Thursday, July 12, 2007

Shoe Designer...

 I like to throw in the odd picture of shoes here and there in a post.

The Paris METRO is always a good place to steal shoe shots.

Or just window shopping late at night...
 
I spotted a decorative Indian pillow case and decided it would make a good espadrille.When the orders piled in, the problem was where to find more of the same mirrored Indian pillowcases.
and designed a "Fred Astair" group.

The shoe company had offices in Florence (a palazzo on the Arno) and Alicante, Spain, so it was a constant diet of pasta, paella and shoes. Tough choices.


I'm still keeping my eyes open for new shoe trends and details. I spotted this sign in a Marais shoe shop last trip for "BRONX" shoes.

 Paris feet, at the 2006 art show in the Jardins du Luxembourg.

Six months later I met someone at the tennis club who asked me if I'd like to design shoes in Europe. Soon I was attending shoe shows in London, Paris, Bologna, always keeping my eyes open for new trends and details. I found a vintage man's oxford in London I used as inspiration. Part of the job description was keeping your eyes open at all times for new trends and details. A friend heard of a design job on the Bowery, so I ran to Pratt, to took a one-week pattern making course. This shoe put me on the front of Footwear News. I found an Indian embroidered pillowcase with mirrors 

And I'm not just talking chocolate shoes by Jean-Paul Hevin either.

22 comments:

  1. Wow Carol! You've posted some amazing things that you have done, shoes too? Your dream-like resume goes on and on... I love the Fred Astaire inspired shoes! Cheers! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:24 AM

    Carol...Is there anything you haven't done? :) You have been mighty busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your life is so fascinating! I love these stories.

    But I know you have MORE TO TELL, so quit being cagey!! Maybe we should all start clamoring for the Full Story about a Certain Event. ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. that Gypsy shoe is beautiful. You're very talented

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Gypsy shoes.too. What a great idea!
    You are so versatile! In the midst of my art education I decided that I wanted to design fashion so I applied to FIT in NY and got in- three weeks there and I dropped out! I was too much of a fine. artist ;)
    Love your life's stories and the fact you have been involved in so many things- makes for a fascinating person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:47 AM

    All great, but Being a Princess is So today is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:09 AM

    You are a "step ahead!" Always marching in a good direction. Full of imagination and creativity.
    Shoe design, how clever you are! WHat a wonderful life, rich texture, color, taste and adventure! Do tell more!
    (ps....you know how to knock are socks off with such stories!)

    I want your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:41 AM

    CHocolate, CHampagne, CHefs, now SHoes...
    I love your chatchkas.
    What else in your chapeau, magician?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a lot more stories to pull out of my chapeau and up my sleeve.
    Soon...soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Shoes are for me like Barbara Stanwick in Double Indemnity ;D
    An addiction!
    And I´m sure that the one who´s wearing the "Spanish writing" shoes is the same person who walked dressed in white sous le ciel de Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:57 AM

    Loving the feet in the Luxembourg gardens. Great shot. I enjoyed seeing the drawings of the shoes, and I do remember you saying you'd done shoe design in the past. Who doesn't love shoes, I say!? I also saw that tiny little photo of Mama Leone in one of those shots--I remember eating at Mama Leone's--is that still there in NY? Too funny...brought back memories. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you use to
    DESIGN SHOES?


    get out!

    did you make them out of chocolate?
    out of broken china cups?
    while seated at a small cafe?

    get out!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:37 AM

    AMAZING!! What ever will take your Fancy next !?..One can only wonder. You do keep amazing us.
    Cris in OR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:49 PM

    I agree with Blame It On Paris--spill it, Carol! I love reading these little snapshots of what is clearly a charmed life! La vie en rose, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A shoe in for putting your best foot forward as always.
    Love Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:57 PM

    I always enjoy your posts because it brings me to Paris, but you also have a knack for the artful excursion that just seems to link into the french thing too...
    so enjoyable to be a part of.
    I agree with all the other comments... you designed SHOES TOO!! Keep sharing, because those of us 9 to 5'ers love to live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A shoe designer too??!! I love the Gypsy shoes! What next? Butcher, baker, candlestick maker? ; ) You are quite the Renaissance Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did you manage to land all these sweet gigs?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so love shoes so this post suits me just fine! hugs NG

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that Fred Astaire group. I love a fashionable brogue. Very English.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Shoes...incredible. We've got to get together...I've photos from shoe museums here and there...and a few that I've made myself...I had no idea...

    Coming west anytime soon??

    Meilleurs voeux!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Full Story About A Certain Event???

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you