Monday, February 20, 2012

Downton Abbey


 Strawberry tea at Downton Abbey
 
 How will we ever wait for Season 3 of Downton Abbey after last night's finale? That is the big question. At least there was resolution to the Lady Mary-Mathew question.
 
Did you know all this intense interest in English country houses was ignited in 1974 with the Roy Strong exhibit at the Victoria and Albert museum? Before that most grand houses were neglected and left to the demolition ball - hundreds of them.
 There has been a great flurry of activity leading up to yesterday's finale.
 
 Ralph Lauren has embraced DA without reservation.
 
 Frankly I can do without Ralph Lauren's interpretation of valet Mr. Bates outfit easily.
 
 On the other hand these paperdolls by illustrator Kyle Hilton are simply adorable. You can download them at New York Magazine.
 
 Also adorable is the BBC's parodie of 'Down Town Abbey'
 
 For total immersion sans PBS/Netflix get your paws on The World of Downton Abbey.
 
 It's really quite terrific and second best to the best escape around(DA) other than eating gelato.
 
 Did you know before big houses installed the bell-board system (in the 1820s) 'footmen had to sit on hard chairs within earshot of the family' waiting for the call to attend. Horrors. The World of Downton Abbey is full of useful trivia like that. Plus how DA came in to existance at all.
 *Spoiler alert. I'm certainly glad we have Lady Mary's wedding to look forward to after so much war, devastation and several funerals. We're overdue.
I like this advice DA author Julien Fellowes said his father once gave him:
If you have the misfortune to be born into a generation which must earn its living, you might as well do something amusing.”

21 comments:

  1. One day I will see it:) But I did print out the dolls and showed my friend who was watching it last night also..
    Thank you!Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carol, that watercolor is fabulous! The cup is incredible. Well done. We watched the last Downton Abbey and it saddened me that my mom and dad couldn't have enjoyed it--they'd have loved it. It was good fun. I'll look forward to the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you paint white - it's so delicate. And yummy.

    I have to get on the stick and start watching Downton Abbey. Goodness. I'm missing out on something evidently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. watch Gosford Park in the meantime Ducks
    Same deal..terribly amusing
    xcg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post Carol- we are totally hooked on DA. Aside from the characters the setting is just spectacular. I adore the costumes and decor. I will look for the parody to get us through. Your strawberry tea painting is just lovely... thank you for sharing it with us.
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of resolution last night, but plenty of cliffhanging too. Mr. Bates please don't do anything that will get you further trouble.. And would someone please help him?
    I've heard they are filming 3.
    Wonderful behind the scenes last night.
    It is a fantastic watercolor!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:40 PM

    I'm a big fan of Downton's but am always concerned about the public overly glamorizing the life at the time, including the hard-but-noble portrayal of what a servant's life was.

    To supplement the Downton craze (and kill time while season 3 arrives) I HIGHLY recommend the 'Manor House' PBS 'social reality' show produced back in 2003.

    I've been watching it over the past week and think all Downton fans will love it!!! Pauline (from CA)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to know they will marry at last! Could not face another year worrying about how to get Lady Mary married off to the right one!
    The BBC spoof is hysterical! Love the comment about the precis for idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to see it!
    I do hope to do something "amusing"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As one of the generation of the "Working Class," I find myself continually amused at the foibles of my fellow citizens, no matter the class.
    Myself included, of course.
    And oh yes, Carol, your beautiful
    and elegant painting is so veddy veddy appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanna go!

    If you're a Whitney Houston fan you should check out my Tribute Covers:
    http://youtube.com/erikafatale

    -Love Erika xo
    http://theboudoirmemoirs.blogspot.com/
    @ErikaFatale

    ReplyDelete
  12. The painting is wonderful. Love that cup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sad that it's ended again. I hate the wait for the next installment. I can't believe that Lady Mary is such a snoot that she, after all her bad choices, still insists that Matthew bend the knee. She should have fallen into his arms in sheer relief! But that would have been out of character.
    Carol, your tea cups are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margaret5:00 PM

    Many thanks for the Downton Abbey blog today. I loved it!

    And in 2 weeks I am attending a D.A. dinner - dressed in costume.

    Who knew DA would be loved as much or more than Upstairs Downstairs of many years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I don't think you'd be at all impressed by the wardrobe of Friday Night Lights. But House of Elliott, oooouuuiiii!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyfulartist,
    you are suffering from instant gratification.
    You must learn to wait -Go to France and get adopted.

    I was rather pleased Lady Mary still insists on 'holding her cards'. Mathew didn't mind a bit getting down on bended knee either.
    After all, certain things must be donw a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Elizabeth6:28 PM

    Loved this blog entry!

    L'Wren Scott's Fall 2012 collection is also based on "Downton Abbey."

    ReplyDelete
  18. .. oh Carol, what a great post .. you know something will stumble in the way of Mary and Matthew, who knows what. It just won't be allowed to go smooth. And grandma from the USA arrives next season, Shirley MacLaine ... she could be great or real trouble, since it was Lady Cora's family who pumped money into the Abbey.

    Funny story ... my friend asked his wife who she was rooting for for on superbowl sunday, and she said Lady Mary and Matthew -ha!

    I can't wait ... but will have to as we have had to wait forever for Mad Men. 3/31 resumes.

    Lovely painting as usual.

    Best, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol I have loved this series so much I fear I make go into a deep withdrawal!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE your watercolour!
    Yes, the British press and public are far more critical, with good reason, of Fellowes' script (though that doesn't stop them watching it in their millions!).
    Funny spoof - perhaps the best part being the AbFab duo Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders perfectly cast?!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you