Sunday, July 27, 2008

Escape to Maine again...

I'm running off to a refresher workshop in Maine with my watercolor teacher, David Dewey. Natch Yellow Bird gets to come along in case there are any photo opps. Here's re-cap of an older post I'm not really ready for Fall or back-to-school school openings. So I'm escaping off someplace I should have gone this summer.Up to David Dewey's watercolor workshop in Maine.
I've been 4 or 5 times. I thought at first, that since I'm focused on still life I didn't need to look or think about landscapes again.
Too late I woke up and realized of course, a still life IS a landscape!
A bunch of shapes sitting on a flatish surface = a landscape.Most workshop mornings begin with THE DEMO by the instructor. You crowd round to see the magic performed in the relentlessly hot sun.Then you go off for the day and try to perform a little magic yourself... The bay out my motel window in '01. Thomaston's boat yard in '05At the end of each workshop day comes the group crit.
You learn heaps here. I could use an end o' day group crit in my New York studio.

The real end of a Maine day ends with a Lobster.
If you haven't had a lobster roll for lunch that is...

Or for lobster aficionados, every meal should be Maine lobster...
I'm not taking my laptop so I hope I can post updates on all my lobster dinners...cya
BONNE JOURNEE

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Thanks so much for posting on this workshop! I'm adding "go to water color workshop in Maine" to my "to do someday" list! By the way, I enjoyed seeing your view of Maine -I haven't been in almost a decade and you brought me back again to "the way life ought to be"!

    You're a great artist... I always enjoy your watercolors,

    Best,
    The Antiques Diva (TM)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon voyage,
    and don't let that red lobster bite your little yellow duckie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Haaaa! I can't believe you even found a lobster for yellow bird to investigate. Excellent!
    Hope you're having fun, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Have a wonderful time--sounds great! Lobster for breakfast--lunch--and dinner--yum-Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:45 PM

    Hey all you artist take classes.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MARIE,
    It's a GREAT excuse to go eat LOBSTER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your stay in Maine. It looks fabulous! I also love Maine lobsters.Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:59 AM

    I wish I could paint a tiny little bit more like you.......I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow and I just been out to buy new moleskins for my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear more, Carol--sounds wonderful. I know you will come away inspired. have fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are Dewey's workshops only for advanced students who've studied with him before? I admire his work and love his book but could never find workshops of his.

    magpie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect experience! I do watercolor too...love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. J'adore ton blog! What a wonderful place to visit.. I'll be back for sure! Salut, Belium.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful get away. Maine and painting too. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been away - are you back yet?

    ReplyDelete
  16. carol -
    if you love painting landscapes, then you must see my dear friend, ellen hopkins fountain work on her site.
    she is a hard working red headed watercolorist and known for her landscapes of the Hudson River.
    one thinks that they are oil - they are heavily pigmented and stunning.
    enjoy maine and hope you learn a few tricks!
    pve

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you