Friday, October 18, 2024

Stephen Jones - Chapeaux Artiste, Palais Galleria

 
Yesterday 

I went to the preview of British hat artist, 


This is probably the HOT 🔥 (fashion) show of the Fall season.

400 works in the exhibition - Jone’s famous red wool beret for Lady Diana.

Including more than 170 hats.

As a young boy Stephen Jones was mad about Paris after trips with his family to France 🇫🇷 - his sequin beret topped with an Eiffel Tower. 
The exhibition focuses on Jones close ties with French Couture 🧵 
He collaborated with designers Christian Dior, Jean Paul Gaultier, 
Thierry Mugler, Comme des Garçons, Louis Vuitton, Claude Montana etc. I really wish the Palais Galleria did not insist on placing black pieces agains black walls 🙏 Is this a French thing? 🫤 MAD/musee des arts décoratifs does it too. Making it difficult to photograph 📷
A room midway in the exhibition illustrates with window boxes
Jones’ brilliant creative process from research 
To first sketches. LOVE ❤️ this hat made of sketches ✍️
To first fabrics to first shapes 
To the final creation. This room alone is worth the price of admission. 
Plus the video in Fr/Eng as Jones creates a special occasion hat for a demanding client. He says,“The British want Frenchy hats and the French want British styled hats!”
There is always lightness, wit and whimsy to Jones’ hats like this triple Mad Hatter hat 🎩 
The UK celebrates 🎉 designer Jones with a special stamp.
I haven’t begun to show what’s in this exhibition. I hope you get to visit the Palais Galleria - on till March 3, 2025.
I left the Galleria a tad blitzed in the drizzle…so much to take in
Across the street - patisserie Cyril Lignac
All I could think was hats, hats, hats. The shapes are too perfect non? Bonne Vendredi dear PBers 🎩 👒 🧢 

8 comments:

  1. Love the sequin beret with the Eiffel Tower! In the 50's my Mother always wore a hat to church. She looked great in hats. Too bad I don't.🗼❤️👒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:01 AM

      Hats used to be de rigueur…it’s sad we don’t use this adornment so much except in Winter 🥶

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L9:57 AM

    Love hats, but they don’t always love me! The burgundy, slouchy, lush felt hat Jones is holding in his hands would be my first choice. My second would be a Cyril Lignac pastry…they are all very chapeau-like! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:02 AM

      I feel the same way but I think if STEPHEN JONES designed you a hat 👒 , you would be very happy 🎉

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:17 AM

      PS Thar red slouchy hat is one of his signature designs

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Excellent illustrations, thank you
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:18 AM

    Just BRILLIANT, dear Carol! I would so love this exhibit as well. Who knows, perhaps I can get back in time. This was a GLORIOUS PB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaina Warren Zachary11:19 AM

      The above comment is me.

      Delete

Love hearing from you