Sunday, July 02, 2023

rue Montorgueil

 

Yesterday I went out to buy stamps & got on the wrong bus just for fun (bus 29 if you want to follow in my footsteps).

I ended up near rue Montorgueil 75001 (the main post office is close but closed by 12:30 Saturdays 🙁)

Do you know rue Montorgueil? A lovely, long pedestrian street full of excellent foodie shops perfect for a gourmand

*A ‘gourmand’ is a is a person who takes great pleasure and interest in consuming good food and drink. Probably you, if you’re reading Parisbreakfasts 🍴 🏆 

There are a number of new places near rue Montorgueil. One is boulangerie Copains - a sans-gluten boulangerie. 

I only browsed, did not buy. I’ve bought their excellent bread in the past. I would love to buy the ‘Dream Team’ T-shirt 👕 off her back but they never sell these things 🙁

Just next door, G.Detou has a nice signature shopping bag in the window (only 3€) I was feeling deep lust for…but since I just bought a new bag…it is off limits.

I peeked inside Fou de Patisserie. They are featuring Boneshaker donuts  this weekend. Moving to Paris changes you irrevocable. I cannot bring eat a donut 🍩 or a hamburger 🍔 anymore. C’est comme ça 🤷‍♀️

Moving down rue Montorgueil is Paris’ oldest most classical patisserie, Stohrer established 1730. They have a French blue ice cream 🍦 chariot outside🤸‍♂️

Inside things have changed. Strictly sweets. No more savory.

And been rearranged. More candy boxes & fancy jared babas (their specialty and creation).

Their pastries are as exquisite as ever, 

Even though their former brill pastry chef, Jeffrey Cagnes has left

And opened his own shop further down the street at #73. 
*Note the Paris flower 🌸 decor trend is not going away anytime soon. 

Quite a hip, cool, au currant/up to date place it is. They have sweet & savory ‘pizettas’ !

Instead of the classic, oldie worldie, Marie-Antoinette style savories Stohrer always had (but now no longer since they must keep up with ze competition down the street).

Jeffrey’s shop has a different feel - airy and sunny 🌞 

The most lavish of Saint Honorés

Les eclairs look très moderne…

Jeffrey’s version of the baba swimming 🏊‍♂️ in rhum

I fell hard for Jeffrey’s Flan (I’d almost bought a flan at Stohrer). I loved ❤️ the brown sugary, crunchy crust it was sitting in. The perfect pre-lunch snack 👍

For the sugar-free, across the street is Le Paradise du Fruit with lush offerings.

After so much flaneuring around I ran 🏃‍♂️ to Carré d’Encre for stamps/timbres. Believe it or not they finally have self-stick stamps in another design beside dear old Marianne 🤸‍♂️ I was assured 👍 le Poste would notice they are INTERNATIONAL stamps and not return any of your Paris letters 💌 to me🙏

I needed some lunch at this point and went to my fav Japanese noodle shop, Sapporo

Even after dumping the salad into the soup, it was still too hot, so I’m having it for breakfast 🍳 today

✏️  Back to finishing ✏️ June PARIS letter TODAY! 
After maybe a teensy run to ze flea up the road to look at cups briefly.
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Thanks for stopping by dear PBers 💋💋💋
👍 Do stop in my ETSY SHOP for a look see please 🙏 
                                  Bon Dimanche



31 comments:

  1. The first photo is quintessential Paris. I had to keep looking at the people to remind myself that it is not a daguerreotype or painting but actual Paris 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:32 AM

      Thank you Lynne
      Caught on the fly as most of my best shots are. You get a feeling this could be a good one & start shooting & pray 🙏 later.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:33 AM

    When my sister and brother-in-law spent their first summer in Barcelona, they took each bus to its end point and back - a different one each day - just to learn the city and where things were. I thought it was a very clever idea, so enjoy your purposeful mistakes. :) GwenEllyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:33 AM

      Brill idea GwenEllyn
      I’m going to do this more often 👏

      Delete
  3. Lots of yummy food in your post today. You have a strong will to resist some of my favorite temptations,,,donuts & hamburgers! I loved coming out of a new metro stop and what awaited me there was always a surprise! Keep on taking the wrong bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:48 AM

      Who needs donuts & hamburgers when you live in Paris?
      It’s only for Parisians who dream 💭 of New York
      Thanks! Yes I shall keep on taking the wrong bus 👍

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:49 AM

    You are so creative…you coulda been a chef! 👩🏼‍🍳/🧑🏼‍🎨 😋 Chef BoyYard D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:54 AM

    I’m looking forward to the June letter. I know it will be wonderfully creative as usual and don’t worry -a little wait only makes it’s arrival more exciting. SP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:58 AM

    FYI - July 9th our postage increases both international and statewide. Forever stamps will be 66 cents. ☹️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:56 AM

      Stamp prices go up every January here.
      Marianne is the French forever stamp.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Does Stroher still make their puits d’amour? Always a favorite and no one else makes them. Sad to see that they no longer make their savory items. They were the best in the city along with Gerard Mulot which is also, sadly, no more. New owner has nowhere near the skill and talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:52 AM

      Stohrer still has savory things back by the till, but less elaborate.
      Maybe for the holidays they will bring them back. They always a beautiful jambon sitting there. The puits d’amour are still there of course 👍

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:49 AM

    This post is so timely. I’ll be there from the 11th - 15th. I’ve never visited Paris, before. The Rue of cafés and treats in your post seems perfect for a stroll.
    The painting I purchased is not due to arrive until I get back, a perfect welcome, home gift for myself. Thank you so much for sharing Paris with all of us! L

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh those mugs w/ spoon:) That's a cute presentation.Love les chefs outside and soups like those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:09 PM

      Ah the chefs taking a break…an attempt at the ‘decisive moment’

      Delete
  10. Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:46 AM

    The pastries from the new shop look so exquisite. I am sending It to my nieces Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Love the new stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Thank you Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sukicart2:34 PM

    I'm with you, Carol, I don't go to Paris to eat hamburgers and donuts. I do love rue Montorgueil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:12 AM

      I suppose hamburgers are another way to eat traditional steak tatar (which I won’t eat either). Some local specialties are not for everyone 😳

      Delete
  15. Anonymous4:57 PM

    ‘Carol’s Yummy Adventures in Paris”! Your everyday experiences are the stuff dreams are made of. We are so lucky to live vicariously through you…without consuming a gazillion patisserie calories! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:33 PM

    G. Detou - a clever play on words. :) ( L. from Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:46 AM

      Pls remind me…Je de ————-? ?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:52 AM

      J'ai de tout.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous8:24 AM

      Ahh…OK merci ☺️

      Delete
  17. I'll definitely need to find this road when I next return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:53 PM

      You definitely do Jeanie 75001 right in the middle of Paris.
      You can walk from the Louvre

      Delete
  18. Anonymous1:19 PM

    THANKS, CAROL! PURE DELIGHT AND YOUR WONDERFUL PARIS HISTORY THROWN IN TOO. SO UNIQUE!! ❤💟💙 CARLA

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:11 AM

    💕 Rue Montorgueil! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vicki Hofstetter5:26 PM

    The Bus 29 is one of my all time favorites. It is great for sightseeing. The route is fantastic. It was the last line to have the open rear ends where you could stand outside and watch Paris pass by. I miss the old open ended buses. Also at the top of rue Montorgueil is Bistro Les Petits Carreaux that has the best cottage fries in the world. It is a "working class" bistro with great traditional French favorites. Salads are really good and filling.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you