Monday, June 20, 2011

Mille-Feuille!

Mille-Feuille Patisserie Jar O' Macarons, watercolor, 9" x 11"
Mille-Feuille Patisserie Having a jar packed to the brim with macarons in your vitrine/ window is an essential in any French patisserie.
Mille-Feuille Patisserie If your facade looks typically French this is a plus factor. Mille-Feuille has been open just a month but they're hitting their marks again and again.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie All the little details of a French patisserie are there, like this ardoise/blackboard are present.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie Handwriting/ecriture on the wall is tres correct.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie Les porte-etiquettes/little pastry signs are plentiful.
Mille-Feuille Patisserie I've read les bon reports on their viennoisserie.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie As well as their namesake, the mille-feuille - this one loaded with vanilla beans. They sell the beans as well one by one.
Mille-Feuille Patisserie They even have those little Frenchie stickers/auto-collant and pretty boxes.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie It's always a delight to see the macarons in the case, freshly made, rather than boxed up and pre-packed. These sell for $1.90 each and come tres pres/very close to the Parisian version. For some reason New York altitude does not encourage the shiny meringue shells you find in Paris.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie But the taste and range of flavors is excellent. Chef Olivier Dessyn earned his pastry bones at The Paris Ritz cooking school, The Meurice Hotel and Pierre Herme(!)

Mille-Feuille Patisserie Triple Vanilla, Espresso, Pistachio, Rose, Raspberry,Chocolate Praline, Coconut, Chocolate, Passion fruit etc.

Mille-Feuille Patisserie I prided myself on getting through last week almost pastry-free (except for les 2 croissants). Then I read about Mille-Feuille and ran out the door to tell you about it this morning. You can find Mille-Feuille in Greenwich Village at 552 LaGuardia Place (Bleecker Street). I suggest you run (literally) home and eat a HUGE salad like this.
Mille-Feuille PatisserieNew York is overflowing with 'REAL' French patisseries but it's still New York.
BONJOUR MILLE-FEUILLE

22 comments:

  1. Love the painting, the little sign next to the jar, the small plate with the two macarons, cheek to cheek. I wonder if that is a glass of water, alongside? Would it be very unfrench to have a Viennese Melange with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viennese Melange??
    No glass of water with spoon on top sadly :(
    Vienna owns that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Carol!
    Love the painting. As so often with your art, something "Cezannesque"
    about the strokes. Love all the colorful pics. And what a charming
    and elegant young woman your niece is, and that simple salad looks yummy.
    Gotta' try it today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mille-feuille owes you a debt of extreme gratitude!!! And I owe Mille-feuile a debt of gratitude for luring you back to les patisseries!!!! Too much restraint is NPT good for PB!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely watercolor, comme toujours. I made a big salad very like this one today for lunch here at work, only I used brown rice. (Just joined weightwatchers, and I'm being very healthy and good.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I always thought that I would dislike macarons but I found a great place called Sandrine's in the Okanagan last year and I finally tried a few...and then a few more. My favourite so far is definitely any kind of berry flavour or chocolate which I suppose really covers almost all of them. They go great with a glass of champagne.

    The Wanderfull Traveler

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey those macarons look good! (so did the multi-colored ones in the last post!) but the mille-feuille would have to be made test case: my absolute fave pastry when living in france.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, this is wonderful. I love how you've captured the charm of Paris in NYC. I can just hear the French saying "brrounee" from that blackboard. That mille feuille definitely looks perfect. Don't tell me you had to eat that macaron for the photo shoot? :-) Going to check out your niece's recipe. She rocks (no kidding, with the perfectly talented Auntie!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post today! I also went to your niece's eHow site for the first time-- love her method of salad making! Merci beaucoup, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your salad look delish, and I love the fact that any ingredients can be substituted for the grain, bean, and veggies. Love your jar of macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And that your macarons match the colors in your salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Justine1:21 PM

    LOVE yr last pic of NYC in all it's multi-culti glory.

    Still it's very nice to discover these little enclaves of Frenchness with all their loving attention to detail amidst New Yorkers tearing around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour Carol,
    I'm Nathalie and Olivier, the pastry chef is my husband.
    Thank you so much for your post. Your paintings are beautiful!
    See you soon at Mille-feuille
    bien à vous
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your painting of the jar o' macarons looks 100x more appetizing than the real ones - and prettier, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonsoir Carol, merci beaucoup pour votre visite à mon blog!!!
    J'aime et j'admire votre belle blog!!!!!
    Bonne soirée
    Fleurete

    ReplyDelete
  16. Je note...

    Amicalement,

    Manon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, I read about this place in the NYTimes, I want to see how it compares to the pastry shops here in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great! It all looks so good and it is in NYC!
    I hope to get there someday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a big salad for dinner.
    Which would have been fine, except there were no macaroons served to me post lettuce. Even a madeline would have done. I would love to try their madelines. Did you have one?
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmmm, Carol. This place seems a bit too close to my place of employment.

    Must be very close to Bruno's where I have treated myself to the first gelato of 2011.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope they take euros & find someone w/that pretty French writing to mark prices. Thanks for the news item, Carole (& bear?)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Carol,
    Any chance you can get me a job there? J' adore mille-feuilles. Both me, my mom and mil love them! (Promise I won't take abite while cooking!)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you