Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sadaharu Aoki

I hid the tea pot with opera cake sketchesSado Tea Cup, Watercolor, 5" x 7"
Recently I leaned down to pick up a piece of paper off the floor. My floor is a lot like my closet , full of unexpected oddments.
I found a crumpled receipt from Sadaharu Aoki on 35, rue Vaugirard, dated 05/16/2006. The day before my birthday, so I stopped in to celebrate early.

Oh why didn't I take a picture of all those pastries?Choosing what to eat in any Parisian pâtisserie is never easy. I regret I didn't pig out. It's much easier when your taking things away, pretending you're buying for others even when you mange sur place.more goodies in every corner of this tiny shop

You tell yourself, "How many times am I in Paris"? 
And "I would never do this at home" blablabla. No one is fooled.

Certainly not the vendeuse, who is only too happy to let you pig out all you want.

So many beautiful tea pots in this window near Odeon

You see Japanese tetsubin tea pots all over Paris, but no where more appropriately than at Sadaharu Aoki.waiting...When you sit down in a place like Sadaharu you want to be reserved and bien-élevé. I wish I’d tasted all the lovely things La Tartine Gourmande tasted.Not enough.. At last my thé verte and chocolate Opera cake arrived! This teapot is not so easy to paint BTW... that's why I covered up the unhappy results with more Opera cake above. I'll be off to Paris in about 19 days, 7 minutes, 16 seconds and I promise to bring back more dessert pictures and less decor. 

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:29 AM

    I want an opera cake, I want and opera cake, I want an opera cake......happy Paris travelling dear you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I was fascinated tolearn that they drink so much tea. I love tea but I also love a good cup of coffee. What color
    combination did you use for the shadow under the cup, its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea is the preferred drink in these places -- a more delicate accompaniment I suppose. You want my secret shadow recipe? Hmmm...Bt. Sienna + Cobalt Blue. Now please keep it under your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god.

    So can we like..share 10 cakes when you're here? Yeah? Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:42 AM

    magnifique. I'd like to eat something like that now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This time eat to your heart's content! And sing with your mouth full! Enjoy every bite, dip your paint brush in chocolate, and paint us the sweetness so that our eyes might continue to lick your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man oh man!! You've sparked my sweet teeth this morning!!! FANTABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A like mind. I lovethose teapots. Paris is full of them you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:38 AM

    Your watercolors are so dreamy :) It's been a while since I've been in Paris...I imagine I will have a tremendous appetite when I do get there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:32 PM

    Must return to Sada...I miss his opera cake! Yes, I want to see your watercolors of his pastries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That chocolate opera cake looks... divine. I want to be off to Paris in 19 days too! Jealous!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you