Thursday, June 07, 2007

Jean-Paul Hevin Chocolatier

JPH Berry Tart with spoon, watercolor, 9" x 11"
 
JPH is what I call chocolatier, Jean-Paul Hevin.
Here's the same JPH
Tartelette aux 4 fruits rouges watercolor without a horizon or table top..
I wish I had one of those voting gizmos...
but tell me anyway which one you prefer.
As part of my hot chocolate research I had to visit JPH's salon de the on 231, rue Honore, right?
Here's "the works" - what I ordered.
There is no good reason to put more sugar in your chocolat chaud
or hot chocolate that I can think of,
But it does look attractive on the tabletop.
Water, on the other hand, is an ESSENTIAL as a chaser and for reflexions.
Preferably Paris Tap natch :)Un verre d'eau S.V.P...
Here's a ParisBreakfasts secret-
If you go to ANY high-end salon or cafe (Angelina's, Deux Magots, blablabla) you will not be disappointed in the hot chocolate. That's a fact.
But if you go to your corner caf, you will most certainly get hot chocolate made from a packet of something tres ordinaire, like Nesquik or Poulaine + water.
You have been warned.
JPH's tea salon is upstairs from the chocolate shop.
The walls are lined with blowup photos from his new book, Delices de Chocolat. Some of them, semi-nudes embracing chocolate cakes...ahem
You have been warned.
On your way out there's a display inviting you to treat yourself to a JPH gift box for 147 euros.
You have been warned.

The number #1 reason for my visit was to get a shot of JPH's CHOCOLATE CHANDELIER!
Don't think you can just waltz in, take a shot and waltz out!
And don't say I didn't warn you. The best way to sneak that shot is to descend from the tea salon upstairs. Pretty spectacular you have to admit non?
 

18 comments:

  1. Please, one of those precious treasures. :-)
    Delicious to look at and dream about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply adore your blog! As an artist myself and francophiliac, I would say I prefer the bottom watercolor plus the yellow background. I just want to be part of your french dessert- and i do feel closer to it in the 2nd picture. Beautiful work- you inspire me to try watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:51 AM

    ;)) it always amazes me the creations from chocolate! That chandelier's too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if I had to choose, I would take the top one. The lovely yellow makes the sugar pop and the blue-gray foreground makes the berries twinkle. So tell me, have you tried painting ON pastries? I somehow see your lovely watercolours appearing on a perfect, smooth sheet of hard icing. Have you tried painting with food dye? Seriously, a perfect way to infiltrate the world of Parisian patisseries, non?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:03 AM

    I agree with Asia...the bottom pix with a bit of yellow background added..for all the same reasons.
    That's an amazing chandelier too.
    Cris in OR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:53 AM

    I pick the top painting. I pick your paintings over the photograph because it conveys the yumminess of the shy little tart to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the depth you've achieved in the first one - - makes me dream I am there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that chadelier in a magazine this past Christmas and my mouth dropped...
    That tart looks so glazed up...I bet it was tasty nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lesley Claire Sutton
    I don't plan to paint on pastry anytime soon. I have painted on many chef's jackets. For now it's strictly paper for me.

    Helen the tart was VERY berry. I forgot to shoot the gutted empty pastry shell.

    So far the top watercolor is winning. This is a good thing since it's just one watercolor, adulterated...not X-rated though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I like the top one. More sparkle and more depth.

    Both are beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of them, you are just so darn talented! I like both, really.

    I am sorry you have to suffer through all those pastries just for the sake of art!
    Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:33 PM

    Howdy
    My opinion:
    I prefer the top one, but, using the real spoon to go by for a dimension reference, I suggest cropping in about 1/2 or 3/4 " up from the bottom, in from the left, and down from the top, and leave the right side the way it is.
    WATCHATHINK?
    SJersey Boy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chandelier! Your watercolor is too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:07 PM

    I just sent my Mom the link to your site. Hope you're making more wonderful paintings for us to devour!
    Okay, you know what I must do now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:31 PM

    I've been a Paris fan since I was a teenager (very very long ago),
    I recently discovered your blog through a link from somewhere else - Luxist maybe...
    Every time I look at your posts I'm just enchanted -
    You look at all the same details I love about Paris, it's really almost as good as being there. Both your watercolors and your photos are beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your art is so good I can taste it! O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:38 AM

    I like both paintings. The place looks tres chic, too, the kind I would feel most comfortable in (I have expensive tastes...). The chandelier -- only the French would think of it, non? Tres bon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been enjoying your blog now for a couple of months, and it has just
    occurred to me that I don't know exactly what it is you "do"? Because it seems to me you just travel to extraordinary places and eat amazing, extraordinary food - this seems a little strange to me - how is it you have developed a lifestyle so "perfect" ?!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you