Thursday, January 04, 2024

Astier de Villatte

 Last Thursday I showed you Melodies Graphics

This Thursday a visit to another Parisian fantasy shop, Astier de Villatte on rue 173 Saint-Honoré

Astier is mainly unique chinaware & small pricey novelties.

I once found an irresistible swan pencil sharpener for 5€…Lord knows where it disappeared to in my messy studio? 

The ground floor is full of irresistible items, if you don’t mind breaking the bank. 

It was crowded & busy with browsers, so taking photos was easy. 

Always a selection of John Derian, NYC unusual printed plates to tempt you.

I know there are some PBers…

Who pick up one piece of Astier’s signature white china on every trip to Paris. Raise your hands 👋 PBers.

I, myself covet their red, blue & white cube-patterned cups🤔 The little penguin 🐧 was très charmant also ❤️ 

Here’s a 3-minute DIY video how you can cube-pattern your walls at home, should you be so inclined.

Near the cash register there is always a pug or French bulldog 

And hovering patiently nearby, a real pug.

In November, you go up the winding, rickety staircase 

To view their vast array of Christmas tree ornaments. 

I try to visit every year at least by December. 

This year I got there mid-December. 

There was still plenty to choose from…

Some pieces look vintage. European Santas are not necessarily rotund or dressed in red. Somehow I didn’t fall victim to temptation. I escaped empty-handed.
Previous posts on Astier:
Speaking of swans 🦢 that weekend I saw a bevy of 11 swans gathered along the banks of the Seine. 

When I returned later they were behaving quite sociably. They can be cranky…

I sat
down to sketch ✏️ I’ve never seen so many gathered together. Such beauties 
Not so easy to draw as Rene Gruau.

🦢 Have a Bonne Thursday dear PBers 🦢


☕️ Or
 buy me a KO-FI ☕️ 
🧸 X X X 🐻

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 AM

    I am wide awake at 4am and I love this shop. It would be torture not to use a credit card in there. There are so many unique shops in Paris. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:43 AM

      They will be very happy to take your credit card Lynne.
      They get buyers from all over the world 🌎

      Delete
  2. I think I must never go here. Especially at Christmas. I would go bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:27 AM

      🙏 🍌 🍌🍌P
      Please come Jeanie

      Delete
  3. I love your stream of consciousness way of posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:24 AM

      ❤️🙏THANK YOU Jeri!
      I am always ready to go off on some wild tangent, down some rabbit 🐇 hole ☺️

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:56 AM

    John Derian in NyC has a pretty good selection of Astier ware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:22 AM

      Thank you! I had a shot of his plates to add & could not remember his name!

      Delete
  5. Bonnie L9:12 AM

    Astier de Villatte is always fun for ogling…although when you’re trying to downsize your household it can be torture! Love the 3D cube floor tiles in Dernier Goutte, the wine shop. Merci for the painting tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:38 AM

      Sure Bonnie, it is a den of temptation !

      Delete
  6. I would enjoybrowsing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:16 AM

      Definitely your kind of place Moniqie ❤️

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:15 AM

    I just love reading your posts. It's the closest I'll ever get to the dream of living in Paris. Thank you. M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:17 AM

      Thank you M.
      That makes me feel very good ❤️

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Thank you, thank you for your delightful letters and artwork. I have the charming portrait you painted of my two cats at Laduree in a place of honor. S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:27 AM

      That makes my day S.
      ❤️ Carolg

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:22 PM

    What an amazing shop with so many beautiful things to tempt you. I love all your photos Carol. The swans are lovely and have always fascinated me. Happy New Year to you. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:51 PM

    Thank you Carol for your generosity in providing a wonderful site filled with your artists eye for beauty and your open and joyful heart. All the best! :) A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:06 PM

    I can certainly raise my hand for a plate a visit club! I now have 12 different plates and love them. I am now having to branch out to serving bowls pitcher and cups. I must admit that on my visits in in the last two yrs i have abstained

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:22 PM

      👏👏 Bravo! Great restraint on your part…not easy.

      Delete
  12. What a great shop to visit, shopping though would be something extra. I like your swan pencil sharpener, hope it's enjoying its adventure somewhere in your apartment!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you