Wednesday, April 23, 2008

MesVitrines NYC, Petrossian Cafe

Tea at Petrossian, original watercolor
Not many admit to 'doing windows', but that's exactly what Parisian Anne Conners does. Anne goes around NYC, analyzing, shooting the fashion windows for her blog, MesVitrinesNYC and for a French online fashion publication, Fashion- Addict

 Anne visited PB. After several blog visits back and forth we agreed to meet for tea. I suggested Petrossian Boutique, one of New York's Frenchiest cafs - 911 7th Avenue. We did not get Petrossian's caviar proudly displayed in the windows - it's sitting on faux diamonds not ice.Nor did I buy these lovely Petrossian cups for a still life. Quelle triste. Instead we go to their tiny tea salon and get tea for two. The staff sends us down to the front window to pick out desserts. Anne chose the gateau coulant au chocolat right.Miam miam! I'm passionate for anything passion fruit since gobbling Pierre Herme's divine passion fruit macarons so I get the passion tarte on the right.Competing desserts - an apple tarte.
A black berry thing.
Anne, ever the discerning Parisien, inspects her dessert.
Ah ha! Success!
Anne is happy.
She explains what a 'coulant' is with sloopy hand gestures.
I guess wildly - a ski slope? a hill? a valley?
Getting nowhere fast.
I found out today a gateau coulant au chocolat means MOLTEN CHOCOLATE!
You can find a nice recipe for it at La Tartines
The 'demise' of our desserts.
Anne, in true French fashion leaves 1/2 uneaten on her plate. I as usual leave my crust and scoop out the tart's innards...hmmm
Anne said when her Parisien friends come to NYC, they HAVE to go to Magnolia Bakery! They're just as in love with Cary and Sex in The City as we are. *Please visit Anne Corrons' blog, MesVitrines NYC  to see how Anne makes NYC windows look like Paris windows. You'll never get lost in translation at chez Anne.

23 comments:

  1. Thank God you are back!!! I was in withdrawal and it was very painful.
    Another beautiful post. I will be sure to visit your friend's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over that chocolate molten what ever Anne is eating. How could she leave even one bite behind on her plate?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh La LA...which to choose which to choose....I am partial the the creme brulee, no the blackberries, no the apples, no the coulant>...Mon dieu, see what you have done??!!!! I AM lost in translation...need to say YUMMMMMMM in a zillion global languages. :)
    All best, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos of those desserts, Carol! You'll be able to paint up a storm with those one day. They looked very rich. I always like those molten chocolate desserts, but I like 'em with ice cream, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JANICE
    The French translation for YUM = MIAM!
    Thanks for reminding me.
    I made myself so hungry doing this post I've been decimating my chocolate friture stash :(
    Grrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Even though I had just finished a bag of Cadbury mini eggs for breakfast, you made my mouth water! ?
    Lovely!
    Lovely! ?
    Merci!
    Mille Fois!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:11 AM

    Hi!

    I´m mexican, and i love your blog. It´s really like been in Paris. I has over a year watching your Paris... but finally i´m going to France... well, i´m going to Spain but also to Paris 3 days.
    And i want to ask you were can i buy the best macaron? and i want to buy antique close... i don´t know...
    What do you recommend to me?

    thank you!

    AMANDA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Hi Carol!

    I've been having a wonderful time each morning watching your colourful adventures!
    I absolutely love your art & commentary and it makes me feel like I'm not trapped at my desk working all day on Long Island.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Carol, it was nice to meet you. You do an amazing job with your paintings about French desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how the French mamge to do that, only eat half, I'm far too Anglo Saxon and always have to gobble the lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:38 PM

    Luscious desserts - irresistable just looking at them...
    Really a touch of Paris in New York.
    I'll visit next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:49 PM

    Hmmm...if I left 1/2 of everything on my plate...There's be just /2 of me!
    NOt a snowball's chance in Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Pierre Herme's passion fruit macarons are maybe one of the best things in the world!
    Are you going to paint them any time soon?
    I'm waiting with bated breath..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Dessert for breakfast again
    Merci beaucoup!
    I was missing my sugar attack

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ate fondant cake my friend made for me right before we left France (2 weeks ago)...ate until I got ill. I was soooo sick. But this photo of yours has revived my craving and I'm gonna get a recipe and make my own! (Oh how I wish we had a shop that made them though.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:49 PM

    Petrossian Boutique is my new favorite cafe in NYC? I'm sure I said it before.
    I've told everyone else.
    I love, love, love, their Ceylan tea and I'm mad for their pear tart.
    Anne is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Carol,
    Once again I'll sing your praises....love your site!!
    A daily joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:22 PM

    I've never told you this before, but I'm really not much of a Francophile. It's true! I'm sure they are lovely and stylish but my true leanings are much more toward the British....probably the gardening, the understated humor, the bad weather, the cozy mysteries. I took 3 years of French, in another lifetime, when I was young, but still... French things don't naturally make my heart beat faster. In fact, I have often wondered why I am so besotted by your posts. Anyway, today's post has finally enlightened me: I cannot be a Francophile because I would no more leave a crumb on my plate than I would dine naked in a restaurant! Quelle horreur!
    However, I intend to keep enjoying your posts because you curate the French in such a way as to make all things French irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:23 PM

    Almost forgot: we are on the same page about passionfruit. I got started when I had my European style drinking chocolate (read: melted cnady bar!) with home made passion fruit marshmallows---MIAM!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All of those cakes look amazing. Im jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want each and every cake in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling post!

    I am lusting after those Petrossian striped cups...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:48 PM

    awww, i saw the pictures of the pastries and remind me so bad of Paris...
    well, if you want to get a new different tea with the most amazing pastries in nez york,you should try Tavalon teas which is all over new york, bloomindale for example..

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you