Sunday, June 25, 2023

Looking for Mr Good Bird

 

I’m sitting on Bus 72 at around 5:30 pm, plotting my pursuit of le petit rouge-gorge/robin (European not American) 

Only then do I notice it says, 
Exclusivité web, non vendu en magasin’ / 
Exclusively on the web, not sold in store 😵‍💫

Why this little bird 🐦 is not available for immediate purchase I do not know. Why anyone would want a faux robin sitting in their jardin is another unanswered question? Who are they fooling?

At this point I’m beginning to feel like Sir Galahad in quest of the Holy Grail 

I remembered BHV had the same bird listed as garden decor last year (with a 24hr. pre-order wait required). I stay on the bus and get off at BHV wishing & hoping🙏 I was sent up to the 4eme floor. No way José 

Just for fun & because I’m there I go bird hunting. A somewhat Picasso-esque dove peace plate from Gien

This collection was designed by Jean-Charles Castelbajac 

I decide to comb the entire store for birds of a feather 🪶 This little sparrow(I depend on you PB birders 🐦 to correct me🙏) is c/o Villeroy & Boch, a high-end maker of fine china.

Still desperately seeking anything robinesque, I find this Mallard 🦆glass. Imagine finishing your drink and finding a duck lurking in the bottom? Quelle surprise 😦 

Franchement, I prefer the glass with the ladybugs 🐞 coccinelle  sitting on the outside, where I can keep an eye 👁️ on them. 
BHV describes these items: The Italian brand Ichendorf Milano, reinvents poetic design tableware with creations that invite you to daydream 💭 

There is no robin in the collection seems a big oversight since I’m constantly daydreaming 😴 of robins.

Other BHV birds of a feather 🪶 that failed the robin test yesterday. The lower right looks like a seal to me. Or is it a pigeon. What do you think?

Other news of grave import: I am saddened to tell you Cafe Saint Regis no longer is serving their boissons in cups & saucers ☕️ Thank you Ginn for breakfast yesterday 👏

They have moved on to a signature Mug! Why? Less breakage? Should I paint this mug? Mugs are probably not allowed in Liz’s teacup class

Do you have a preference? Mug or coffee cup. Is toute Paris abandoning the cup for the mug? Qui sait? I am definitively a ‘Cup person’. Although I have thought of painting a breakfast mug with robins all over it…

Thank you dear PBers for letting me know there is a big difference between the chubby American robin and the adorable petit European robin 🙏 

No wonder I’ve fallen so hard❤️
❤️
THANK YOU dear PBers for showing up at the WEEKEND WATERCOLOR SALE 👏 It will be extended through Monday. Pet Portraits & Champagne 🍾 included 🎉👏
❤️❤️❤️Happy Dimanche PBers ❤️❤️❤️



44 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:28 AM

    That Villeroy & Boch cup and saucer with the little bird: maybe a female sparrow? Do male birds tend to be more colorful?
    Love your post, Carol! Thank you so much.
    Maria Russel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:44 AM

      Thanks Maria for the heads up
      Très charmant !

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:48 AM

    It’s a chicadee. Their sound is like chicadeedeedee! St Regis with mugs? Could Angelina’s be next? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:44 AM

      I knew I could depend on my people 👍👏👏☺️
      Big Merci

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:05 AM

    Hi! I prefer cups too. But to appreciate sturdy mugs, you need a beautiful Emma Bridgewater robin mug. I have a half dozen of theirs with different birds; so cheerful! The blue tit is especially endearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:45 AM

      Wonderful to know
      Thank you muchly 👍

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:17 PM

      Emma also has beautiful flower mugs!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:06 AM

    Thank you so much for your newsletter. I really look forward to reading it! It brings a little joy every time! JH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:23 AM

    I happened to stumble across a photo about a year ago of a Tasmanian robin and fell hard for that pretty fella. You can see him here if you like - https://duadepaton.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/PinkRobin-1200px-Category-600x600.jpg . Good luck on your hunt! Many good things come to those who (read your newsletter) wait. -k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:09 AM

      Thank you K 💋
      Pink-breasted robins in Australia!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:53 AM

    Yep, it's a Chickadee -- another adorable bird. I have some that frequent my bird feeders at home. Thanks for the wonderful newsletters! They are such fun! Hope you find a European Robin. 🤞🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie L7:01 AM

    Another vote for chickadee on that mug! Me thinks you should just order up that rouge-gorge and have it delivered to your door. Give up the quest (although everyone needs a quest!).

