Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Kouign-Amann I ♥ U

 Can you have a love-hate relationship with a pastry?
 Yes, if it's a kouign amann
 A pastry impossible to spell, pronounce or resist if you love caramel.
 Butter-loaded kouign amann come from Brittany as does this gent at the Salon du Chocolat.
 I even love his hand made signs/porte-etiquette...very gemutlich/homey
 I think I ate more kouign amann at the chocolate salon than I ate chocolate...
 Georges Larnicol is the maitre de kouign aman in Paris perhaps. He even makes minis called kouignettes to keep the guilt at bay in a vast multitude of flavors. To-die-for near Metro Odeon.
 I'm also a big fan of Pierre Herme's kouign amann even if he does sometimes sneak in framboise confiture in the bottom (propably a no-no if you're a die hard kouign-amann lover). It's tucked away in the viennoisserie bin, mostly overlooked by mad about macaron lovers.
 You would think kouign amann is a regional monument in Brittany. It utilizes the famous local au beurre sale. If you see the letters CBS run and get some. Caramel au beurre sale/caramel with salted butter. Abbreviations are rampant in France. This is a chocolate box at CDG to remind you of all the goodies you must eat in France 🇫🇷 
 
 A kouign amann must be lurking in one of these pastry cases. Recently a lot of vintage books have been republished like Nos Geographies de France by Daniel Picouly. A book with wonderful old school maps of where to find what to eat in France (as if we needed help).
 At the chateau Sebastien's sister made it from scatch while we all sat around, enhaled and drooled.
 
 One could say this is taking things to an extreme but it aptly expresses my fondness for Kouign amann.
The roots of the obsession started early. My dad and I used to sneak out Saturday mornings and make a run for Philadelphia Sticky buns before anyone was up. Certainly this is a distant carmelized cousin of the kouign amann Breton non?
Old habits have a way of sticking with you forever.
 

20 comments:

  1. I had never hear of these:)

    Oh they look and sound wonderful..
    In the kitchen..sunny day..Christmas..music..baking:)
    Happy Holidays Carol~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have your own pastry shop up there
      Boulangerie Kouign Amann
      322 Ave Du Mont-Royal Est
      Montreal
      I'll link to a recipe for you Monique

      Delete
  2. A sticky bun "grilled" is definitely to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right dig the knife in deeper Bill
      :))

      Delete
  3. You are getting playful with this one :)
    I'm not crazy about caramel - too sweet.
    I do love the illustrations from "Nos Geographies de France."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... going to back home Philly from Seattle for Christmas and my aunt just asked me what foods I wanted - sticky buns topped my list - your email came in just as I was answering her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:20 PM

    @ Nikon - they are more buttery than sweet.
    @ Carol: easy to pronounce, if you memorize it and ignore the spelling: "Queen Amahn"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, dear Carol,
    this pastry sounds and looks like a dream, a salted caramel one!
    Imagine, there's a baker from Brittany selling cookies at the City Hall Christmas market. I'll have to suggest kouign aman for next year's Christmas. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE them already! They will be my new Quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U can find them in Montreal, Seattle, Salt Lake city
      I have to go to Paris

      Delete
  8. Wow! Wish we had the little ones here in Portland but atleast we can
    find them(larger) at the wonderful St.Honore Bakery.
    Oh la la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. parisbreakfast6:26 PM

      I'm glad they're unavailable in NYC so far - seriously dangerous!

      Delete
  9. My Mom used to make wonderful sticky, carmel, nut cinnamon rolls with loads of butter and brown sugar. These remind me of them. If I close my eyes I can imagine how they melted in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heart caramel. I will be making my very first trip to France in two weeks. Hope to treat myself to some kouign aman during my Parisian journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. could have put "no bun intended" for the last sentence!
    jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that but...ahem
      one pun is enough IMHO

      Delete
  12. Oh, yes, the kouign amann is amazing. We leave for France on Monday and have a request in to our baker in our village for two fresh kouign amanns. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Cindy
      Boy would I like to be in yr chosettes...

      Delete
  13. This looks amazing! I have never had kouign amman and love these incredible photos! I am dreaming of Paris and these delicious treats. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you