Friday, March 16, 2012

The Queen’s Jubilee London

 London is loaded with yellows. Don't know why I never noticed before? Here yellow daffs in the ladies loo. *Note the French Metro tiles on the walls.
 Bunches of daffs in a decorating shop..
 The Queen's Jubilee is evident everywhere in London. Here yellow flamingos for the occasion. Who knew?
 Yellow signage is de rigeur in London.
 I do hope visitors to the summer Olympics look both ways and WAIT before crossing into oncoming traffic.
 Egg yolk yellow truck...
 How did I not notice yellow is Selfridge's signature color? Carrying their bright bags is a sure way to warn traffic you intend to cross and hope to make it to the other side alive, ahem.
 London maps on streetcorners love yellow. They have great design and are very legible. New York could use these. New York could use basic street signs. Too many are missing unfortunately.
 I spotted yellow shoes in a New Bond Street gallery window. The gallerist was taking a quick puff out front.
I asked him,"Who's the artist?"
"Dr. Brainwash," he answered.
"Oh right...".
 March Jacob loves yellow for Spring. I could get drawn and quartered for shooting inside Selfridges...
 Yellow frocks in a window I don't know where. Wish I knew where the word 'frock' came from...
 Yellow fishnet knee socks in Zara's window. An absolute essential for this Spring 2012 no doubt...
 Loads of yellow in the London Underground wherever you look. Boy am I glad I did 2 weeks+ of hourly stairs in NY. There are stairs here about every 10-15 minutes to climb.
 For Mom's day (this Sunday in the UK) pale yellow cupcakes from Fiona Cairns.
 Perfect yellow bird cookies on a stick at Peggy Porschen's Parlour, where I had the most sumptuous afternoon tea to end all teas yesterday. I am never eating again.
Right off the Eurostar, Bear spotted chocolate 'bath ducks' wearing yellow crowns. His and her royal duckinesses. Are you convinced that London is a mostly yellow town? Do you want more proof?
 

19 comments:

  1. I'm just mad about saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Origin of the word "frock":
    mid-14c., from O.Fr. froc "a monk's habit" (12c.), of unknown origin; perhaps from Frank. *hroc (cf. O.H.G. hroc "mantle, coat;" O.N. rokkr, O.E. rocc, O.Fris. rokk, Ger. Rock "coat"), from PIE root *rug- "to spin." Another theory traces it to M.L. floccus, from L. floccus "flock of wool." Meaning "outer garment for women or children" is from 1530s. Frock-coat attested by 1823.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Marie!
      You're hired.
      Big merci carolg

      Delete
    2. Maureen Richardson8:46 AM

      Carol I believe that is where the term de-frocked comes from referring to a priest or monk being stripped of their priesthood. How it went from that to mean a WOMAN's dress is the real mystery-:) I LOVE LOVE LOVE London, made my 15th trip for the royal wedding last year. So glad you mix it in with Paris. Maureen

      Delete
  3. A chocolate bath duck sounds delicious!

    P.S. Marie, thanks for supplying the frock definition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd care to float that duckie in my bath SF.
      Chocolate baths could be the new big thing on the other hand...

      Delete
  4. Maybe their lack of winter sunshine makes Londoners love yellow. I know I'm enjoying looking at it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an artist I am always dazzled when the first hints of spring colors peek above the ground.
    Beautiful yellow Daffodils and Forsythia and usually nearby, their violet compliments, Crocus. Mother Nature and the Art Spirit collaborating for our pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, maybe it does have to do with yellow making up for the dreariness of winter?
    I never realized that yellow was so prevalent there.
    It's not my favorite color - at least it's not a dark yellow - do you remember those DHL trucks? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone here said yellow makes ppl more compliant.
      I thought it meant quarenteen.
      It certainly stands out against the grey buildings...

      Delete
  8. Is yellow the new red?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures!
    Did you see the great shoe display at Selfridges - the moving one?
    Manolo?
    Keep an eye out for all of the decorated eggs around town. I think it's a promo for a Fabrege exhibit.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  10. They call me Mellow Yellow. Must be something to it.. Donovan sang about it in the 60ies. Love Yellow.. next to Pink.. my favorite color. Hope we get to see some of that Tea you had with Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol, I love all these golden photos. Let me assure you that daffs and forsythia are are their own march across Central Park. The NYC spring version of yellow seems to veer between various shades of mustards, leaning into lemon.

    Guess that all the color designers got that important memo from Pantone.

    Still, isn't it fun to see how each country does its home team interpretation. Please do show us some lemon tarts!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, not possible
      I AM THRU with lemon tarts.
      And I am trying hard to get over stem ginger shortcake bickies that has caught my fancy in London, AHEM.

      Delete
  12. Oh no, not possible
    I AM THRU with lemon tarts.
    And I am trying hard to get over stem ginger shortcake bickies that has caught my fancy in London, AHEM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. London is still mostly red, but the yellow is out right now because the daffs just came up, and everyone here waits ever so long for the daffs to bloom and brighten up our dreary winter. Also, pastels are in this spring, thus the shop window displays. Otherwise, London is still decidedly pillarbox red: buses, postboxes, phoneboxes, typefaces, etc.

    Hope you are enjoying your time here. The weather has been better than average this week!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you