Thursday, October 20, 2022

Last Night in Paris, Art Basel, Chocolate Box Tour

 


This is the week of the brand new big art show, Paris + Art Basel 

Paris is flooded with artists, buyers, gallerists just like a few weeks ago the town was flooded with buyers, designers, models and gawpers for PFW, Paris Fashion Week

Art Basel has replaced the famous big Fall art show, FIAC usually held at Grand Palais
I went a few years back to FIAC, always a fashion show.
Last night we went uptown near Élysées Palais on rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré to a book signing by top chocolatier-sculptor, Patrick Roger. His newest sculpture book was just published. 
I was expecting lots of beautiful blue-green boxes of chocolate, works of art in themselves. Alas not to be 😳 
We found was plenty of Paris fashionistas thronging to get into Sotheby’s opening nearby. 
We waltzed in, 
grabbed a Champagne glass🥂 ate some unrecognizable tidbits and took a look. Openings in Paris are like that. Just pretend you’re invited. No one asks. They’re too busy checking everyone else out. 
Are stiletto heels really making a comeback? 
Celine thinks so. 
So many over-the-knee high-heeled boots were seen
But except for this window, malheuresement, I couldn’t capture a decent shot - too much milling around.
 Le trench is definitely back, as always, for Fall
Including my partner in crime, visiting Californian Chiyo, who just bought her trench at Cos Paris after comparative shopping(lower-left). I was dressed wrongly😬 in a navy quilted jacket, so last year. What will I wear to ART BASEL tomorrow?
Finally we wandered back to art bookstore, Librairie Lardanchet, where le maitre Roger was signing books in a non-descript T-shirt. And viewed his bronze sculptures which look a lot like stacked chocolate boxes. 
The day before I took Sandy and Terry on a ‘Small Chocolate Box Tour’, my first but definitely not my last. Please contact me if you’re interested🍫❤️
We visited 8 top chocolate🍫 shops looking for small gifts they could take home in their already full suitcases. 
We finished with afternoon tea ☕️ and dessert after 3 hours research. Now I have a nice stack of chocolate 🍫 boxes waiting to be painted 🎨 Do not ask me what happened to the chocolates🍫 inside. Don’t forget next week is Salon du Chocolat.Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast. Please share with friends.
 Consider visiting my Etsy shop to help keep me in Paris, eating chocolates 🍫for you ❤️🇫🇷💋 

19 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post..little bit of this a little bit of that. I still have two trench coats. One black & one traditional color. They may be considered "vintage" by now. I really don't now how women hobble around in this stiletto heels but the certainly look nice. Finally, I am crazy about your haul of small chocolate boxes. Anxious to see what interesting water color awaits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:28 PM

      Nothing wrong with a vintage trench Ga. probably preferred in fact. I am not going to think about those heels or any heels. At all.

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L8:07 AM

    Paris always.has so much going on, especially in the fall. One of the reasons why we love it so. Another attraction is the chocolate. A Chocolat Tour?? Yes, please! I also hoard those little boxes…trésors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:30 PM

      This week is daunting especially. Today - 3 exhibits including Art Basel which was mamouth! And anoher section at the Tuileries too 😳 Chocolate 🍫 research I can ALWAYS do. No question about it.

      Delete
  3. I don't get the Celine..handbags etc..people so proud of owning a bag or shoes at such prices..yikes.:)Give me a cardboard box that's cute;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:55 PM

      Different folks, different strokes. Like I’d flip for a fancy paintbox rather than a purse. It’s all the same thing isnt it? Obsession/possessions

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Amen, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trench coats will always be in style; a very wise sales person recommended a black one in 2005 to me and I have worn it since. Later I purchased a tan one that also has provided years of wear. I agree about the shoes...killer for bunions and tender toes! Love the events you attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:35 PM

      I don’t think I’ve ever had a trenchcoat…my waistline is not so well-defined though THEY are wearing the belt tied in the back and the front open and unbuttoned. I tried to impress it upon my sister today (wearing a trench coat) but she could have cared less. I also explained that paisley neck scarves are umm…out. Not interested😳

      Delete
  6. Patrick Roger is one of my favorites and I adore his green boxes (I have several- empty, of course). No,No,NO to those heels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:48 PM

      You have to try Hugo & Victor next trip and compare. I’m interested in your astute opinion 👏

      Delete
  7. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Thank YOU, Carol, for what was a totally delightful last evening in Paris for me!!!!!
    à la prochaine,
    Chiyo, your partner in crime

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:38 PM

    I recall a post of yours from last year(maybe?) about going to the Salon des Coqs d'Or. I see that this year it will be on November 26 and 27 at the Pullman Paris Centre Bercy. Is this something that the general public can go to? Does one have to purchase tickets ahead of time? Are kids allowed?

    I know you may not have answers to any of those questions, but I am finding very limited information online and I am very interested in this event.

    Thank you for any help!
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:26 PM

      To answer one of my questions, kids were allowed in prior years.

      It also appears as though I found a PDF that allows for two half priced tickets, not that the entry fee is steep. http://www.guidedesgourmands.fr/fichiers/1666013935_invit_demi_GdG_2022.pdf

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:40 PM

      I wore
      a trench coat when I was 16. If I had it now it'd be an antique. Like me.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous8:19 PM

      Yes anyone can go and its so much fun! Its too early to get tickets. There is a Basque store on 18, bd. St Michel who participate in the show and in the past they offered FREE TICKETS (I go with a press pass but Totally for the public to come and BUY Christmas presies.
      Boutique Pierre Oteiza Paris Saint-Michel
      Is the place. Nice jambon sandwiches!

      Delete
    4. Anonymous9:05 PM

      I added the PDF here:
      https://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2021/12/salon-coqs-dor.html

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:15 PM

    Thanks, Carol! This is great!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:16 PM

    The flurry of activities, colors, people all wrapped in their own tastes...& stilletos (omg), candies, food, changing grand art exhibits...does one ever tire of Paris? And are the life-long locals aware of all these offerings as are visitors & recent implants? I love it all & can feel the excitement. Thanks Carol for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you