Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Breakfast in America 20th Anniversary July 4th Soirée

 

Last night Breakfast in America celebrated the 4th of July with a 20th anniversary soirée in the Marais on 4, rue Malher

Have you been for breakfast when in Paris?


Craig Carlson is the genius behind all these pancakes 🥞 here singing a country music song 🎵 

Craig’s 2 fabulous books, Let Them Eat Pancakes and Pancakes in Paris, on how he conquered French bureaucracy and pursued his dream 

Creating and sharing with the French a vision of the American archetypal diner 

A peek at the Breakfast in Paris menu for your erudition. 
From the griddle’! I haven’t heard those words in years. 

Down to the last fried onion ring

Yes, I finally ate a hamburger 🍔 in Paris last night

And it was excellent p with a good slather of ketchup. In fact très delish 👍 

Plus there were corn 🌽 dogs, guacamole, 

Mini cheese cakes, white peach blossoms with Prosecco.

Nothing like a good ole American 🇺🇸 street party to celebrate the Fourth in Paris 🇫🇷 Lisa Anselmo was there.

Adrian Leeds
was there among other ex-pat luminaries. I coveted her Camper red shoes.

What did I wear? Desperately seeking anything appropriately 4thish...I found a vintage New York Subway T-shirt lurking in the placard/bottom of my closet.

I wanted to take a petit cadeaux 🎁 to Craig (we first met over turkey at Thanksgiving appropriately). 

Immediately came to mind superb breakfast painter, Wayne Thiebaud, my hero.

I made 2 attempts & decided to give Craig both..what the heck 😂 Now I see I should have left out the blue sky. Craig, can I do it over one more time🙏 
Copying your artist heroes is always a good way to learn.

I had to leave the grand soirée early to come home and work on your Paris letter. There will be cats 🐈‍⬛ 

Do look in my Etsy shop for Paris gifts 🎁 to give
❤️

By the time I left it was raining out…Paris drizzle. 

Nothing deters Parisians from sitting by the Seine.

Nothing deters tourists riding les bateaux mouches whatever the weather ☔️ 
                       🇫🇷 🚤  Bonne Mercredi PBers 🚤 🇺🇸



37 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:44 AM

    Great post and loved being there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:52 AM

    FUN! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:24 AM

    Carol -- great post!
    Nice to see you, too.
    Adrian Leeds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:39 AM

    Beautiful photos and I just adore the watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:56 AM

      Thank you!
      Shall I do more W.Thiebaud knock-offs?

      Delete
  5. Mathieu Dacheville4:46 AM

    Thank you Carol for coming and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:56 AM

      So kind of you to let me come 🍔☺️

      Delete
  6. what a fun post! Never heard of this diner in Paris. We'll have to check it out on our next visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:28 AM

      You won’t be disappointed 🎉

      Delete
  7. Looks like it was so much fun!! And you finally had a hamburger! Your vintage T-shirt is awesome & perfect thing to wear to this party. Now on to Bastille Day🗼🇫🇷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:27 AM

      Oh Bastille day 💥
      No plans yet..

      Delete
  8. Anonymous7:25 AM

    What a lovely gift. Hope you had fun.
    Meredith Mullins

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:36 AM

    Thank YOU, Carol! Wonderful blog posting, and I just adore the watercolors you gave me. I can't wait to frame and hang them in my bungalow in LA. I think they'll fit in perfectly. No need to redo the one with the blue sky like you mentioned, but if you do, I'll happily frame and hang that one, too! Craig C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie L7:58 AM

    Looks like a fabulous party! SO glad you got to celebrate the 4th in Paris…without having to suffer through the neighbors setting off firecrackers day and night like we do in VT! 🙄

    Your burger looked delish…and those blueberry pancakes! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:18 AM

      No fireworks 💥
      None of that…plus the drizzle didnt help

      Delete
  11. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Love the lone person with the colorful umbrella photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:17 AM

      THANKS for noticing ☺️
      I was surprised too & took a different route to get a closer look 👍

      Delete
  12. Dorrance8:02 AM

    Love your vintage t-shirt, très chic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:07 AM

    We know that Parisian women are very chic. What are the men wearing? Can you share photos of men? I imagine they are more fashionable than the American men I see on the streets in the US!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:16 AM

      Hmmm…I rarely photograph 📷 French men

      Delete
  14. Great fun and what illos. You are forever talented with new ideas and execution. Hope to catch up in living color in October. Coffee tea or other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:15 AM

      That would be very fun Jill

      Delete
  15. He must have loved his gifts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:15 AM

      He was Very surprised I think ☺️

      Delete
  16. I recognized Adrian Leeds from "House Hunters International." Always enjoy her humor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:14 AM

      Adrian is very nice in person as well ❤️

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:25 PM

      Love her Paris shows!!

      Delete
  17. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Oh how fun! Looks like a wonderful time. I will read his books. I lived in Paris 20 years ago and would have loved an American breakfast from time to time. Well done Craig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:29 PM

      One thing I don’t miss but you can get something similar in London

      Delete
  18. Anonymous2:20 PM

    We ate at his restaurant and it is legit! Wish I had gone back for the brioche French toast. Met Craig at Thanksgiving too. Great guy!! Loved your old post of matcha gelato! Must read his book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:24 PM

      Hi Cindy !
      Craig is a really nice guy. Genuine 👍

      Delete
  19. sukicart3:31 PM

    Looks like a grand 4th celebration. Glad you finally ate a hamburger. Loved your gift for Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous11:37 PM

    What a wonderful post! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for such a fun post! I'm going to try Breakfast in America soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Wonderful post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous6:52 AM

    Sitting in the rain, watching the flow of the Seine, under a perky ,large umbrella, is just perfect ! I loved your ending !!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you