Monday, September 21, 2026

Le Petit Prince 🫅 letter 💌

 

It’s not every week you meet up with 2 princes 👑 

Le Petit Prince Paris letter was sent out 📮 last weekend.

I drew a ‘Thank you’ drawing for attending le Festival de la Tomate 🍅 

Delving deeper into the Petit Prince’s author,  

Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s back story (1900-1944). Did you know he was a pilot. He flew planes ✈️ for Aéropostale starting in 1926 between Toulouse and Dakar 🐪 
He began writing ✍️ and publishing books about his experiences.

And he was a postman 📪 in fact.

La Musée Postal is having an exhibition 

On workman’s clothing 

With an emphasis 

On French 🇫🇷 Postal workers.

I went yesterday.

The museum gift shop on the 1st floor, sells classic blue workman’s jackets (45€).

And very nice Postman’s bags in 3 sizes. Pas cher👍 

This portrait

Reminded me of Van Gogh’s portrait 🖼️ of the Arles’ postal worker painting (1 of 6) 

Of Joseph Roulin, who befriended him.

Back to St.Ex (Antoine’s nickname).
When visiting his publishers in New York 

At lunch, St.Ex doodled stick figures on his napkin.

His editors were delighted! 
“Why don’t you write a children’s 📕 “

The boa from le Petit Prince in
the above sketch, 

The boa that swallowed an elephant 🐘 is in the forest at Chateau de la Bourdaisière
Everything is connected.

Interestingly, St.Ex wrote Le Petit Prince while in the US in 1942.

He sought exile after the 1940 Armistice and because he could was too ill, too old to fly with the Free French. 

We are celebrating the 80th anniversary of his death on July 31, 1944, at age 44, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry disappeared mid-flight.

I discovered the post office has put out a limited edition Petit Prince stamp (700,000) so if you love ❤️ Le Petit Prince and Dolly…don’t wait too long to visit Etsy.

Meanwhile, Last week Solli 

Let me sit on her balcony 

And paint the Eiffel Tower directly. 

Daunting!

Today I ran to le Petit Prince shop on 8, rue Grégoire de Tours,75006, 

Hoping they would have stamps. 
They did not.

And a tiny pin.
I left them at the rubber stamp station 🤷‍♀️ 
Have you listened to Le Petit Prince?
in case you were wondering 😊



12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 AM

    Wonderful, as always. Don’t forget famous French postman, Ferdinand Cheval of Hauterives. He built the fantastical Palais Idéal du Facteur Cheval. He walked his 20 mile mail route for 33 years collecting interesting looking stones as he went. When he got home he built a castle! It is a magnificent testimony to French resilience and creativity. A must see when visiting the Drôme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:33 AM

      WOW! Like an Indian Temple!! Amazing..in the Dromes.
      https://lecaillouauxhiboux.fr/article/drome-week-end-en-famille-autour-du-palais-ideal-du-facteur-cheval

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Thanks to you're went to the postal museum for the clothing exhibit. the whole museum was (surprisingly) fascinating. And the gift shop was great! The smallest postal bag is perfect for a small purse, and I couldn't resist the stuffed pigeon. And you can mail postcard stateside directly from the museum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:37 AM

      I am so happy 😃 you went! Musee Postal is a too well-kept secret.
      Great stuff on every floor - very witty too.
      https://www.museepostal.fr/fr

      Delete
  3. Bonnie L9:42 AM

    St Ex was flying a reconnaissance mission near Corsica for the Free French Air Force in 1944. He never returned from his mission. The speculation is that the Germans shot down his P-38 Lightning. He was an impressive character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:38 AM

      I just read his plane remains was found off Marseilles.
      A fascinating, talented man.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:08 PM

    Magnificent drawings, looking forward to more!
    Love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:16 PM

    I loved the ladies uniform with waistline red BOW and red gloves!!!!! Wanted to add here an image - - my quick sketch of Eiffel Tower when there. Can't do apparently. It is a bit unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:02 PM

      I loved the Ladies Navy blue smock with the red buttons. I could def use that one.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Really enjoyed this post Carol and have always loved The Little Prince. Happy you put the Dolly Paris Letter on Etsy. Just ordered. Miss Dolly. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:00 PM

      THANK YOU SO MUCH Suzanne P. ❤️⭐️

      Delete
  7. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Excellent work I just love the watercolor !! L

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you