Thursday, October 25, 2018

Saint Regis letter & Petit Dejeuner Letter

NEWS ALERT! The October letter from Paris is in la Poste 📬 for those wondering what happened.

You would think painting a Paris breakfast would be easy. It was not.

Rob & Bonnie took me for an exceptional petit dejeuner at SAINT REGIS CAFE on Ile Saint Louis, 6, rue jean du Bellay 75004 I was surprised.

They get their jam from their sister, Cafe Senequier in Saint Tropez. I'm pretty sure that's a first.

I usually get the standard fare...the basic formule.

Many sketches later.

It took 3 finishes until I got one I liked. 

Am I rusty painting breakfasts?

The October paris breakfast map was a whiz on the other hand. 
 
   Course I did have to eat a lot of scones & croissants. Pure torture.

The scones at Cafe Shakespeare & Co come highly recommended. 37, rue de la Bucherie 75005

Guess what? Next door at LE PETIT PONT you get the same Notre Dame views as Shakespeare (minus delish scones) maybe the cheapest p'tit dej in Paris for a mere 4€.

Going much more high end is CLAUS PARIS. They have a branch at 2, rue Clement 75006

They only do breakfast and superbly. On the weekends they ONLY do brunch so fait attention!

I loved the red, white and blue striped china at old CAFE DANTON at Odeon. PD was OK but the cup and saucer was to die for.

CAFE BONAPARTE used to have adorable red/white/blue china. No more. Why change? Still their breakfasts are excellent. 42, rue Bonaparte 75006

CAFE DU MARCHÉ can not be bad on the corner of rue de buci and rue de Seine. I have yet to try it so it didn't make my Left Bank breakfast map. More breakfast maps to come.

I had breakfast here a very long ago with Tongue in Cheek. Good too but there simply wasn't space.

BENOIT CASTEL's new fabulous boulangerie in the 20th at 150 rue de Menilmontant requires its own map and letter. You can get lunch, brunch and breakfast here. Bus 96 stops nearby.

Thank you Coco Jobard for taking me! More to come soon.
Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast. 
You can get both Parisbreakfast letters 💌 and maps (bonus watercolors too) in your mailbox 📮, look in my Etsy shop. 
Belle journée bises d'automne

28 comments:

  1. Ahh..the things you have to endure as a painter:)♥C'est beau..and breakfasts are always so cute to me.Why do I always eat my greek yogurt..granola and honey? Boring moi.
    Your stalker here bought a little divided water vessel like yours;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice M
      I bought 2 more water containers whilst back in the states. My big acquisition from Hyatt art supplies.

      Delete
    2. By the way GrecYogurt is BIG in Paris FYI !
      I have it everyday made from Greek cows or so Mavaromattis says..
      Not sure if the cow has emigrated or what?

      Delete
  2. Kathleen H9:59 AM

    Love all the food and drawings

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME WHEN I AM TRYING TO EAT LESS?
    I will never be sylphlike if you keep this up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob and Bonnie10:04 AM

    Merci beaucoup, Dear Carol! I feel like I’ve hit the big time -being in Paris Breakfast’s blog (if only peripherally ((my wrists look so slim!)). ☺️
    That 4€ breakfast is a steal for Paris. We need to go there. Was it Le Petit Châtelet? Le Petit Pont? Our first two trips to Paris we stayed at the Parc St Séverin, right around the corner. I think we went to both...nothing better than having a drink looking across the river at Notre Dame, lit up through the fog

    ReplyDelete
  5. These breakfasts all look very tasty, sorry it was such a pain to paint the right one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes making art entails pain.
      Better than washing dishes pain or typying letters, especially when you can't spell...

      Delete
  6. Kathleen T12:15 PM

    Forget fine French cuisine - I go to France mainly for the breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast is how I ended up in France !

      Delete
  7. I love breakfast especially in Paris but usually have it in our apartment. Last trip we ate a slice of Praululine for breakfast every day with our coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean Poilâne?
      Or the pink candied bread!?

      Delete
    2. The pink candied bread - praululine from Pralus, it is heavenly.

      Delete
  8. Cyndy S2:30 PM

    Love to eat at st Regis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh rue de Seine, I know that corner so well. I always stay around the corner at Hotel de Seine. Love that neighborhood oh so much. How I would love any of these breakfast places.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn S7:08 PM

    Delightful.
    My favorite meal.
    And I make great scones!
    I have a feeling you dont eat much breakfast. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be wrong.
      Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day
      I Never go without it!

      Delete
  11. Carol, you draw your figures so perfectly always (as your waiters here). Wondering if you spent a lot of time studying anatomy or if it's a gift, as your people look so real.
    Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved anatomy in art school...spent tons time drawing croquis(quicki figure drawings). Now its easy. I even borrowed a pelvis for a while...obsessed as ever

      Delete
  12. You make it look so easy and beautiful. I didn't realize until now how hard it really is to get it right.

    Thanks as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it comes easily. And others you slave and fret and sweat

      Delete
  13. Judy H7:17 AM

    Love, love the dishes in 3rd picture! Square plate with little cubes of ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The square cups hold jam! From the big jam jars for the toast points.
      You better come to Paris!!

      Delete
  14. Blaise B10:14 AM

    Your petite paintings are a big hit in our “art barn.” Thank you for your paintings, even though they may – at times – give you heartburn. Know that you make many people very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bobbie with an E3:02 PM

    Thought you’d find this walking in Paris article in the NYTimes in interesting.
    Bobbie, with an e
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/travel/paris-on-foot.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobbie

      I already read it and every single comment.
      Fabulous!

      Delete
  16. You are so talented and I can't tell you how much I enjoy your quick little ditties that you paint. I think your breakfast watercolors are exciting and they teach me that total detail is not necessary. Sometime I obsess! Thank you for your emails and blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you