Friday, December 30, 2022

Yesterday in Paris with Marc

 

Yesterday I stayed in till 4 in the afternoon searching madly for a lost poppy 🌺 watercolor. I finally found it in the poppy file of course.

Then I ran to la poste, and the bank (they are closing early this week). I had plans to go to the movies later at 7:30 🕢 at Lost in Frenchlation.


I was coming out of the bank and I see my neighbor Marc, who lives across the hall. He is walking to City Pharma on rue du Four. “Wanna come?” “Sure, why not”

I had plenty of time to kill till 7:30 Do you know City Pharma? Who doesn’t? It’s the goldmine-mecca of all pharmacies world-wide where you can find EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is there looking for it.
Marc was getting some grapefruit extract as a de-tox. The French are into detox post-Christmas holidays 🦃 🥂🦞
We get on line to pay and escape into the night in the 6th arr. 
Marc, who is tall and lanky, says he walks everywhere. He doesn’t take public transport. Oh? He prefers the back streets rather than the main, crowded boulevards. OK… 
We passed a miniature shop on rue des Canettes. I can not walk by without gazing transfixed in the window. Mini Bécassine 
I am crazy for Bécassine…where is my Becassine cup?😯
Marc says he wants to show me a wall poem. We walk past towering Eglise Saint Sulpice.
On to rue Ferou. It’s more or less a pedestrian street - almost no cars, which is a good thing since you want to stop and contemplate the poem,

Rimbaud’s Le Bateau Ivre was inscribed on this wall in 2012. Marc starts to recite the poem. So French
Click the link above and watch a video with English subtitles. Its about a drunken boat that becomes filled with water etc.
We walk the darkened streets behind Saint Sulpice and see an opened doorway. Marc says, “Let’s go in”. Saint Sulpice is one of those mysterious French churches that feels a bit abandoned.
Yet it has marvelous murals by Delacroix you could easily miss. We walk in a circle around the church in a clockwise direction. Everyone else is walking the other direction. Marc says this is wrong 😑 OK. I didn’t know and have been walking counter-clockwise the wrong direction for years. 
Marc offers me a candle and I light one for my dear ❤️ friend Alison who I lost last week 🙏 A bell 🔔 rings. Marc says, 
"Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings" and he rings a bell.
We come out and head for home passing a tea shop I wouldn’t mind going in for a closer look at their ginger cookies. We keep on walking. Marc doesn’t eat sugar. 
We pass
one of Paris’ older movie theaters. Did you know there are 310 movie theaters in Paris? It is movie theater capitol of the world. London only has 164.
Marc says he sees a movie everyday thanks to a UGC subscription. I used to have a subscription but I didn’t go enough. Did I say Marc is a movie set designer, when he isn’t off in India. 
Marc says we must cross rue des Écoles to see a special painting in a bookshop window. I have walked up this street many times, yet never seen this painting.

Its the fox and the crow from the Jean de Fontaine fable.
 The crow has found a piece of cheese (brie) and sits on a branch to eat it. 
The fox, wanting it for himself, flatters the crow, calling him beautiful and wondering whether his voice is as sweet to match. When the crow lets out a caw, the cheese falls and is devoured by
the fox. The moral:
1. Quick thinking solves many problems
2. Never trust a flatterer
The funny thing is Marc is from the town of Meaux outside Paris, famous for its mustard and Brie. 
We turn down rue des Bernardines and there is a huge Nativity scene in front of the college. 
Finally crossing Pont Sully, almost home, w
e marvel at the passing bateaux mouches. Marc knows their names. This one is called ‘Hope’. We have been walking 3 hours!
I run inside, grab my puffer coat, gloves, hat and rush off to catch the terrific film Mascarade at Lost in Frenchlation (new French films with English subtitles) in the Marais. The first movies I’ve seen in years and I am loving it ❤️
What a long ‘shaggy dog story’ this has turned into. TMI PBers? 
Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast. You can support 🐻  by subscribing to Paris letters,maps watercolors.
               ❤️ 🥐  ☕️ ❤️ Bonjour Vendredi ❤️ ☕️ 🥐  ❤️

40 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:25 AM

    lovely story- I was completely along for the ride with you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:52 AM

      Maybe one of the longest evening strolls I’ve ever been on but I’m up for more. Why stay in when you can see tout Paris? And with someone who sees and enjoys so much👍

      Delete
  2. A most delightful and eclectic evening stroll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:53 AM

      Indeed it was. It ended with a gift of some Russian chocolates 🍫 of all things. Not quite like Paris Chocolat but quand même

      Delete
  3. Appears as if you had a delightful evening with a charming companion seeing Paris through his eyes. THREE hours of walking…you deserved something sweet. 🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:14 AM

    Carol, i think this is one of my favourites of your posts. To begin your evening with such purpose but then to be swept away by serendipity into someone else's plan. To walk Paris in an altogether new way just as though you were once again newly arrived and hadn't yet found your own routes yet. Marc must have loved showing you one of his Parises. Lucky you! Merci et bonne année! [ Tant pis about those ginger cookies :( ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie L7:36 AM

    Any adventure that begins at CityPharma is destined to be epic! What an evening you had, Carol. Thanks for bringing us along on your magical mystery tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your adventure and photos. I love seeing/reading about how Parisians spend their days and time! I look forward to finding that poem on my next visit there. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:21 AM

