Thursday, November 09, 2023

Le Pavillon Baltard, Salon du Chat

10 years ago I went to the Baltard Feline show in Nougent-sur-Marne, a few stops outside Paris on ligne RER A. 

Last Sunday I went again to the Salon du Chat because…I’m a recent cat lover (since Covid)


And because I love this grand Victorian hall

It’s the last surviving cast iron building of Victor Baltard (1805-1874) of the 10 halles he built under the direction of Baron Haussmann, during the reign of Emperor Napoleon III.

Baltard was the creator of the huge marché, Les Halles,  renown as “ Le Ventre de Paris” 

As
Emile Zola called his book 📕 But back to ze Cat 🐈‍⬛ Salon!

 
I took this overhead shot of the halle upstairs on the balcon

Twenty international judges reside & examine closely every cat for its intrinsic merits. 

Every cat gets a silk ribbon to show off, no matter how squirmy they behave on stage. This was not a happy Bengal cat 😾 *Note cat owner’s matching leopard print shoes & bag 🐆

Most cats are sleepy and better behaved. 

Like these multi-prize  🏆🏆🏆 winners. 

A cat owner relaxing along side her laid-back cats in their container

A relatively rare tortoiseshell Maine Coon takes it easy, unperturbed by the hubbub. 
700 cats of 42 different breeds, each more magnificent than the next. 

 A demonstration of how your cat should play 

With a feather 🪶 dancer. There were many on offer. 

Animal prints 🐆 are BIG in the cat home furnishing world 

As animal prints are on the backs of Parisians

I’m partial to beautiful Bengal cats 🐈 which cost a small fortune. 

More within my price range (10,99 €) is the Bengal 🐆 cup & saucer from H&M Home. I have been hunting for a year & hit it lucky 🍀 yesterday. I snagged the last cup 🤸‍♂️ Some man came in and bought a ton of cups. Fortunately he left one last teacup ☕️ + piles of saucers. 

I’ve been painting the cup nonstop

☕️ 
Or you could buy me a cup of KO-FI 
☕️
Bon Jeudi dear PBers & cat lovers ❤️




24 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:08 AM

    Love ❤️ the shot of the International judge carefully examining the fancy cat 🐱

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:09 AM

    The last shot is picture perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:38 AM

    700 cats?! Mon Dieu!! Your posts are always fascinating - this one has history, literary, artistry, and feline tidbits. Well done! I have a question for you, Carol. I have purchased several subscriptions over the years of your whimsical Paris watercolors. Sadly, I don’t need any more. I’ve seen on other peoples’ blogs that you can make a donation, sometimes labeled as “Buy me a coffee.” Do you have such an option? (I may have asked you this before.). Thank you for another delightful newsletter! From Barbara - the one whose party you came to in the Marais where you fell in love with the crackers I’d purchased at Eataly, of all places, and where we posed awkwardly for a group photo. Xxoo 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:44 AM

      THANK YOU 🙏
      I just added Buy Me Coffee ☕️ !!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:50 AM

      I found it!! 🇫🇷🇫🇷

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:45 AM

    Ahhh…Barbara of the mystery CRACKERS!!
    How could I forget ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be such fun. But I think I would attend sans Lizzie, who would not be having a good time with all that competition! On the other hand, I probably would have brought home lots of things neither Lizzie nor I needed -- but liked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:18 AM

      Still very fun to visit Jeanie 🎉

      Delete
  6. First of all, I am crazy about your animal print cup and saucer!!! I love animal print and wear a lot of it. I grew up with cats. My son has two, one of which is a Bengal. they are fascinating thinking they must be in a jungle leaping from one high cabinet to another! What don't you get a little chat to keep you company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:19 AM

      I would LOVE to get a little Chat/cat ❤️🐈

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:15 AM

    Thank you for being our eyes, ears and nose à Paris! MK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:16 AM

      Speaking of noses 👃 I left the Cat Salon smelling of cat hair…
      But continued onward to the Salon de Cultural Patrimoine - no one noticed a thing 🐈

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Those cats were beautiful! I love cats but my furniture is still recovering from my last one..two chairs have been recovered and a couch to do now having been torn to shreds. My pet would not use scratching posts or boards and preferred destroying all in sight. I still loved him. They are so sweet when little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:18 PM

      That’s the story of many cats. It’s a balancing act. Their endearing ways are hard to resist 🐈‍⬛ Training a cat is unheard of 🤔

      Delete
  9. Bonnie L11:42 AM

    What a fun outing, Carol. Thanks for the primer on Baltard. So interesting. Love your cup. You must ooze sex-appeal as you sip your tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:22 PM

      I haven’t christened the new leopard 🐆 cup yet ☕️
      My green tea stains 😳

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:52 AM

    A cat show in a beautiful building! Great way to spend a Paris day. And all things Bengal are so “you”! The guy with the suspenders looks like he belongs somewhere else though! Maybe the Ozarks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:20 PM

      Maybe in a 3-ring circus?
      Or a pub 🍺 full of cigar smoke…

      Delete
  11. sukicart1:22 PM

    That building looks fabulous as are the cats. Is there anything Paris doesn't have a salon for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:26 PM

      It’s true Suki.
      There used to be wonderful Salons for tea 🫖 …but sadly no more

      Delete
  12. Anonymous3:26 PM

    Thank you for such beautiful and interesting content. Your whimsical style is fun and uplifting and is such a treat to see. V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice Victorian building. I’m impressed there were so many cats together and mostly all well behaved. It is great having a pet, I just got a dog, it does change your daily lifestyle though 🙂🐶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:28 AM

      I LOVE ❤️ your little dog Kirra. Looks the sweetest

      Delete
  14. Anonymous10:49 AM

    I have my own Salon du Chat😺 with all your cat 🐈‍⬛ watercolors! Mary

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you