Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Île-de-France : la meilleure tarte aux pommes 2023

 

The announcement of LE MEILLEURE TARTE AUX POMME 2023 gets me running out the door 🚪 yesterday & down the rabbit 🐇 hole again. 

The WINNER IS: CHEZ MEUNIER 🏆 They happen to conveniently have a big branch inside Galeries Lafayette le Gourmet, including a cafe at 35, Bd Haussmann.

Just to the right of the back of Opera Garnier.

Which, by the  way, is the theme of Jean-Paul Hévin’s beautiful Advent Calendar this year. Hévin also has a stand inside Galeries Lafayette le Gourmet. 

By the way, I did an 
Opera Garnier Advent letter theme too…la la la la la 🐻

I’m getting ahead of myself. En route to Chez Meunier, I saw this well-co-ordinated Parisian couple toute en Burnt Siena rushing up the Metro stairs. 

I thought I’d catch the Christmas windows at GL…even though you’re thinking
 of turkey 🦃 & Black Friday (is it this week?).

Malheureusement/unhappily this was not the case. 

The windows will be unveiled TODAY! 🤸‍♂️And the star of the show… 

Is hot, young designer, Charles de Vilmorin. I think I’
ll be running up there again today 🙄 

Inside GLG I check out the latest pastry trends. It’s easy with so many  pâtissières all in one spot. The new trend is = BIG. SIZE matters! I asked the guy “Is this pain au chocolat for 10 people?” We’re both giggling 😂

The prix was big too - 37€ from pâtissière Philippe Conticini. *
Note this tiny croissant 🥐 on the left. 

P
âtisserie Yann Couvreur has gone giant-size with a very big Paris Brest noisette. 

Kind of looks like this Frenchie’s big rolled up scarf 🧣 I can’t figure out how they do that 🤔

I was inspired to paint 🎨 Yann’s Paris Brest with Champagne 🥂 

I finally make it over Chez Meunier counter, searching for prize-winning 🏆 tarte au pomme 🥧 I see another BIG PAIN AU CHOCOLAT! They’re calling it ‘BIG’ 🤷‍♀️ 

In the cafe, a woman waits for her partner to bring coffee ☕️ 

We both giggle 😂 

There was a trending giant croissant 🥐 VIDEO . Is it the inspiration? OK it’s called Croissant XL from Conticini. This is why B. has to go to GLG instead of Grand Epicerie, to get the full picture 🖼️ 

Anyhoo I finally get my slice of apple tarte & obviously it’s apple cake 😬 Rather petit non? 

I ask someone at the counter & she points to le vrai chose - winner 🏆 tarte aux pomme. Pastry research 🔬 is fun but how much can you eat?
Should I have called this post, “How I did not get to taste Le Meilleur Tarte aux Pomme de l’Île de France? 🤔
Mission not accomplished but still fun 🎉 
❤️ Please share PB with a friend ❤️
Paris gifts 🎁 & treasures are waiting for you
Or you can buy me a cup of KO-FI 
☕️
🥧  🥐  🍎 🍔 





22 comments:

  1. Oh…that tart aux pomme! I can almost taste it. Looking forward to the Christmas windows.🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:44 AM

      That’s what I thought when I saw the pic online! It got me out the door early!!

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L7:09 AM

    Funny, I don’t find those jumbo croissants the least bit appealing. How would you divide that up? A worse nightmare than cutting into a French cheese board!

    That tarte aux pommes on the other hand looks delish, along with that Paris Brest. I’d be loathe to share either. Must find my way to Galeries Lafayette le Gourmet. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:41 AM

      Yay 👏 B. It’s fun to see what Parisian pastry chefs are up to.
      Definitely a mood-elevator 🥳

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:08 AM

    Such a tiny piece of apple tarte-cake! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Love the typical rainy day shot at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:24 AM

    Love your new post! Yum! Apple tarte !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose that's fine for those who want to share! But not so good for those just seeking a nice little snack. TOO BIG! And you were a trend setter with your advent last year! Looking forward to you window posts, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:35 AM

      Man-sized? I can’t figure it out. Conticini is a very big guy…🤔

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8:41 AM

    Wow, that's Texas sized pastries there! I once learned to make Paris Brest for 10th grade high school French club banquet. It turned out pretty good for a fledgling French learner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to see the large ones but not for me:) Baking has started here for the holidays.. not a lot..:) Yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:36 AM

      You could serve it next to the turkey 🦃 = same size 👍

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Enjoyed your post immensely! Your perspective is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:06 AM

    That giant croissant! I can imagine the little shards of crust just everywhere, you would need to wear an apron to enjoy it! The apple tart and a coffee on a rainy day in Paris sounds perfect to me.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:20 AM

      Interesting perspective NANCY 😀
      I wish I could link to the TicTok !!
      The bits did go all over 👍

      Delete
  11. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Found the 🥐 VIDEO!
    https://youtu.be/UHf7WPV8UC0?si=0zaJgYyjkxbqgSSO

    ReplyDelete
  12. sukicart12:59 PM

    Unfortunately I've never been a fan of apple pie or tart but Pain au chocolat will get me every time. Love the rainy day shot and your Paris brest and champagne water color - thats the way to eat pastries..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:29 PM

      Thanks Suki. I would agree with you on apple pie (too much crust for me) but French apple tartes are more applesque in my opinion. Plus they are nicely caramelized YUM YUM

      Delete
  13. Anonymous2:12 PM

    The tarte looks wonderful. One of my favs. I put my order in. Thanks. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour! We just arrived in Paris Monday and your letters are taking on even more meaning! I am as in love with Paris as on other visits, thank you for this post! Can’t wait to ogle the Big pastries and maybe sample the Tarte au Pomme! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:29 AM

      Hooray Gayle 🎉 Just make sure you visit Galeries Lafayette Gourmet for Best comparison shopping 👍☺️

      Delete
  15. Anonymous3:27 AM

    You always make my day better! Cheers! C.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you