    Absolutely perfect of a night in Paris. Should be entered in competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:00 AM

      What? Dancing with the Stars. There was a half moon 🌙 out

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:54 AM

    What a fun neighbor you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:56 AM

      Yes I do! If only he would stay more often on the continent 🙏

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:24 AM

    how lovely! i adore impromptu as it always promises something new and exciting....how nice to see things through another's eyes....happy new year....i love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:58 AM

      Exactly! So many things I have waltz by and not noticed. Its a shock.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous9:54 AM

    I thoroughly enjoyed your post as it is a truly delightful personal experience and might even reveal the definition of flaneur...although I probably don'r entirely understand the subtleties of that word. 🤫 NJP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Loved coming along with you and Marc on your impromptu evening stroll...and visiting Paris through his eyes. Let's do it again! Condolences on the loss of your friend Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Happy New Year dear Carol! Your posts are a joy to me and bring Paris in all its glory to my morning coffee. Be well🌟

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Bécassine as well so many memories..and all the Santons around la crèche.

    ReplyDelete
  14. have always walked by that pharma, but afraid to go in with the lines. for the last 8 years we only walk in paris..usually about 15-20 miles a day. no more transport

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Carol, I do enjoy your PB posts. My friend Mike W referred me! Will be in Paris in 64 days. Always see something new.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So in City Pharma, you climb the stairs to get to the Orthopedic section? Am I reading this correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:18 PM

    This post was magical. Marc is obviously a keen observer and it was wonderful to share your impromptu exploration of Paris together. Love the painting of the crow and the fox. I will need to check out the You Tube of the poem. The church was lovely and my condolences on the loss of your friend Alison. You certainly deserve some of those ginger cookies after a 3 hour walk. Really enjoyed your adventure Carol. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a delightful end of the year post - Marc appears to be just the person to take an impromptu walk around Paris with and find new things - one of the most loveable things about Paris is that there is always something new around the next corner. Happy New Year to you and Bear, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I say, "...just go with the flow!" I loved this post because you had someone else leading the script! What fun to see that Rimbaut poem carved into the wall! Everything from walking clockwise in St. Sulpice to learning about the back streets was interesting and new to me! Give Marc a high 5 from me! Glad you enjoyed the trip as well and still didn't miss your movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1:00 PM

    Mark is certainly a fascinating neighbor to have. Trés intressant. Do you or Mark know that Eligse Saint Sulpice is the Church Dan Brown wrote about in Divinci Code. It has a brass stripe imbedded in the marble floor to mark a solstice.

    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-rose-line-in-saint-sulpice-church-paris-france-featured-in-the-24512272.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:51 PM

      Thanks, I did not know this!
      More Saint Sulpice info:
      *Construction of the church ran from 1646 to 1745, dragging out for a century mostly due to inconsistent funding. It’s done in a muted Baroque style.
      *Saint-Sulpice was where the S&M enthusiast the Marquis de Sade and the poet Charles Baudelaire were baptized, and it hosted the wedding of author Victor Hugo.
      *It boasts iconic mismatched towers.
      *The church is home to one of the most magnificent organs in the world.
      *It’s known as the Cathedral of the Rive Gauche, or Left Bank.
      *Saint-Sulpice became even more famous by being featured in a scene in Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code involving its gnomon, an astronomical instrument erroneously depicted as the site of the Rose Line

      Delete
  21. Anonymous1:15 PM

    What a perfect way to spend a day and evening in Paris. I love walking in that city. Like NY, you never run out of new discoveries. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Oh, how I loved this? In the days when I went to Paris this area in the 6th was my neighborhood, and I knew St. Sulpice inside and out. Thank you, Carol, et Bonne Année!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely walk. I missed rue Servandoni
    in your story plus that pearl of a tiny utterly Parisian restaurant the Au bon saint Pourcain on 10bis
    www.bonsaintpourcain.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:42 PM

      Bon Saint Pourcain serve radishes with strawberries..near the Drunken Boat wall poem..a tad pricey for my pocketbook but it looks very nice 🙏 Thanks

      Delete
  24. Anonymous9:01 PM

    This was so much fun. Somehow those gingerbread cookies would have found their way into my pocket for the movie. That was quite a walk. You deserve those cookies. Happy New Year Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:08 PM

    WHAT A GREAT POST!! PURE “SERENDIPITY”, PURE “ONLY IN PARIS”, PURE “CAROL DELIGHT”!! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:07 AM

      You’re welcome CARLA!!

      Delete
  26. Anonymous2:42 PM

    What a delightful post. Happy New Year.
    Madonna from makeminlemon

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year Carol! This was a very enjoyable post to read, kind of like a short film. great fun to follow you and your neighbour Marc on a walk around Paris. I enjoyed the poem video about the drunk boat too.
    I’m still thinking about that Grapefruit essence though, is it to put in water like you can do with lemon? I think to aid digestion? That is cool you can see French films with English subtitles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:04 AM

      I wish I knew Kirra..I will ask when he gets back from swimming 🏊🏽‍♀️ in Marseilles

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, if you remember ask him how his detox went with the Grapefruit. I’m going swimming here in Australia but it’s hot summertime!

      Delete
  28. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous7:55 PM

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you