    I’m a fan of cups, not mugs, although I have my tea in a glass. I remember staying in a small hotel on the Seine (les Rives de Notre Dame), breakfast was delivered to our room on VB ‘French Garden’ china. So delightful having your morning tea in a cup with clusters of cherries, your fruit in a bowl festooned with lemons! So many China patterns, so little time.

    Love your Petit Dej map! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:52 AM

      Yes, I am going to order it.
      There is no other way to get my paws on it
      Les frustrés 😵‍💫

      Delete
  8. Anonymous7:02 AM

    I’m curious. Why don’t you look up the correct words in French before posting? For example, a coccinelle is a ladybug. It has nothing to do with a pig- un cochon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:49 AM

      Because I must Post by 8 am
      And I did look it up
      Google was beaucoup confusing

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:50 AM

      And I am curious why you are here & so rude?

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:07 AM

    Love your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate your valiant efforts in your search for the European robin! Just look at all of the things you discovered in the process. Maybe you could expand from cups to a mug. Who knows a new passion may be in your future. Whatever you paint, we are all going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:48 AM

      ☺️ THANKS D - I shall consider becoming a Mugster 🤔 Why not?

      Delete
  11. Anonymous7:46 AM

    The Eastern Bluebird is my vote!
    Male is the prettiest! They come back to their boxes and lay beautiful blue eggs and raise families every year!
    Love your posts!💙 A&D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:06 AM

      I have two Eastern Bluebird families in my backyard. One of the males is at my window every morning as soon as I open the blinds. He is desperately fighting his reflection. He flies at the window fighting and fluttering. We imagine he tells his mate as he leaves the birdhouse “Bye hon gotta go get that bird”.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:47 AM

      What a funny bird story They are quite wonderful creatures with comical antics !

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:48 AM

      Absolutely LOVE ❤️ Bluebirds 🐦

      Delete
  12. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Dear Carol--I loved learning about the European robins and all your adventures. I must say I'm sad about the transition from cups to mugs! Oh dear. Anyway, I love you and your art and your stories. Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:46 AM

      Thanks so much Jamie ❤️

      Delete
  13. Anonymous8:52 AM

    I'm quite certain the bird in question is a chickadee. We have them arriving at our feeder daily. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:46 AM

      It’s Wonderful to get correct bird 🐦 identification 👏👏👏
      Bird song is what I would love to be able to identify 🎵

      Delete
  14. Anonymous9:16 AM

    A sad sign of the times - the trading out of cups/saucers for mugs. Mugs are less money to maintain, but at a loss of style. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:44 AM

      I know 🙁
      What can one do?
      It probably has some to do with Covid or inflation of china prices or…🤔

      Delete
  15. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Your Paris newsletter is quite wonderful. I learn about so many new thing in Paris. Your watercolors are fabulous. I loved the article about the robins. I felt like I was walking through BHV with you and sipping coffee at St. Regis. R.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do they have any ‘paint-your-own’ cermanic places in Paris? You could make your own exquisite set. And we’d buy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:33 PM

      I never heard of that. Where do they have that?

      Delete
  17. sukicart1:58 PM

    I prefer a sturdy mug at home but like a cup when in a cafe. Cannot explain why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:33 PM

      Totally agree. I do the same thing ☕️

      Delete
  18. In Australia we have Schiaparelli pink robins! You would love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:55 PM

      Wow They are FABULOUS! Coco Chanel would be so jealous 🎀

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:18 AM

      You can see that robin right here - https://duadepaton.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/PinkRobin-1200px-Category-600x600.jpg

      Delete
  19. Anonymous10:52 PM

    I tried to find the Gien design here but it’s not in US. I love that Robin Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:08 AM

      French products are near impossible to find in the US -> duty

      Delete
  20. I love all robins but the European is so darned pretty vs. the more handsome American. I like a mug but feel more special with a cup. Go figure. If I see a robin around here, I'll keep my eyes open (Faux robin, that is! I see the others constantly!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:07 AM

      Faux or vrai anything you see Jeanie is worth noting 👍☺️

      Delete
  21. Anonymous2:06 AM

    No, I don’t like the mugs. Probably driven by American’s wanting a BIG cup of coffee ☹️ Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is strange when you want something small and simple and you have to order it online. Thanks for the bird tour of BHV, but nothing as cute as your robin.
    I definitely prefer cups when going to cafes, as I use mugs at home except for the weekend when I have time for a teapot and tea cup. I wonder if you can ask for a cup?? I think mugs are a bigger size, so people might like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:05 AM

      I did ask for a cup instead…somewhere else and they brought a GLASS! Later I saw the lunch cups ☕️ stacked waiting to be washed 😳
      Idiocy !

      Delete

Love hearing from you