Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Claude Monet - Joan Mitchell | Fondation Louis Vuitton, Soupe

 

Last Friday I met up with Chiyo to see the new Monet-Mitchel exhibit at Fondation Louis Vuitton. 

it was drizzling again but the lush paintings revived us immediately 
Seeing a mess of Monet paintings will do that, especially while wandering through Frank Gehry’s extra-terrestrial structure. 
“Monet - Mitchell" creates a dialogue between two exceptional painters, both obsessed with the surface of water, mark-making  and atmosphere 
Claude Monet (1840-1926) and Joan Mitchell (1925-1992). Teaser video here
They both spent time in 
Vétheuil, a small commune on the Seine, 60 kilometers northwest of Paris, 
Located in the arrondissement of Pontoise in the Val-d'Oise department with a population of about 800 plus.

Claude Monet lived in Vétheuil from 1878 to 1881,
During which he produced some 150 paintings. 

Joan Mitchell moved to Vetheuil in 1959 where she produced many abstract works. 
I found it hard not to focus exclusively on the many lush Monet water lily paintings, 
Most of them were from the Marmottan Monet museum
One of Paris’ small and too often overlooked museums in the 16th arrondissement. 
More Monet immersion…
Right now the BBC Sounds has a gardening program on, Life in the Garden by Penelope Lively
The first 15 minutes of the program focus on how Monet painted his water lilies. After the exhibit, exhausted, we took the shuttle bus the museum offers to l’Etoile…rather a bumpy ride. 
In the rain I suggested we grab a soup at the restaurant Le Drugstore in The Publicisdrugstore nearby (where I’ve never eaten but their takeout is superb). 
We got the soup(12€), Soupe de potimarron, spaghetti de courge, champignons et noisettes /Pumpkin soup, squash spaghetti and mushrooms and hazelnuts. Divinely out of this world, rich and creamy with the added crunch of hazelnuts in season. So Autumnal and exactly what we needed to revive and refresh. 
I went home and was inspired to copy our soup ( Picard has a butternut version as well). I added their moules for a bit more protein, plus Champignon de Paris, and persillade for added flavor (Jacques Pepin shows you how to DIY) but here it’s easy to find. Plus an essential tablespoon or two of cream. Yum. FYI France has recently adopted the NOVA system of evaluating nutrition in processed foods. Now I try to stick with As and Bs. Goodby Picard’s l’escargot, 🐌 my favorite, a D😬 

A
big Thank you to C. for buying the 6-pack of Eiffel Tower Paris letters. The perfect gift for Eiffel Tower obsessives. It’s shipped flat from Paris with tracking. 
I have no rainy pictures of the Seine…🍁Bonne Tuesday dear PBers🍁



25 comments:

  1. Ellen A3:38 AM

    So much good information here, Carol! I have to admit that I was not attentive enough to the early publicity re: this latest LV Fondation show. I thought it was going to be Joni Mitchell's music accompanying the Monets! And your tips about recreating the delicious soup at Le Drugstore are very helpful. I did not know that Picard sold moules marinières - already cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:01 AM

      Oh how I wish it had been JOANIE Mitchell accompanying Monet = too perfect! More museums should offer music audios. Debussy would also work. As for the Picard moules - it says on the front 4 minutes in a pan, 3 minutes 30 seconds in the micro. I used to eat these all the time when I first moved to Paris (they were half the price :)) and quite tasty with quinoa etc. The Winter soups make excellent bases and if you have a decent sized freezer (does anyone in Paris?) the bigger size is a better deal. Voila

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:01 AM

      Should be JONI !

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:39 AM

    Adore this post!!! Anabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:56 AM

    Loved our visit to the Marmatton museum. The Monet paintings were donated by Monets son. They are on the lower floor of the museum. Upstairs are a charming collection of Napoleon era items. If I remember correctly that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:04 PM

      I know…they are kind of hidden away downstairs at the Marmottan . Its always a surprise to discover them. Many are very sketchy…preparatory works.

      Delete
  4. And I thought you meant Joni Mitchell (who's a pretty interesting artist herself, outside of her music!) But I'm with you on the Monet. That is absolutely dazzling. I'll never forget being able to get a nose-length away from the panels at the Orangerie. I would be in seventh heaven at this incredible exhibit! I miss Picard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:39 PM

      Oh you’re a Picard fan too Jeanie!

      Delete
  5. Another educational post as I was not familiar with Joan Mitchell. I really enjoyed the mention & photos of the Marmottan & Le Drug Store. I was present at both of them some 45 years ago with my son then 2yrs old in a stroller. Le Drug Store is quite upscale now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:53 PM

      I think it was always pretty upscale…a lot of celebrities back in the day used to hang out there - first of its kind and on Champs-Elysées when it was more upscale.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:30 AM

    Can’t wait to see this extraordinary show in a few weeks. Stateside, the Joan Mitchell exhibition - jointly curated by Baltimore Museum of Art and San Francisco Museum of Modern Art - was a spectacular presentation on both coasts. For a good read about the struggles- and powerful determination, talent and grit with which Mitchell and others claimed their rightful places in the modern art movements, read ‘Five Painters and the Movement that Changed Modern Art.’ Fascinating read on careers of Joan Mitchell, Lee Krasner, Elaine de Kooning, Grace Hartigan and Helen Frankenthaler (by Mary Gabriel.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:01 PM

      So many strong painters. Glad they are getting their due. Pioneers.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:37 AM

    This is a wonderful post Carol as I absolutely love Monet paintings. I saw an exhibit here in my hometown of Monet's later work and I will never forget it. Seeing so many of his paintings up close and personal is just amazing. Nice to be introduced to Joan Mitchell's art as well. Merci.-Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:55 PM

      Yes, thrillingto see so many together Suzanne

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Looks like a very interesting exhibit, Carol. Fondation LV is a work of art in itself, I love exploring that building!

    Your homemade soup is very creative and appealing. I’m so excited it’s soup season. Bon app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:56 PM

      Thanks :)) I love to concoct soups in Winter.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:27 PM

    Thanks for this beautiful post. Would love to see this in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can never get enough Monet. The small museums is one of my favorite maps and I love every one of those museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:58 PM

      Thanks Suki. Mine too. Paris museums used to be so personal, like open homes, owned by families, not fashion conglomerates…

      Delete
  11. Anonymous6:40 PM

    Thank you for this fabulous newsletter. I so wish I could see the exhibit but it is closing before our next trip to Paris in May. Sigh. I love both of these artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:00 PM

      Even living here, it’s hard to keep up with so much going on. I could be running everyday. I miss a lot.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know about the artist Joan Mitchell. I think you’re getting drizzle because we finally getting some sunshine and warm weather down here in the Southern Hemisphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:41 AM

      As the world turns Kirra 🌎

      Delete
  13. Anonymous12:11 PM

    Thanks for the persillade link to Jacque Picard!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you