Sunday, April 14, 2024

I went to buy stamps, En Jeu! Musée Marmottan Monet

 

Two young women in pink and white by a green awning
Samedi/Saturday was gorgeous. Guess - tourists or Parisiennes?

Green lawn in a sunny Paris park
No way could you stay inside.

Cool Mint drink in a large glass
Everyone 

4 Paris girls shopping in very short dresses
Thought it was summer. 

Street poster announcing Sport art exhibit
I was headed to the 16th arrondissement to see new exhibit, En Jeu at musee Marmottan I read about in Paris Diary by Laure.

Pink cafe chairs and table with large teddybear
But essential errands first.

Saleswoman grabbing large chocolate chip cookies
A quick spin around Galerie Lafayette le Gourmet is de rigueur. Do we really need another monster cookie (gluten free) from boulangerie Copains, a new popup.

Store customers drinking Champagne
Galeries Lafayette celebrates 🥳 the sun 🌞 giving complimentary Champers 🥂 to some shoppers.

Young woman in chartreuse strapless jumpsuit
More Summery lewks

Coming up the stairs from the Meteo station
I took ligne 9 to La Muette, 16th arrondissement. Whoa! Art Nouveau cupolas
Printemps cupolas in the sunlight
Just like Les Grand Magazines

2 young women sitting in a cafe outdoors
Cafes were full of ‘real’ Parisiennes 
Paris watercolor map of public parks
I walked through the park nearby.
Donkeys eating hay in the park
 Jardin des Ranelagh and watched l’ane/donkeys eating déjeuner.

Watercolor sketches of donkeys eating hay
I sat on a bench and did a couple of sketches ✏️ Then went for lunch at très élégant Le Chalet du Ranelagh


Park snack stand
Le Chalet du Ranelagh La patron tried to stop me taking pictures Her hand 🤚 on the left.

Musée Marmottan
Enfin EN JEU!/In Play at musée Marmottan!! 
Watercolor map of Paris small museums
Marmottan
is another Paris small museum (of 140) you maybe missed last trip?

If you’re wondering…did Monet paint sportive paintings?

He did - Sailboats ⛵️ 

So did Renoir - a surprise 

A big surprise was from the Philadelphia Museum of Art (where I took finger painting classes) - Thomas Eakins’ Rowers on the Schuylkill river.

A French painter’s more relaxed version. The exhibits are arranged by sport 

Rather than chronologically and great fun. A Gustave Courbet I’ve never seen before.

I loved this Robert Delaunay painting.

Someone said this show was more fun
Than the d’Orsay big Impressionist show - Too much same ole, same ole. Hmm🧐 I haven’t seen the d’Orsay, 1874 exhibit.
To exit musée Marmottan you go downstairs and walk through a slew of stunning, 
Rarely-seen Monet water lily paintings
A secret delight.
         The ride home was uneventful.
Do you dream of 
Paris Letters in the mail 
         ☕️ Love❤️Parisbreakfast? You can buy me a KO-FI ☕️ 

26 comments:

  1. What a great idea for an exhibition during the JO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:22 AM

      Exactly Kiwi
      Their intent I’m sure👍

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Definitely Not Parisiennes in first picture with all those designer labels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:55 AM

      I agree…the baggy pants on the first, and the heavy thighs on the second give them away. And, both being buried in their phones. Carol; end the suspense. French or faux??

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:51 AM

      How do I know 😄
      But pretty obvious. Most Frenchies do not doll up like that for Saturday shopping in Chanel suits head-to-toe looks 👎
      Strictly out-of-towners. Russian? So blonde 👱

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Marmattan was one of our favorite places in Paris. Such a surprise to see the Monet paintings. Weren’t they donated by Monet’s son? The upstairs with Napoleon era items was very interesting too. It may be different now. We were there 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:11 AM

      There is still plenty of Napoleonic stuff upstairs. I didn’t linger. Went straight to their excellent gift 🎁 shop to browse.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:15 AM

      The pink crocheted purse - very unFrench

      Delete
  4. Bonnie L8:00 AM

    The Marmottan is a gem. Great theme for this Olympics year. Love the Courbet, extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:07 AM

      A wild painting 🎨 from Courbet.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Thank you for transporting me along the same route to MM on a similar sunny day in 2019. I managed to photograph the same park kiosk without the scolding hand but missed the donkeys. What an inventive idea for a show just ahead of the Olympics. The Delaunay is a knockout. And our American painters don't look too shabby, do they, in such Frenchie company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:53 AM

      Yeah us Américaines were well-represented. Nice to see 👍

      Delete
  6. Ugh, seeing the lewks makes me side eye the hoodies and jeans I'm still choosing to wear whenever I need to run to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:59 AM

      Don’t worry. I was so wearing the WRONG THING with my blue workman jacket & stripped shirt 🙄 Not that I have a pleated mini skirt in the back of my closet…but the French can turn the switch to Summer clothes so fast you don’t know what hit you. I didn’t show the girl in the sleeveless long white pique dress with sandals

      Delete
  7. Your rowers remind me of The Boys on The Boat..we enjoyed it.Love Renoir's sailboats..Cannot guess if they are Parisiennes or not ..and thick thighs? Really?I saw all types of designer labels in Paris and continue to.I've painted enough backs of people in France to know people come in all shapes and sizes even in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:05 AM

      A good reference Monique!
      I looked up the trailer 🛶
      https://youtu.be/dfEA-udzjjQ?si=y965BgQT1qANlOyM

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:25 AM

    I was on a rowing team on the Schuylkill River back in the 60's but closer to Conshohocken. Low class team. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:42 PM

      A small world 🌎

      Delete
  9. Liz Nunan, Decatur, Ga.12:09 PM

    I visit Marmottan on any trip to Paris. There is a wonderful permanent exhibit of illuminated manuscripts on the ground floor - they were of special interest to one of the family members who funded the museum, if I recall correctly. Calligraphy extraordinaire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:41 PM

      Thanks I will def look next visit!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous3:34 PM

    This was fun. The building details are breathtaking. Love the art and enjoyed the food. You hit it all. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:54 PM

    Our week in CA began with summer, progressed to spring and ended with winter AWA Catering

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of this museum -- I must check it out if I get back to Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:09 AM

      It’s one of Paris small museums

      Delete
  13. Anonymous11:17 PM

    beautiful and making me wish I was there too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:57 AM

    Jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you