Tuesday, May 28, 2024

French Girl’s Apartment

Yesterday Bethany said...I love your blog. 
Its absolutely sensational and the highlight of my days!! I was wondering if you could do a post on the typical French girls apartment. In the movies it always looks very thrown together, simple and chic. I know you must have insight on this!!!! That would be fantastic.
(This is a repost from 2010)
At first I thought no. But after careful reconsideration, I decided yes! I should show you that French girls are not so casual. In fact the opposite.This is the lovely clear entryway where I was allowed to drop my bag 💼 on arrival.

Especially now you've seen what 
a hopeless slob I am. The contrast is riveting. 
My bag from NYC MTA -it’s a New York subway map 🗺️ & always gets positive attention in Paris. Including from the staff at Pierre Herme, who like all Parisiens adore ❤️ New York madly 😵‍💫
Back to Fr Girl’s apart - I'll be discrete 
We met in NYC at Petrossian for tea ☕️ 
And show only a few select areas. 
The cuisine/kitchen
 is always immaculate. There is a place for everything & everything in it’s place. Note all the red & black/rouge et noir (so French).

An adorable welcome sign - these chalkboard decorative wall spoons with my name on them.Not a single pomme 🍎 is out of place.
I become chief dishwasher while visiting Fr girl. She does not like to faire la vaisselle 🍽️ 
I can only do dishes 🍽️ when she is not home.
Otherwise the noise is annoying 🙄 
Oui c'est vrai.
Very important coin de cuisine/corner of the kitchen.
Fr girl adores her apero in the evening.

Fr girl is a terrific cook & can whip together something fab in no time.
Notice all her books 📚 

*Stacked like books 📕 on another shelf are Fr girl’s chocolate 🍫 bars. Could you do this? 
I couldn’t 🙄 NO WAY6-7 chocolate 🍫 bars in the house at one time! Are you kidding me? 
Fr Girl would nibble ONE SQUARE every night after dinner! C’est tout.
Fr girls petit dej' - a ton of Normandie butter with a little toast & tea ☕️ on the side. This was always a shocker for me. 
Plus toujours beaucoup de confitures/jam

Fr girl was shocked at my cooking concoctions. My soup 🥣 a staple when I'm away. I make a big pot & wolf down it for a quick lunch or dinner, preferably while standing up in the kitchen. 
Fr girl renamed it,
"American Soup"
No decent French person would go near this. It's not done! 
Ah…  The French Way 🇫🇷 
I hope🙏 against hope some of Fr girl’s orderliness will rub off on me.🤞🍀 😬
I coveted Fr girl’s macaron tablier.
It's RED !
BONJOUR PARIS APPARTS!
‘Appart' is slang for apartment. This is a repost from April, 2010. French Girl now lives in Bayonne, chocolate 🍫 capitol of France 🇫🇷 
More Paris macarons are waiting for you in my shop.
I’m Carol Gillott, an artist living in Paris. Every month I send out beautifully illustrated letters that capture the true Parisian experience. Sign up to receive these whimsical treasures in the mail.
Thanks for reading PB ❤️
☕️ If you’d like to support my work, you can buy me a KO-FI here  ☕️  ❤️ Thank you so much! 

19 comments:

  1. The new season of l"agence is on Netflix..Zoe De Las Cases..was on.. her appartment too..I love that show.. over the top but I love it.Parents now reside in Brazil..I think they are missing their life in Boulogne..:) Fun post Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:49 PM

      Oh Zoé ❤️ I Luf her

      Delete
    2. Her home. just as charming:)

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L9:55 AM

    Hmm…I think they (the French in general), are neat and organized because they live in such small spaces? I aspire to be like that, instead of filling every nook and cranny with ‘stuff’. Living in a small space really appeals to me.

    Thanks for the glimpse of this cute little apartment. You have a lot of gems in your ‘vintage’ posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:52 PM

      I aspire to be like that too 🙏
      Maybe if I hire Marie Kondo 🤔

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Wondering if the macaron tablier is still available. How about the apron? Great post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:50 PM

      The tablier from 2010? I don’t think so

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Loved this vintage post of a French Girls Apartment. Neat and space efficient lifestyle. I smiled at her stack of dark chocolate. Such restraint in only having one square each eve. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:53 PM

      Yes, Suzanne the right kind of minimalism 👍

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:48 PM

    I want to see YOUR apartment! The elevator was cute! 😘Nicole 🪡 🧵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:54 PM

      Haha maybe someday..Nicole
      Don’t hold yr breath

      Delete
  6. This is a fun post, Carol. It reminds me of visiting my friend Jerry in Paris and his then-apartment was the same -- a place for everything and everything in its place! I love your paintings in this one! (But I liked your work desk best!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:27 PM

      Jerry, was influenced by his French neighbors.I am waiting for this to happen. Posting Anne’s apartment today makes me think I could try harder.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:53 PM

    I was amused with all the comments. I loved all the red and black. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:45 AM

      More Fr Girl RED & BLACK here:
      http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2011/04/fr-girls-rouge-et-noir-cuisine.html

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:26 PM

    Really enjoyed this apartment tour dear Carol...loved every little detail /especially the choco bars and the apron with those delicious macarons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:49 AM

    FR GIRL’S BOOKS:
    http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2012/05/french-girls-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:19 AM

    Very interesting about those chocolate bars stacked like books - I can't keep one bar at a time around, it's usually half gone by the time I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That shelf of chocolate bars! And the discipline to just each a little square. Seems a very French thing I wish I could do!! Such a tidy space.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you