Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Astier de Villatte Paris

There's a tiny shop full of treasures lower end of rue Saint Honore, at 173, 75001, easily missed if you don't know the inside scoop.
That's why ParisBreakfasts is here PBers!
Bear knows about Astier de Villatte naturalement.
In fact Bear told me about it.

You may already have seen the divine all-white porcelain from Astier. They have it in ABC in New York and many other special shops.
The well-kept secret is!! Shhhhh...
Astier de Villate has the most enchanting collection of tree ornament in Paris, maybe the world. I kid you not.
Starting in early November they fill the upstairs room with bits of joy.
The vendeuse told me I was already 'Late!'
Many of the best tree ornaments have already sold out.
How is this possible? Everything looks pretty damn good (PDG) to me.
And she said, "it keeps getting earlier and earlier" (the Christmas season). So if you happen to be in Paris in November, make a mad dash over to Astier to get first dibs. I'll do the same next year or as they say here 'a la prochaine'.

Sadly the only gateaux in the joint :(
I was looking for an ECLAIR tree ornament. No way.
A big carp? No problem.
Paris' famous giant crows. You got it!
I did not see any of their stunning wolves this year. Trop tard.
Still ya gotta admit the leftover ornaments look pretty terrific non?
I'll take them in a heartbeat.
Speaking of a dear heart, lovely Macaron queen, Jill Colonna, soon to be all-time pastry queen has given the Paris Sketch letters a very nice shout-out. Do drop in if you don't know Jill's lovely blog or her book, Mad about Macarons and say Hi. You might pick up some tips to improve your macaron-making on the way.  Paris is all about desire isn't it?

33 comments:

  1. Louisa2:43 AM

    What a delightful shop!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desire, indeed! I didn't know about this gem of a wee shop. Trust you to find the cuties, Carol. I'm taking note for next year. I mean, I may just need a carp for my tree - but hopefully by that time they'll have more éclairs... and thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't everyone need a carp on their tree?
      Why wait?

      Delete
  3. Cute stuff..my kind of atelier:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cyndi from SD9:27 AM

    Absolutely lovely.
    Paris in December... the best.
    JOYEUSES FETES
    cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us to an exciting
    and lovely shop full of amazing ornaments.
    Have you already gotten your Christmas
    Tree? My daughter has one called an "Elf Tree". Very tiny, very round.
    Do they have "tree lots" in Paris for the
    season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tree lots?
      I haven't seen any yet...mostly the florists carry them and quite small too.

      Delete
  6. Is it across from Kaiser boulangerie? I wanted to go in last time I was there but cranky husband in a rush. I love the all white cat ornament and the one of girls with aprons. I need to be in Paris in Dec! Glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayser is around the corner..not far..I was oogaling his hot dogs...

      Delete
  7. Fantastic!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I collect ornaments & this drove me crazy as I know they won't have them when I'm there next May. What is a girl to do? Just desire, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG and they DONT do mail order either. Nobody in Paris does.
      Come early next NOV Nd do the chock salon too.
      Forget May!!!

      Delete
    2. Apartment rented & plane tickets bought so can't change the date.

      Delete
  9. Linda D8:05 PM

    Fabulous post, ma chere! Happy Holidays! I have always loved this store but had no idea re the Christmas ornaments. Even better than NYC's Matt McGee who has now moved to Hudson. Next year I will be in Paris in November!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This shop was already on my must see list for next April, but I am afraid they won't have ornaments there. Le sigh. Perhaps it's for the best (my suitcase and my wallet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Very beautiful shop whatever the season.
      Nor-to-be Missed!

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful photos, I love your night shots!
    The ornaments and the ambience of the store are captured beautifully.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me at all. I wish..
      It's PARIS that is stunning at nite.
      Knock yr socks off stunning!

      Delete
  12. Deborah williams7:19 AM

    Well Carol, Cheryl Taylor and I didn't know about this quaint shop. I guess we will see you next November-december to check it out. Sounds very charming. Hopefully you can meet us for coffee and croissants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved every one of
    those Christmas ornaments yesterday! I would have bought quite a few of them, given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't think carp was very Chrismasy but hey, the French make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous, I liked the pottery containers the ornaments were in the killer black clay with white glaze, so simple and such great designxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you did not settle for the carp! I am sure I saw eclair ornaments in a catalogue this year...but which one? Better to wait for the real French thing next year!
    And of course I noticed they still had rabbits....

    ReplyDelete
  17. My aunt was French and gave my mother her antique French ornaments, so charming. I never thought of giving your letters a shout out, so thanks for mentioning. I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be Very Nice French Heart !!!

      Delete
  18. Carp is a traditional "treat" from the Central/East European countries for the Christmas holidays . . Bohemia, Moravia. If you go to Prague at Christmas time you'll see all sort of tubs full of them at the markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Here I was thinking it was an Asian touch...Thanks Kim B.

      Delete
  19. What a charming place! I love the Santa ornaments, and of course, the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH! "Bear" is the smartest bear in all of Paris ... he just know about stuff and places to go - things to see. I've now put "Astier de Villate on my "must see when next in Paris" list.

    "All Things French"

    ReplyDelete
  21. i loved this post! i loved all the ornaments but what's really sticking with me is that wonderful WALLPAPER. I WANT IT.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This lush holiday post reflects the amaaaazing amount of creativity and talent residing within
    that Art spirit of yours, Carol. Gets me in the Christmas spirit, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me at all...this is one amazing shop easily missed if you were not clued in.

      Delete

Love hearing from you