Monday, October 07, 2024

Melun Fête son Brie

On Saturday, Bear 🐻 and I took the train to Melun, a 25 minute train ride from Gare de Lyon.

Melun is home 🏠 to an extra-aged, deliciously creamy Brie cheese.

I haven’t been for a few years
But foodie fêtes are a Fall 🍁 thing to do in France 🇫🇷 
There is another Brie cheesey fete In Meaux next weekend and we will not miss it.
French Brie is a fermented, lait crue cheese native to Seine-et-Marne and it tastes nothing like what they call ‘Brie’ in the US👍 
We did not partake 
Of the all-Brie lunch malheureusement… Instead we got a quick bowl of Hot & Sour soup 🥣 (called Shangainese here) for resuscitation.
In the past, all the events took place at the Hotel de Ville/town hall.
This year white food tents were spread all over town. 
And not just cheese 🧀 
Such beautiful jam jars with beautiful Frenchy handwriting. Be still my heart ❤️ Somehow I resisted..
How did I resist these authentique Pithiviers? I meant to return for a mini…I hope they will turn up at the next Brie event 🤞🙏
Always there was a live cow 🐄 (what made the cheese).
This year only cow-like donkeys!? A bit of a disappointment 🙀 Maybe in Meaux they will have a cow…
We came home with 1/4 of round of Brie du Melun (12€) Yum
We discovered the Tour d’Argent Epicerie sells real baking potatoes 🥔 I can highly recommend a good smear of Brie du Melun on your hot, baked potato 👍 They are the very same potatoes served in the restaurant (,50 centimes each).
You will definitely need a Paris cheese map non?

6 comments:

  1. Love the jam jars..In Provence a lady used napkins I think this might be the case also.And she gives the recipe..Just so quaint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:17 AM

      You and Provence ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L9:27 AM

    Oh, yum, a cheese fête! Bear is a lucky fellow getting to tag along…cow or no cow. And, another Brie fête next week? Wow! Your baked potato looks fabulous! 😋

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorrance9:33 AM

    Love your cheese map, Carol! I remember we had an apartment rental next to Barthélemy. You had to pass through a courtyard where you could view the workers through the windows, cutting and wrapping cheeses. The aromas were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to bake brie and serve it with tart apple slices. Food fetes...what a fun fall activity. Was nice to see Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcia9:50 AM

    Yum Yum Yum! Wish I were there! I have had aged Brie here in Indiana, not sure if it was from France, but, I ate too much and got a migraine headache, which can happen.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you