wish I had met President Obama there! Perfect post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love all the red checkery!
    I'm with the Pres totally on this one - adorable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Génial !
    :)
    C'est très beau !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanne8:53 AM

    Hi Carol,
    What a great breakfast this morning at PB!!
    Always au courrant
    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charming.
    Love all the checks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the blog.

    I absolutely love it.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute. Especially that you found a photo of him in DC with red checks! Bravo. Here is a little weird item that goes with your story:

    http://www.expatica.com/fr/news/local_news/President-Obama_s-French-food-tested-by-_taster__53344.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never eaten there either and I stroll down Rue St. Dominique every day when in Paris on my way back to Rue Cler and my hotel!!
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. Well done!!

    I recently posted a recipe for my version of the Artichoke Chevre Salad at La Fontaine de Mars, and seeing this I have just included a link to your post therein.

    Your work is always lovely, but I enjoy it especially when it is one of my favorite spots in Paris! :)

    Cheers,

    ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ordering the Bistrot book today! Ile Flotant is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FoodWalker12:31 PM

    You had the jump on the SF Chronicle today on the Obama news!
    BRAVO

    ReplyDelete
  12. delightful, Carol! You'd have entertained the Obamas for sure--too bad they didn't get to meet you. You'd have put on the ol' Paris Breakfast charm for them and they'd have fallen in love, just like the rest of us. Great watercolor here!! I always think red checks are so homey and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutley love that painting.
    Great post today too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol, I loved that when they came out, the 100 or so people gathered on the street broke out into applause.
    Lovely painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really look forward to your paintings :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cutest canine ever!!!
    Such a wonderful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:00 AM

    Those images are just great. Love your painting, the dog is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonsoir, I posted on the same thing today but love all your red checkered, napkin and menu photos! I just love that little square and Rue St. Dominique!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  19. That dog has a guilty look about him. I bet he stole all the cheese hors d'œuvre! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course, he could also have a Checkers' past, only this time not in black and white! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That painting is adorable!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. isn't it astonished ,French people love New Yorkers, but they like also to talk about USA = dangerous.people...!
    that's one of a lot of frensh paradoxe
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your cafe painting, makes me want to sit at the table and sip a cafe but away from the dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. so, funny Carol!

    My flight from JFK to SEA was delayed last week because of their Broadway play date night. I was not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you remember those ads ---"Last night I dreamed I (XXXXXX) in my Maidenform Bra?

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you