Friday, June 23, 2023

Tuesday in Paris, Cafe Verlet, Maison Plisson

 

How did they know? I was seated next to the lush pastries in the window at Cafe Verlet.

I only admired from a distance. Too early in the morning for sweets I thought…though someone else was intrepid and had an eclair for breakfast! All delights from Carl Marletti

Cafe Verlet is a classic old coffee shop on 256, rue Saint Honoré selling home-roasted coffee beans, teas, spices and candied fruits.

In 1921 it was taken over by 
Auguste Woehrlé, known as Verlet. A sailor on commercial ships and importer of coffee beans from Latin and Central America, the young man moved to Paris to take over his godmother's establishment. 

Darling Shannon and Wlady Grochowski of La Châtelaine Chocolat Co. & French Chocolate Retreats invited me there but we didn’t make it. Time to explore myself. 

Plus I was looking for Paris coffee ☕️ cups of distinction - something different to paint then dainty British teacups from class

A peek at the menu at Verlet. 

I ordered a cafe au lait/latte because I liked the cup and pitcher on my neighbor’s table. Have you been to Cafe Verlet?

This was the first jam to pass my lips since our immersive visit to Maison Christine  Ferber in Alsace last September. I can say without reservation if you have a serious jam addiction and need an intervention 🙏 Christine Ferber’s is the place to go = Instant cure! Now to find an ice cream 🍦 factory that will let me inside 🙏

The framboise/raspberry confiture at Cafe Verlet is specially made for them 
By multi-award winning 🥇 Stephan Perrotte of Angers, la Loire and seems better than eating the real fruit! Somehow I resisted doing a taste-test of Ferber vs. Perrotte. Mon dieu 🙏

Just across the street from Cafe Verlet is everyone’s favorite eclectic china shop, Astier de Villette. You can see they have the latest technology in French style A.C.

I thought I might find some cups to paint 

But those stacks of big loopy handles 😱 are de trop/OTT

Just down the street from Cafe Verlet is a new buckwheat restaurant I’ve yet to try. 

It looks like strictly crepes. Are you nutz about buckwheat too?

But sadly they have no beloved Soba noodles 😳 on the menu. It’s toute Normand.

Just to get your bearings - a map 🗺️ of the area in case you want torun over there.The Metro stop is Palais Royale-Louvre.

These Frenchies look like they could use a map. Summer has really hit in Paris.

At around 8 am same day, while wasting time on instagram, the algorithm popped up this black Vichy-check shopping bag 💕 from epicerie Maison Plisson. Instagram knows me too well 😵‍💫

The bag is
waterproof, sturdy, has a hard base, plus a place for 2 bottles of wine - absolutely essential non? Perfect for la piscine 🏊 A must-have! I’m praying 🙏 I don’t lose it 🤞

Maison Plisson is a smaller, just as fancy foodie lover’s shop similar to La Grande Epicerie, on 93, bd Beaumarchais in the Marais.

I finally got to the pool 🏊 after running 🏃‍♂️ all over and then back home to paint Paris cups. Do you have a favorite Paris cup ☕️ for me to paint? Do tell PBers 🙏

Tomorrow, Saturday I will have a WEEKEND WATERCOLOR SALE on Etsy 🤸‍♂️ More info to come tomorrow 👏
If you’re wondering about La Fete de la Music on Wednesday night - it was extremely loud 🎵 
🙏Thank you to those who were concerned about the explosion in Paris. Fortunately I was no where near it. 
Very sad about the loss of the Titan 🙏


26 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:25 AM

    Always love reading your post Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:56 AM

      Thank you ❤️☕️☺️

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:27 AM

    Yummy pastry at Verlet. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:55 AM

      Have you been to Cafe Verlet? Don’t know why it took me so long?

      Delete
  3. Let’s try this again! How do you cover this much ground!!! I like that table cloth with the cutlery. Cups, pitchers, etc. on top! Who could miss Buckwheat with the electric blue entrance. You must try and report back. The checked bag is great. Your Ritz cup water color is lovely. 🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:52 AM

      Thank you Ga ☺️
      You know how to “MAKE MY DAY” as Clint Eastwood said
      Usually I come home & collapse after running 🏃‍♂️ around
      Now I put my feet up against the wall for 20 & recover a little…☺️

      Delete
  4. Your silver pot paintings -- wow. You just nail it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:46 AM

      Thank you Jeanie ❤️ The silver teapot is my bright shiny thing fixation ☺️

      Delete
  5. Im so glad you took her classes.I get to see more of your teacups:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:48 AM

      Ahhh…addicted to teacups ☕️
      You would do well in her class Monique
      Much better than moi because you can bake a cake 🍰
      i.e. You can FOLLOW DIRECTIONS 👏
      Why not expand your horizons?

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:44 AM

    I really miss visiting France. The pastries in your current post made my mouth water. They are delicious and delicious for the eyes! Caroline N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:39 AM

    One of each pastry, please
    Franklin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:41 AM

      The pastries 🥮 are on their way to you c/o la poste 📬

      Delete
  8. Bonnie L12:33 PM

    Don’t know Cafe Verlet (yet!), but do know Carl Marletti! I would have had one of those vanilla eclairs for breakfast too. Vanilla eclairs are my favorite food in the whole world!

    Love your cup watercolors and your new stylish pool tote! Looking forward to your watercolor SALE! 👍🏻👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:08 PM

      ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  9. Dorrance12:35 PM

    Stunning photo of the setting sun, Carol. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:10 PM

      The skies in Paris are ever-changing and spectacular
      When it isn’t raining ☔️

      Delete
  10. sukicart1:34 PM

    I think an eclair or mille fueille or almost any pastry is a great breakfast. Being an adult means you can eat pastries whenever you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:07 AM

      Some doctors would disagree… high blood sugar spikes to begin the day are NOT the best route to take 🤔
      https://nourishedbyscience.com/2022/11/29/regulation-of-blood-sugar/

      Delete
  11. Anonymous1:04 AM

    Both of these places look to be right near our hotel! KK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Have written down info on Cafe Verlet and will add it to my agenda in next trip to Paris,
    Sent your email to my daughter who lives in Hawaii but use to live in Paris and she says she regrets missing this cafe in her time there. James

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:26 PM

    WOULD LOVE A BIRD LETTER!! THANKS, DEAR LADY!! CARLA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the outing, your new pool bag looks and sounds excellent, good purchase! Enjoy the pool. Loving the tea cups and breakfast.
    I think in old buildings that’s the easiest type of AC to get, I’ve had quite a few versions here in Australia, from none when I was a child to pretty good what we call ‘reverse cycle’ systems now, which are used for cooling and heating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:35 AM

    Reading your post magically transports me back to Paris and all its delights! Love your delicious outings and offerings…Thanks for your photographs and creations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all the wonderful locations in this post! I'm heading out next week to find that Plisson bag! Do you just love it? Available in the store?

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you