Monday, September 28, 2026

Cezanne and Us 🍎 Grand Palais

 

EIFFEL TOWER APPLE ON ETSY

Cezanne (1839 -1906)said,” With an apple 🍎 I will astonish Paris”

Last week was tomatoes 🍅 

This week: Cezanne’s apples 🍎 

A big new Cezanne retrospective 

Though it was more crowded than it looks
Grand Palais & nearby museums closed over the weekend for the Pope’s
 Champs-Elysées visit.
Plus it was the first day opening.

What some were wearing…I was toute en noir comme d’habitude.

ANDY WARHOL
Plus 

PICASSO
Picasso said, ”Cezanne is father of us all”

WESSELMAN
The artists he influenced is endless. 
An artist’s artist.

GIACOMETTI 
Giacometti’s pencil drawing

CEZANNE
One of 20 Cezanne self-portraits. He never painted from models. Only people he knew or himself.

180 paintings 🖼️ on view

Paul Cezanne came to Paris

 In 1862 from Aix-en-Provence.

He liked to maintain his ‘country bumpkin’ appearance.
 A rebel among more refined Post-Impressionists like Monet, Manet. 

Rejected by École de Beaux Arts, he spent his time copying masterpieces at the Louvre.

Both in appearance and painting style, his paintings were rough, dark,

Consistently rejected by official salons, ridiculed by the critics, he kept returning to Provence where he felt more comfortable.

 
While developing innovative painting techniques that defied the realistic, story-telling style of the day and the past.

He abandoned traditional 1-point perspective, tilting his table tops up like Japanese woodblock prints.

Building up his compositions through simplified geometric shapes.
 

«If you can draw a cube, a sphere, a pyramid, you can draw anything» Cezanne wrote to painter Émile Bernard, in 1904.

 

A still life  by Émile Bernard in the exhibit. 
    This looks a lot like a Cezanne.

APPLES ON ETSY
Still hanging in there? 

I thought it would be a snap to paint Cezanne’s apples 🍎  


It was not. Cezanne leaves air/empty space around his objects. They may look unfinished. They are not.

Cezanne was up at the crack of dawn, going out to paint Mount Sainte-Victoire in Provence. 

Père Tanguy BY VAN GOGH
Young painters in Paris discovered his work hanging at art supply merchant, ‘Père Tanguy’ Julien François Tanguy. He traded paintings 🖼️ for paint 🎨 So did Van Gogh. 
They came down to Aix to learn directly from the master.

I visited Cezanne’s 


No original art works onsite. But the pots and sculptures he painted over and over.

And plenty of apples 🍎 
Cezanne is not an easy artist to like or understand, but so important to art history and artists. He broke the rules of realism and from that abstraction evolved.

 Thanks to Hans Hofmann, who saw a retrospective in Paris in 1909, one year after Cezanne died. He opened a painting school in New York and taught many great abstract expressionists, Cezanne’s lessons.
*footnote - Grand Palais decided to drop the accent over the e in Cezanne. It was Cezanne’s choice. 
The exhibit is on till 17, January 2027.

🍎

IN CEZANNE’S ATELIER DES LAUVES, AIX

Cezanne’s Apples 🍎 are on Etsy.

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Would you ever consider giving an online water color class? I’m trying to do illustrations for my new cookbook and could really use some help . I love your style . Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:04 PM

      Wow. Okay . You put me in my place .

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:25 PM

      Not at all my intention. It’s not easy to learn watercolor as I’m sure learning your ecial skills would be difficultfor me.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:37 PM

      So true - you DO what YOU do best! I've had artist friends who tried to sell their own work (to avoid commissions). I worked at and was good/great at gallery sales. My suggestion to friends - "you paint, gallery/I sell". Win-win.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous3:25 AM

      In general, book publishers will want to choose the illustrator or photographer. It’s hard to learn a new medium from scratch, although these days, with URBAN SKETCHERS, everyone is out there drawing ✍️

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:01 AM

    People looking at their cell phones instead of the art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:13 AM

      They be checking their photos to see if I jumped 🤸‍♂️ in front of them! 😂

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:16 AM

      Likely an online tour of the exhibition.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:35 AM

      Indeed, yes. All main-line museums have on-line tours of their most heavily-visited exhibitions. This is soooo much better than having large groups banded together trying to hear a lecturer. Just go online and read the text and listen to a narrator and wander at will. Makes for a bit of crowd control at these very crowded exhibitions.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous12:35 PM

      Actually the Pope was coming to Champs-Elysées over the weekend and Grand Palais and nearby museums would be closed.
      Also it was the First day of the exhibit, so some Parisians like to get in fast and first.

      Delete
    5. Anonymous1:39 PM

      The problem with audio tours, is people stand directly in front of the painting, dreamily or while trying to read the descriptions. Frustrating. There should be someone with a stick guiding them along.
      I could do it very well, like wih elephants 🐘

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:48 AM

    I love your apples!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:33 PM

      ❤️ 🍎 ❤️ 🍎 🙏 Thank you

      Delete
  4. Always,so informative. Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie L11:11 AM

    Wow! Have you been busy, so many exhibitions! Must be autumn in Paris…lucky ducky! Loving your apples. 🍎 ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:36 PM

      La Rentrée keeps you Very busy! 🤪

      Delete
  6. Dorrance2:15 PM

    I saw a film long ago, Cézanne et Moi, about the lifelong friendship between Cezanne and Émile Zola. It was beautifully filmed. It may be of interest to you, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:32 PM

      Ah ha! I was trying to find it and only found the trailer. Zola and Cezanne were childhood school buddies and shared many interests and influenced each other. Later Zola wrote a novel about an artist that affected their friendship.
      https://youtu.be/HNYVwvUvAj0?si=4awGKHS17nC0f4Hx

      Delete
  7. Anonymous4:34 PM

    Thanks for the wonderful email letters. Unfortunately we left Paris prior to this Cezanne show but were at the Grand Palais in 1995 for a previous show. Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:38 PM

      Living now in Paris, I try to see everything. In 1995 I might have hesitated.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5:29 PM

    Another great post! Now I want to get to the Grand Palais, and also back to Aix! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:09 AM

      I want to go back to Aix too! And I will def return to Cezanne exhibit 🖼️

      Delete
  9. Sukicart6:08 PM

    Thanks for all the information - the exhibit looks very interesting. Cezanne isn't a favorite of mine but I do understand his importance in the history of art. I do like many of his still lifes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:31 AM

      His still lives are like landscapes in a way.
      Some of his tree paintings look like moosh to me.
      And the bathers 🫣 I don’t get at all, but Matisse loved them, copied them and owned them.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous7:40 PM

    So interesting, I love your watercolor of Cezanne and your apples 🍎🍏🍎…and that last photo….the light !! Thanks for the lesson and tour. Happy day, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:32 AM

      Thank you Virginia 🍎 ❤️

      Delete

Love hearing from you