Monday, June 17, 2024

Salon International de la Maison de Poupée /SIMP-Expo

 

Tiny table with flowers
Yesterday, on Sunday, I went to the 1-day Summer doll house fair, Salon International de la Maison de Poupée /SIMP-EXPO.

Artist studio with pink rose still lifes
I was looking for tiny roses 🌹 my current obsession 

Tiny toy bears in a pink bed
I found bears frolicking in bed
Tiny bear in doll house kitchen
And bears in the pantry.
Tiny Toy yellow bee bear
I almost came home with a bee 🐝 striped bear 🐻 Just a few alterations (remove antenna) add stripes I was thinking 🤔 Bear could have a baby bro. But I still have a tiny radish from a previous SIMP visit.
1920s ladies hat display
Wonderful 20’s style hats/chapeau on offer
Lady’s hats closeup
A closer view with tiny price tags.
Engraving of children around a dollhouse
Are you into tiny things?
Dollhouse yellow sewing machine
A throwback memory to our childhood. I held on to this plastic sewing machine (the hand wheel moved the needle up & down) for the longest time…lost on the trip to Paris.
Netherlands painting of a dollhouse
Dollhouses started in Germany in the 16th century and were especially popular in The Netherlands. They were called ‘Baby houses’ and specifically for wealthy adults, often replicating their homes in perfect miniature.
Video outake from Tasmin Bassett on dollhouses
I found out all this fascinating info watching Tasmin Bassett’s video on the 10 most expensive dollhouses in history.
British vintage dollhouse furniture
I found out more at the show chatting with Charlotte & Lola of Kensington Dollhouse Festival. Their
charming items are authentic vintage pieces made in the 1970’s-80’s. It appears we Americans 🇺🇸 are the biggest fanatics of all collectors. And the US has the biggest Dollhouse show in Chicago! Quelle surprise 😮 
Ad for future London dollhouse show in November
Kensington Dollhouse Festival at Christmas
🎄 in London will be terrific fun. I want to go.
Dollhouse size plates of cheese
I arrived very late, but there were still plenty of snacks available.
Dollhouse size French pastry
And so many tartes!
Dollhouse jams
There is always jam of course - an absolute essential 👍
Dollhouse china dishes in an armoir
And of course exquisite china dishes for your jam & fromage 🧀 hand-made from renown Marie-France Beglan. Don’t miss her adorable website. 
Vintage doll and toy theatres
loved ❤️ this insouciant doll presiding over the French miniature theaters.
Alice in wonderland illustration
Of course dear Alice always holds reign 👑 at these events. 
Alice theater box
Figurart
made these clever Alice theater boxes with moving elements.
Christmas show announcement
Don’t be sad you missed this show. Come back to Paris for the December Christmas show. And to London. Why not?
Self portrait at tea time
I’m Carol Gillott, an artist living in Paris. Every month I send out beautifully illustrated letters that capture the true Parisian experience. 
Sign up to receive these whimsical treasures in your mail.📮
Thanks for reading PB ❤️
☕️ If you’d like to support my work, you can buy me a KO-FI here  ☕️  ❤️ Thank you so much!
Oh why didn’t I buy this absolutement essential sheep 🐑 rocking ‘horse’??


26 comments:

  1. Jamie Cat Callan7:18 AM

    Love this post, dear Carol! xo Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:52 AM

      Jamie, you collect little things? CAROLG

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Oh my goodness, definitely the best thing to do on a Sunday! What a delightful miniature theater. Beautiful. We never outgrow that stuff, do we? Dorrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:53 AM

      If se outgrew it Dorrance..what would dollhouse events do? 😉 CAROLG

      Delete
  3. laura cruz8:16 AM

    Hello Carol💖Oh my goodness, how sweet and wonderful this post is! Thank you for such a beautiful share🪻🌞I may not comment very often, but I love each email from you. Getting ready for my cousin's to come to U.S. from France🇫🇷to Colorado. I have your mail painting scattered throughout my house on the walls. I love them all! I must sign up again. Beautiful day wishes🌻🐦💖Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:34 AM

      Thank you Laura ! ❤️
      Take pictures 📷 Please 🙏
      I would lve to see them CAROLG

      Delete
    2. laura cruz9:10 AM

      I certainly will❤️

      Delete
  4. First of all you look fantabulous.
    I do have small things..because my girls had dollhouses..and they never had girls..so they are here in the attic with their wedding dresses etc..I do have a tiny tea set..But I never kept collecting.. Have a look here. https://oliveandpru.blogspot.com/search/label/miniatures
    She makes dollhouses..refurbishes them..makes so many beautiful things for them..A little rabbit hole for you..she is wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie L8:43 AM

    What a lovely way to pass your Sunday. I do not collect miniatures but can appreciate the beauty and cleverness of them. And the time it must take to produce such tiny works of art. That sheep rocking horse is a marvel! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:36 AM

      I think you have to assemble the sheep 🐑 🐑
      Always tricky for me…if only you and Bob lived closeby…
      ❤️CAROLG

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:46 AM

    Hi Carol! The miniatures are so adorable and I love, love them ❤️. But….. the color samples on your sketch pad in the 2nd photo just make me swoon! I will be looking for more paintings using those colors because they are such happy colors 👍👍💕. Much love from Suzy in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:09 PM

      Thank you Suzy ❤️ I’m working ✍️ on roses 🌹 at the moment
      Soon…CAROLG

      Delete
  7. Sukicart1:13 PM

    I love miniatures and always have been entranced by them. I recently started building Book Nooks which are a great fix for a miniature enthusiast,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:27 PM

      Ohhhh…Wonderful Suki 👏👏👏CAROLG

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2:00 PM

    Love, love, love --this post!! Patty, Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:28 PM

      Thank you Patty ❤️it was fun to do too ☕️CAROLG

      Delete
  9. Anonymous3:06 PM

    Love this piece about dollhouses.
    I heard about of Thorne Miniature Rooms | The Art Institute of Chicago rooms as a child. When I visited as an adult I spent hours looking at them. My favorite is the Art deco room from the 1930s.
    https://www.artic.edu/highlights/12/thorne-miniature-rooms
    Susan B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:10 PM

    A wonderful link Susan plus audio descriptions CAROLG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:14 PM

    I love that I get to live vicariously through your adventures! Ms T.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing your work area & your latest passions. Outside my door there is a small shelf which I decorate according to the season or whim. I use a lot of doll house objects. It's fun❤️🗼

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:01 PM

    Always loved dollhouses and miniatures

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a lot of fun to read, so many cute tiny things for doll houses! Merci Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:39 PM

    I have been following you since may be 2018 or even longer, I adore your post, you are so gifted and I wish that I was still living in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish that I still was living in Paris, I would follow your footstep where ever you discovered something interesting and worth to explore. I love your art, you are so talented. Thank you Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:57 AM

    I made a dollhouse from scratch for my daughter when she was 9 weeks old. It even has a tiny little mouse and a mousetrap in the cupboard! Can’t wait to dig it out of storage if I ever have grandchildren! Hugs and kisses,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you