Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Li-Lac Chocolates

Yellow Bird checks out a Li-Lac Fudge Easter Egg, original watercolor, 9" x 12"
Yesterday while doing some research...ahem...I stopped in Li-Lac Chocolates in the Village.
Li-Lac Chocolates Li-Lac was located on Christopher Street for 81 years and had all the earmarks of an old fashioned candy store. Inside you could peek in the back and even see them processing the chocolate. And they had the most wonderful old black and white postcard of two dog, their paws leaning on the shop window browsing all the goodies.
Now you can find Li-Lac at 40 Eighth Avenue (Where Eighth Ave. meets Jane Street)
Li-Lac ChocolatesLi-Lac's fare is quite traditional - old-fashioned foil-wrapped eggs line the walls...
Li-Lac ChocolatesNone of your fancy-shmancy single origin percentage chocolates here! And the walls are covered with old-fashioned pink lilac wallpaper...
Li-Lac ChocolatesYou enter their door and become a 5-year old again...
Li-Lac Chocolates But now, you get to pick out exactly what you want and make a complete piggie of yourself!
:)
Li-Lac ChocolatesTheir bunnies and Easter baskets are exactly what you dreamt of finding at the foot of your bed Easter morning, be-ribboned and filled to the brim with chockies.
Li-Lac Chocolates My knees were knocking before this glorious bounty = blurry pictures :(
Li-Lac ChocolatesAnd don't forget to buy a bunnie for your basket, even if outfitted in a pink slicker decorated with chic black (black is in in Paris ya know!) paw prints.
Li-Lac ChocolatesI used to visit the old Li-Lac Chocolates every Easter and Valentines Day as well at any other opportunity I could think of. For important holidays the lines were always out the door.
Li-Lac Chocolates Two of my absolute favorites were their Walnut Maple fudge...
Li-Lac Chocolates And the dark covered caramel bars...sigh
Did I mention that their chocolate is to die for? It's not horridly sugary sweet either.
Yesterday I fell victim again to my 2 favorites...
Must stay away...must stay away...
Li-Lac has a second shop in the Grand Central Marketplace just to make life even more difficult than it already is!

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Oh I agree!
    An old fashioned chocolate shop like I grew up with - there's nothing like it.
    Al those Frenchies can take a flying leap IMO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:37 AM

    Chocolate, chocolate everywhere! I think just reading your posts adds a pound or two on. Not that I mind at all-oh no! Just the vision of all these lovely favorites of mine-beautifully wrapped chocolates, Parisian yummies, teapots and glistening teacups--well, it's a little daily luxury for the eyes.

    Of course, I have to mention the wonderful blue and white Arabia cup you recreated from your last blog. I do love me some colorful teacups!

    Now, I'm off to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate in my favorite Brambly Hedge cup.
    -Karen @ Brodiemojo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Merci Karen,
    You have no idea how fattening it is for me..
    When I think what I wolfed down yesterday :(
    It's just plain water for me today and a couple lettuce leaves.
    I will now hop off to the kitchen to look for my greens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Man, I feel like I gained weight just reading this today. What a fun spot. I have fond memories of the beautiful baskets my parents used to make up for us as kids. We'd go peeking under the "grasses" in it to find hidden jellybeans. But the big chocolate bunnies were my favorites, too. I can conjure up the smells right now, Carol. There you go again, tempting me!
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:08 AM

    ps
    I meant to ask, Carol--is that a little Empire State Building in that painting??! too cute.
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. South Beach move over, we have the alternating salad compose and chocolate regimen...and walking...to find all these yummy treats...wasn't the world at our finger tips as a child with coins and a candy shop? Someone's dad took us out to one on Long Island some years ago for licorice and all kinds of goodies. Instant regression to a happy place...seriously fun!
    You found and Empire State Building! Good, good .
    All best, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute painting. the first thing I noticed was the new statue. Ah when in New York....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Two oldie worldie stories - today and yesterday...
    FUN!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Oooooooooooooooo the Empire State building!
    My favorite most romantic meeting place..
    I was proposed to on several ocassions up there...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  10. You torture that little bird. He always looks so hungry standing next to all that gorgeous food. Do you ever feed him?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Easter candy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:16 PM

    A balanced diet is chocolate in BOTH hands!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:45 PM

    I thought Juliani had cleaned up the city and made it safe for "researchers" to stroll and window shop. Apparently not! At least not for poor Paris Breakfast who fell victim to assault by chocolate and maple walnut. There is a silver lining, however: walnuts are a great natural source of omega 3.
    And you are right: late night meetings every day this week. ugh. But I thought it was tres funny. :-(
    And you MUST find a better way to make up for excess than that lettuce and hopping thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am a parisian chihuahua and i love chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i just popped over here
    for my usual
    chocolate
    before bedtime.

    :-)

    yours are the yummiest
    and
    thanks
    for keeping me on my diet...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Li-Lac looks like a most interesting place to...er...conduct most valuable research, carol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy Smoke!!!
    I awoke this morning to the news that Elliot (kind'a rymes with "idiot")Spitzer is resigning, and I was also looking at Little Yellow chickie, being tempted by that seductive cupcake...and nearby, the Empire State building!
    Metaphors galore!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one is Cakespy's mom's favorite chocolate shop in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the chocolate and beautiful Easter things you share with us.
    Love Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:53 AM

    Hi there Carol,

    I have taken the liberty of putting a little article about your blog on my own blog, along with the link.

    You have a fun site there, and I like your pretty watercolors of one of my favorite subjects!

    My own blog where the article can be found is:

    http://ateliermends.blogspirit.com

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:46 AM

    Carefully prepared chocolate is as healthful a food as it is pleasant; that it is nourishing and easily digested; that it does not cause the same harmful effects to feminine beauty which are blamed on coffee, but is on the contrary a remedy for them.


    Nice job :D

    "I love chocolate. Have you ever seen a chocolate
    fountain? It is wonderful! Check this out.."

    http://www.sarahs-sweet-fountains.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous5:44 PM

    Ah, but how many of you knew George. From 1935 on we visited Lilac's whenever we could afford it - not too often, but every Easter my mother managed to spring for an Easter egg. I remember George in his later years when he had what must have been lung cancer and spoke through a tube in his windpipe. No chocolates have ever matched - in my opinion - the maple walnut creams or the molasses chips, in dark chocolate of course. There peanut brittle was good too! I live in Boston now, but always visit Lilac's when I go down to NY.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you