Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Les Fruits Rouges

Tarte aux Fruits rouges, original watercolor, 9" x 11"
I have a passion for RED fruity tarts...
But there is something about a French RED fruity tarte that sets my heart going pitter, patter. The funny thing is, I don't feel a dire need to EAT these RED fruity tarts?! Go figure. I guess it's like the way some folks feel about their Manolos. I can not walk by a red fruity tart without collecting a photo of it...a keep sake, a momento...go figure. Pierre Herme cleverly adds some green into his RED fruity gateaux. No pastry chef knows their color wheel like Pierre Herme! Well except Gerard Mulot who can be counted on to get his colors right too. Green always acts as a color compliment to RED and will intensify the RED just that much more - neat trick non? When I was at Chateau Vaux le Vicomte waiting to get my ticket, I looked down on the gift shop and saw red tarte, red tarte, red tarte! That's how fixated I've becomeNow here's a RED tarte I would love to get my paws on..and it's all of an 1 1/4" in diameter. Well so is the tarte I painted today. Hey calorie-FREE! Next trip I will actually EAT a RED fruit tarte. I am making this vow publicly (because supposedly people do follow-up more responsibly). I feel I owe it to you to at least try the "unavailable" RED TARTE.

ENOUGH with this admiring from afar! The origin of my true love and at Hediard no less. Also at HEDIARD - the perfect RED tins of tea to go with your red tarte dessert. If anyone knows what this cute little Japanese bunny is please do tell. It's a mystery to me but still fun to paint (see above watercolor). Thank yours, for coming to the Garden Party Watercolor Sale! It's still on for a few more days if you'd like to have a souvenir on your wall of all the good times we've had here at PB.
FYI:How-to pronounce French RED Fruits guide

I know, I know. I have a passion for a lot of thingslike ice cream cones and minis.

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 AM

    I just love your posts.
    Someday I would love to buy one of your watercolors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:09 AM

    So much TARTY GOODNESS today!
    I love these red tartes too..
    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maintenant, vous avez peint tous mes favoris--je vais prendre quelques framboise, cerises, et de fraises, s'il vous plait. Et...j'aime aussi des myrtilles, et tous les fruits! Merveilleuses!! Qui est charmante aquarelle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:43 AM

    I have seen that same bunny image on all things Japanese! I bought a lipstick case and fabric-covered mirror in Mitsukoshi one year; beautiful rose-pink silk fabric with those same bunnies!
    Also, I have Japanese handmade paper with the same bunny.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol,
    The bunny is a cake! A Wagashi, But probably, your question was else? what kind of cake or something like that?
    By Toraya, in Paris, it's called "USAGI-MAN", here is the link:
    http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/paris/wagashi/index.html

    I think it's for the moon celebration,in fall, because japanese culture says there is a rabbit in the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:05 AM

    your posts are so beautiful - A great way to start the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:18 PM

    I too would take a tarte over shoes any day. Although I do love shoes very much,
    a yummy tarte is so undeniably satisfying. Love the little bunny at the end. Is it a
    sugar bunny, or some kind of a sugar coated candy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:22 PM

    May I have the whole cake please? :D And oh my, the little bunny melts my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:25 PM

    I'll take two of those, please. Love the little bunny, Carol! Sweet little tyke!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rrrrrrred. It roars.
    Raspberries are my absolute weakness. Help, I am licking the monitor!! No fair no fair!!! :)

    These are delicious. Hope the slae is going rip roaringly well. :)
    All best, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:30 PM

    I feel like I've seen those bunnies have been in quite a few Re-ment sets...
    They are super adorable tho!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:36 PM

    oh my~ this is heaven =}~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Ohh, Carol, I think you outdid yourself...I love this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. MERCI Delphine for the answer to the mystery BUNNY question!
    How adorable is that BUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pierre Hermé; of course, he is forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Awwwwwwww!!!!
    That watercolor is just scrumptious and all those fruit tarts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:18 PM

    My dear PB- Has your acquaintance with me taught you nothing about rabbits? Surely you could present a more balanced view on the subject.
    As for les tartes aux fruits rouge, we see nearly eye-to-eye: I, too, am mad for them. However, when confronted with one in the flesh, I reach for a fork, not a camera. Did you notice how many of them have that lovely shiny glossy finish? It's usually due to a lovely coating of melted jelly of des groseilles rouge. Which I why I go to the trouble of making red currant jelly instead of jam. After all, if the tarte won't come to me, I shall come to the tarte. Carrying my handy supply of red currant glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for giving me a daily fix on Parisian life which is so far from where I sit in my little office in Australia. Merci boucoup Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahem...ahem
    A correction is in order...
    Chere Madame Jeanette, of Longears Manor Guest House (Happy home to all bunnies)
    I have done much research on the glossy shine on Paris tartes.
    In general, the glaze is from APRICOT JAM not your groseilles.
    Desole!
    Please refer to l'abricotage
    for more info on this issue.
    Merci
    PB

    ReplyDelete
  20. http://mboogiedown-japan.blogspot.com/2007/10/rabbit-in-moon.html

    This is a great informative post about your little bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a mouth watering post today! I think that little bunny is a meringue

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous3:48 AM

    Lovely post forte. Jamais pensé qu'il était aussi facile. respects à vous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous7:22 AM

    This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you