Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Did You Dream Of Bendels?

What did you dream about last night?
Were your dreams answered under the tree..?
I haven't finished showing you all the dreamy windows in New York...
And Bendels on 712 Fifth Avenue takes the cake for crazy wild dreams...
What's going on here?
A sort of spa/gold-tiled bathroom scene fills their window - a little girl holding onto a pole with dancing fish - a floating mermaid - a gal getting silver sparkles poured down on her.Bendels helps us out with this Marcel Proust quote on the window-The Dream
If a little dreaming is dangerous,

the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more,
to dream all the time.
Inside flocks of Bendelian geese fly round this puffy glamour puss... Carmen Miranda sits in a bird cage and asks,
Do you dream in color?
Up above more geese make your dreams come true...
And mermaids dance among the geese...
While I was shooting these mad mermaids, a woman began reminiscing about the old Bendels. The Bendels that used to be on 57th Street, when Geradine Stutz ran it. It was a dreamy place all year round then, full of unique, astonishing items no other store on earth had. When I was at Parsons School of Design, I worked there part-time as a Saturday stock girl.
I used to dream of buying those treasures...
Is this little girl dreaming of these giant candy canes...
I'm dreaming of this Bendels' signature chocolate striped china set...Who says you have to stop dreaming just because Christmas is over?

14 comments:

  1. did not say where did you take them? we went to see the illuminations but did not enter the magasins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:24 AM

    That china set is gorgeous. So is your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy new year dear Paris Breakfasts, may 2008 bring macaroons and parisian glories in abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, the window is beautiful and the tea set is a definite want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JULIE70
    Bendels is on 712 Fith Avenue - There is a link in the post...
    Big Merci! Muddy, K & S, Elisabethwrites and Diana
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Oui, a bird-woman in a cage only eating chocolat...
    What a kitsch nightmare !!!!

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am dreaming that Bendel's will keep up there windows until I get to N.Y.C in two weeks.
    Fab pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep sharing all those magical moments.
    Gorgeous.
    Yes I love to dream.........
    Love Jeanne ^j^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh I love this. And those tea cups!!!!! Dreaming is good...many mercis...Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:54 PM

    Hmmmm, I'm still not understanding the mermaid pole dance thingy or the bird woman. I do like that little stripy tea set – I think I get the black and white motif better than the "dream in color" one. Bisous! Ms. Glaze

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:09 PM

    Ok, I'm going to follow your words and keep on dreaming, every single day.......and night......

    I am not going to tell you about last night's dream though, that's a secret only for myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:19 PM

    I have enjoyed seeing NYC's Christmas decorations too. My son's girlfriend lives in New York and for Christmas her mom took a DVD of the NYC lights and store windows and then sent it to us here in Oregon.

    Thanks to you I had a heads up in that department.

    Thanks so much for your blog.

    I look forward to it every weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...love the mermaids...blessings and peace to you and yours, rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you