Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Eiffel's Tower"

Diego, Dante, and Little Dulce at the Tour Eiffel
original art, 9" x 11"
It's not just the First Lady, Malia and Sasha who want to visit the Eiffel Tower.

Piggy at the Tour Eiffel, original art, 9" x 11"
There seems to be a deep universal need to visit this monument.

Sophie and Buster at the Eiffel Tower, original art Please contact me if you are interested in a portrait at the Tour Eiffel. By just about everyone.

Buffalo Bill photo from Eiffel’s Tower By Jill JonnesBuffalo Bill photo from Eiffel’s Tower By Jill Jonnes

Even Buffalo Bill and his Wild West revue featuring Annie Oakley showed up for the 1889 Exposition Universelle, and perhaps inspired the “French love affair” with the Wild West."

Eiffel’s Tower By Jill Jonnes My copy of Jill Jonnes' Eiffel’s Tower only arrived yesterday so I've just dipped into it, but it's a fascinating account of the "the hoopla surrounding its design and erection" and the surrounding grand Paris Worlds fair. Thomas Edison, the Van Gogh brothers, Gauguin, Whistler, the list goes on and on as do the amusing stories. "Above it all, literally, was Gustave Eiffel, who entertained a cast of royals and business celebrities in his apartment at the top of the tower."!

My obsession continues and this poster is the first thing to greet me as I come in the doorway.

Photo by a PB readerPhoto by PB reader A PB reader sent me this shot to let me know that BHV had a giant tower available to bring home to my ongoing decorating efforts.

Photo by Sybil G. LeePhoto by PB reader SYBIL G. LEE And another PB reader, Sybil G. Lee, sent me this photo homage of towering macarons.

Original artwork by C. Robinson©
This Tour Eiffel silhouette postcard is from papeterie L'Ecritoire.

They had this charming cahier/notebook too.

Photo by Canon S3 in Paris France Photo by Canon S3 in Paris France I love this photo of Canon S3 on Flickr - the perfect homage to Eiffel's Tower non? BONJOUR EIFFEL TOWER!

34 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20 PM

    You are so right about the French fascination with the American West. When I went to Disneyland Paris, so many times did I hear children say, "Mama! Papa! Je voudrais le chapeau de cowboy!" Even my last night in Paris was having dinner at Le Buffalo Grill on La Place de la Republique.
    Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never get enough posts about la tour! Love it! Must get the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this post! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is one of the first that I check each morning...it always brings a smile to my face and makes me long to return to France. I wanted to ask you if it would be alright if I created a post, featuring some of your beautiful work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can highly recommend Eiffel's Tower - I love it that you can open it anywhere and be captivated by the atmosphere and detailed anecdotes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Eiffel tower looks great in the evening but in the day l thought it looked like it was made of meccano bits, its best if you don't go close then.
    But an answer l would love is 'who designed it in the first place,
    Jill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone ever tried to put up Eiffel's Tower instead of a Christmas tree? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love anything with an Eiffel Tower. I feel the same way about the Golden Gate Bridge. I put Jill Jonnes' book on my reading list. As always I really enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    It makes this month three years that I've visited it.
    Sure was a long voyage to the top.
    Paris is indeed a marvelous city.

    Best regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth S.2:37 PM

    I'm an up-and-coming cake designer in New York. I'm looking to build up my portfolio further. I'm interested in the Parisian whimiscal style for a cake in the future. I will probably bookmark your wonderful blog as reference, but since you seem to be a self-made authority on all things Paris, would you be able to recommend a book or site for such? I'm predominantly interested in patterns, styles, and fonts as opposed to main images.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!
    Your passion for Paris shines through in your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Eiffel Tower is pretty amazing, but the watercolors are my favs. They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, Carol! Love your Eiffel Tower images. Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and love all your paintings. I especially love the first one with the Poodles. We had a Silver Gray toy poodle when I was growing up. That painting brings sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh and.. her name was Chiffon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so wonderful to find someone who loves Tour d'Eiffel as much as I do. One large corner of my living room is devoted to La Tour! maria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you ever find your mural? If not, I found one for you on sale:
    http://www.pbteen.com/products/p3973/?pkey=cwall-murals-stickers-decals

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merianna10:36 PM

    I was looking at that giant Eiffel a PB reader sent you and thought,
    wow, that looks almost like a tree waiting to be festooned with macarons

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your daily postings help me feel that we never left Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Many thanks for recommending Eiffel's Tower. A copy is on its way to The Cottage right now, as I cannot get enough of La Tour Eiffel. Have you made a purchase in the shop that is on the Eiffel Tower? I really like the bags they use ... Eiffel Tower-brown with a silouette of the tower, c'est chouette!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. from Korea2:40 AM

    This post reminds me the time when I spent in Paris. I lay down on the grass near the Eiffel Tower for 4 hours. I even missed the last metro. At that time, I hated myself but that moment makes me happy now.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not so many paintings lately; now suddenly three! Well, I guess the Tower is worth a special treatment!

    With you special feeling for what Paris is, you of course found "La Fontaine..." even before the President! ... and also "Constant"! Bravo again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome work! Your people and dogs are great. Colors--very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is wonderful PB~ i especially love the shopping bags ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this...love the dogs and the shopping bags....looks like somebody had a great day

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! Makes me want to go back to Paris even more than your macaroon paintings!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  28. SBYIL G.8:59 AM

    Love today's post! Were your paintings commissioned with pictures of your actual clients? I love the dogs and the shopping bags. You really know how to make people dream about Paris as advertised.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there Carol,
    Your messages in my mailbox everyday is just such a treat - i look forward to them every single day. You have such a wonderful way of showing the way you look at the world and adding your thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the first painting with the dogs. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Childhood and candy : no la madeleine de Proust was not a candy, just a little thing he ate at 5 or 4 o'clock.
    La madeleine was like a key which opened the souvenirs of childhood, it's intellectual , this cake gave to Marcel all the memory of his past...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jeanne8:56 PM

    Loved your blog about french marshmallows!
    They are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great idea to paint people in front of the Eiffel Tower.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you