Tuesday, November 27, 2007

BEAR Street...

Bear watercolor - Parisbreakfasts Do you believe in synchronicity?
Or "meaningful coincidences," as Jung calls it...
Bears - ParisbreakfastsJust before I left for Paris I was rushing to finish a menu illustration full of bears...

rue aux Ours The apartment I rented in the Marais was on rue aux Ours (BEAR street), pronounced, ru Oh-Zores... I still can't pronounce it! Jette in Danmark My first day in Paris I met Jette from Denmark in the street...
polar bear - Parisbreakfasts And don't you know she's writing and illustrating a book about Polar bears! So naturally I kept seeing more BEARS EVERYWHERE!
Un Jour Sur terre - Parisbreakfasts This poster in the Metro was unavoidable.
l'Ours du Marais - Parisbreakfasts And a 5-minute walk from my apartment was this wonderful specialty boutique, L'Ours du Marais on 18, rue Pavee, 75004. They sell ONLY BEARS of course.
Russian bears - Parisbreakfasts They have tons of these Russian carved wooden bears from the town of Bogorodskoye.
Teddu bears - Parisbreakfasts Plus all manner of silly out-fitted teddy bears or nounours....
Bears -ParisbreakfastsBear stamps, bear tins, bear T-shirts...it goes on and on.
Teddy Bear Tea - ParisbreakfastsPlenty of bear china too. I was looking for a GREEN bear for my cousin Louise, but that was the ONE bear they didn't have...
les nounours a la guimauve -Paris BreakfastsToday I found among my photos these marshmallow bears or les nounours a la guimauve from La Mere du Famille.
Isn't that synchronicity?
Hi Jette!
How are your bears doing? :)

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You have a way with bears! Loving them as I sip my tea this morning....:)))And who could say Rue Aux Ours five times fast anyway? Timing is perfect!;) All best, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Have you seen the polar bear at the Musee d'Orsay? My favourite bear. I always visit him when I'm in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:16 AM

    What? That's all almost too crazy to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty incredible series! I really love your watercolor of the bears and the macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I can not resist sending you this video of my daughter's very unusual bear....
    This is such a facinating breakfast...and I learned a new word! Synchronicity.....hmmm. It explains a lot.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay80OB3shWw

    hugs,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:14 AM

    What a wonderful smile Jette has. Love her hat on her. Yes, I do believe in synchronicity. It also strikes me as serendipity, too! The watercolor of the bears is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, Your painting with the Bears is absolutly WONDERFUL. You captured them so perfectly.
    Oh and on the Bear theme. I grew up in Big BEAR Lake California.
    LOVE the post this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't go out in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:14 PM

    Great polar bears!
    Wonderful, Carol!
    I love the way the paint really can leave just a film of luminous shadow--

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:14 PM

    This is so beautiful and precious. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your polar bears. Have you ever illustrated a childrens' book? If not, you should! And you're killing me with the chocolate-covered nounours, whatever their shape I am dying for some!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:03 PM

    Love it !
    Love it All.
    Thank you again.
    made my day.
    These glimpses make me smile.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:25 PM

    Carol -- so so so cute!!!!!!!
    These Polar bears would make a perfect holiday card for one of your bakeries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:28 PM

    I like synchronicity too:
    Here is a photo from the Zoo de St-FĂ©licien where polar bears receive a snow cake with surprise inclusions of fish and fruit for their birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:30 PM

    There's more to this bear-thing than meets the eye and I am puzzled by how it effects ME all this bear-stuff in Paris at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to know more about the polar bear at the Musee D'orsay VANILLA.SKY
    ? ? ?
    THANK YOU Barbara for the adorable teddy video!
    I almost bought a polar bear tree ornament last night...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! and did you know that Ulla means 'little bear' in Danish? (guess what I looked like when I was born - LOL) What a wonderful wonderful post! And your watercolor with mother and baby is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:38 PM

    Ours Blanc (Polar Bear) by Francois Pompon:

    http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/
    collections/works-in-focus/search/
    commentaire/commentaire_id/
    polar-bear-2186.html
    ?S=0&cHash=cc270b9c1f

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:11 PM

    I can bearly stand to look at those chocolate guilaume bears! Unfortunately, I also have to refrain from eating the cookies I just made for my son's visit tomorrow. I'll just grin and bear it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so awesome! I love how you totally put your finger on that strange phenomenon of suddenly seeing something EVERYWHERE. I just came across this blog...your illustrations are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Paris - you really have " the eye" your blog is such a joy to read - I feel like I'm IN Paris everytime I pop in!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that is freaky and somewhat beautiful at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5:23 AM

    all these bears :
    très bonne idée pour le nom de la rue !
    I love the macaron-bear family Very nice painting !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5:39 AM

    well, after all, what's not to love about macarons?
    And about this bear painting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How beary special indeed.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  26. All these bears are so wonderful...I love all of them and your drawing is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2:43 PM

    oh the painting of the bears is so adorable! I will have to visit la rue aux ours next time I am in paris :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you