Friday, October 21, 2022

Art Basel Paris

I don’t know how I did it, but somehow or other yesterday; I went to the Ink show at 11, Dior Galerie at 1 (my sister found me inside the Metro! 

This is Guinness book of records material. Usually our meetups are historically such a mixup of delays and getting lost. Does this happen to you when meeting family members?).


And to Art Basel at Grand Palais Ephemera between 3 - 5 pm, near the Eiffel Tower.
I have never seen so many people at an art exhibit first day. Wearing all-black is OK. 
This chic woman was eating a banana ๐ŸŒ Maybe in dire need of magnesium. Qui sait? They took away the snack bar and added more gallery cubicles. It is a huge show.
 I liked this big blue felt(?) l’Heure Blue perfume sculpture in Yves Klein blue from Guerlain Les Militantes, who promotes 15 women artists each year. Cost - 15,000€. Exhibition is on at 68 Champs-ร‰lysรฉes till 14 November.
I liked this embroidery piece. I couldn’t find the artist’s name label as is often the case at these big multi-gallery shows. The artist is Alighiero Boetti 
The strong color pieces really popped out like this sculpture by Jean-Luc Moulรจne

Look! Moulรฉne made the cover of FT’s Art Basel story.
A Kusama sculpture greets you at the entrance. 
There were many Alex Katz paintings including flower paintings I’d never seen before. 
My big claim to fame is I once posed in Maine for an Alex Katz group painting (I’m wearing the red-stripped top
). Years later I saw Alex in the Subway. He recognized me and said hello! I am now hanging in MOMA. I got off the escalator at the newly renovated building and freaked.
These big art shows are good for fashion watching
And people watching. Sometimes it’s hard to decide which is more interesting.
I just recently discovered Spanish sculptor Jaime Plensa. His drawings are big and beautiful. 
An utterly simple work by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei
Another simple statement from writer, sculptor, Edmonde de Waal. Have you read his ravishing book, The Hare with the Amber Eyes?
Simple but silly? Time to wrap up… 
So much to see at ART BASEL
Classic Giacometti. And there are tents at the Tuileries too. I took a  deep look inside those glass balls. 
Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast. Please share with friends. Consider visiting my Etsy shop to help keep me in Paris
           ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ’‹❤️Bonne Weekend PBers❤️๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿฅ‚

25 comments:

  1. What a fun exhibit full of brilliant color! Hmm..just thinking...I have a lot of wire hangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:11 AM

      Hahaha Get cracking Ga ! Show me your hangers ๐ŸŽจ

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:09 AM

    You’re back with the style shots !!!! Keep Taking them—I’m quite sure I’m not the only one who loves ❤️ them CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:10 AM

      I was chasing after some people like an idiot :))

      Delete
    2. Adrien Bray8:33 PM

      Photo bombing! ๐Ÿ˜„

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Carol. The variety of the art was stimulating. Envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:53 AM

      A WILD variety of artworks..you would not believe

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:26 AM

    From Monique..enjoy your sister’s visit๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:54 AM

      Oui absolutement Monique ❤️

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:56 AM

    The artist of the embroidery is Alighiero Boetti. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alighiero_Boetti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:33 AM

      Thank you so much ❤️There were 2 pieces on the wall and 3 very tiny labels in a row. Everyone was craning their necks to see. I gave up and later wished I had made more effort. Lucky I have such savvy readers ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:42 AM

      What a story! What a unique artist. I hadn’t a clue.
      Between 1971 and 1979 he set up the One Hotel with his friend and business partner Gholam Dastaghir[19] in Kabul[20] as a kind of artistic commune[21] and created large colourful embroideries, the most famous of these were the Mappa, world maps in which each country features the design of its national flag. In 1971, Boetti commissioned women at an embroidery school in Kabul to embroider his first map. He initially intended to make only one but went on to commission roughly 150 of them in his lifetime, with no two possessing exactly the same dimensions.
      Boetti's maps reflect a changing geopolitical world from 1971 to 1994, a period that included the collapse of the Soviet Union and the fall of the Berlin Wall. Embroidered by up to 500 artisans in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the maps were the result of a collaborative process leaving the design to the geopolitical realities of the time, and the choice of colours to the artisans responsible for the embroidery. The maps delineate the political boundaries of the countries.[22][16] In one map, the sea is unexpectedly coloured pink rather than blue, as landlocked Afghans had no tradition of mapping, certainly not of oceans.[3] The border texts contain dates or details relative to the work's production, Boetti's signature and sayings, as well as excerpts from Sufi poetry.
      "For me the work of the embroidered Mappa is the maximum of beauty. For that work I did nothing, chose nothing, in the sense that: the world is made as it is, not as I designed it, the flags are those that exist, and I did not design them; in short I did absolutely nothing; when the basic idea, the concept, emerges everything else requires no choosing." Alighiero e Boetti, 1974[23]

      Delete
  6. Great post, as always. I just have to say, what an amazing claim to fame! I would love to be one of the people in a famous artist's painting. And hanging in the MOMA. And have that artist recognize you? How fun. Love your inspiring photos, thanks so much for your frequent posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:52 AM

      You’re very welcome Gwyneth ๐Ÿ˜Š❤️ Definitely a feather in one’s cap ๐Ÿชถ

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Sounds wonderful, Carol! And glad you got to see your sister. ❤️ Suz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie L10:56 AM

    My goodness, you have been busy…a veritable whirlwind! All that Parisian chocolate must be an energy booster! I would love to see the Art Basel exhibit, to fantasize about putting some of that fabulous art on my walls, and to check out what everyone is wearing! Thanks for the Boetie link. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating over the top exhibit, Including all the people. I love your snapshots of the people and fashions. Enjoy your sister visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:34 PM

      Shooting the ‘lewks’ was just as much fun as the art was

      Delete
  10. Anonymous4:32 PM

    So what do you wear to Paris exhibits? C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:32 PM

      Good question
      I wore reliable black…unfortunately no trench coat or over the knee boots at the moment in my closet

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11:08 PM

    Yes! I've read The Hare with Amber Eyes. What a travelogue. A remarkable book. And years ago I interviewed his sister who was visiting Australia. At the time of course, I didn't know of the connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:21 PM

      Loved it too. His newest book is a companion to Hare, ‘Letters to Camondo’ and supposed to be also wonderful also. Loads of interviews on Youtube regarding. I must go back to musee Camondo.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous11:16 PM

    Great reading as always!!!!! Charlotte Puckett

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:24 PM

    Hmmm, PERHAPS with your famous Alex Katz portrait at the MOMA you should start wearing a red and white striped shirt!!?? C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:25 PM

      Great idea Carla ๐Ÿ˜Š
      Maybe get it permanently tattooed on oui?

      Delete

Love hearing from you