Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mariage Frères

Mariage Freres Tea at Mariage Freres, original watercolor, 9" x 12"
As I mentioned yesterday, Mariage Freres salon de thé
is next door to Cuisinophilie at 30, rue du Bourg-Tibourg.

the skylight lite tea salon... The tea salon is straight through and no photography is allowed = why the fuzzy picture. Make a sharp left up the narrow winding stairway, you'll find yourself in Le Musée du Thé.

Green Celadon tea things... No one bothers to go up these eerie, creeking steps to the tea museum. Not even the staff come around.

 It's a bit dusty and I didn't see many explanatory labels. I was the only visitor.

There's a treasure chest of antique tea paraphrenalia -
all manner of tea canisters, tea pots (some shaped like elephants), old labels, etc.
stashed up there.

Art Déco tea pots It's an adventure, especially since downstairs is jammed packed in both the shop and the tea salon.

There are no tea leaves in the pot. It's an infusion kept just the right temperature Doodling IS ALLOWED in the salon plus I stole a few shots.
The waiters dressed in white suits and race around the giant palm planters. There's a skylight too that gives you the feeling you might be in colonial Singapore or Thailand.
Be sure to visit the museum upstairs next time you go.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Love the Watercolor. Enjoyed the glimps of your doodling. Would be fun to see more of it.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, beautiful! Thanks for bringing me along! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:46 AM

    PS.
    Last week I watched..AGAIN..One of my favorite movie, "Somethings got to give". I have seen it over and over and.....But this time I saw something I never saw before because of your blog. In the final scene the character is in a Paris cafe celebrating her birthday and her cake looked just like Charlotte's Charlotte Rouges, Ribbon and all. It was beautiful and I had missed SEEING it before. It's amazing what I SEE now, after viewing your blog daily..Thanks.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:16 PM

    I thank you for such hors-la-loi behavior, and MF should too, as they should buy this gorgeous aquarelle and hang it on the wall of their crowded salon. I wonder if you ever drink or eat at the right temperature between camera and pinceau, cup and fourchette.
    Merci de partager

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:21 PM

    I'll be there again in January - just seeing your photos makes me so excited! I've never climbed the stairs to see the museum, but this time I certainly shall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blog entry, as usual! Love the photos, watercolor and doodling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:44 PM

    My name is M. and I am an teaholic.
    I've been secretly longing for one of those teapots with the metal cozy for a long time. The one in the picture looks perfect to me. Wonder if a late letter to Santa would help? ;-)
    Love your excursions (wearing low heels by now, necessitated by the speed you are moving around the world!), M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:47 PM

    "There are no tea leaves in the pot ... " - magic, that's what it is. How in the world do you make those signs appear?
    Thanks :-))))
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your watercolours and this one is great because it's of my favourite tea shop in Paris! Thanks a lot for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Mariage Freres tea, but have never been to their tea salon in Paris. Will definitely have to make a note of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny! The little dusty upstairs museum is going to be overflowing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol! Have you done a book? You should. Your text is as capitaving as your art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like all your blog, this post is very nice! Cris and I love 'du thé'! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:55 AM

    oh oh so much goodness on your blog! loved catching up a little...the craquelé tea pot and bowls are so beautiful! hope you had a wonderful christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your reflection in the tea pot made me smile!
    The doodle is as extra treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:02 AM

    mariage fréres un vrai délice de salon de thé et ils ont toujours un choix extraordinaire en matiére de thé, ma derniére acquisition le "1884" au gingembre me plait beaucoup pour le tea time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Sympa ce site web...

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the cup painting. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you