Sunday, October 09, 2022

What I ate in Paris this week…

I did not get this Sangria at la Fetes des Vendages in Montmartre yesterday but I should have….so pretty

Sunday was one of those classic Fall days in Paris. You cannot stay inside. 

Fall is always the time to think wine 🍷 


Its grape-picking 🍇 time throughout France. Regional wines were flowing at fete des Vendanges à Montmartre as always.

Everyone was toasting 🍷 everyone else in Mont martre 

Course there are a lot of stairs to climb up 😬 but at least metro Abbesses elevator was working…one mustn’t grumble. 

First I got a plate of Oléron oysters toute suite. 

Then this jambon-fromage sandwich made with excellent Beaufort, which I immediately regretted.

when I saw the foie gras sandwiches and other goodies on the other side 😟 

I left the mad crush and caught the funiculaire down. 

Look! An Amelie chicken joint! 
It’s so easy to get lost in Montmartre.

On rue Steinkerque I turned round to get my bearings et voila.

Earlier in the day I went to the pool…to workout before the feast, but I always end up going Marais-browsing which defeats the purpose. 

First to adorable and witty Chez Bogato a children’s party store, where I was offered not one but two marshmallows/ guimauves! 
I asked the guy,”Are you the owner?” And he said, “no, but my father is” smiling.

Then like an idiot, I said, “are you from Columbia? Bogota?” No he said. And then I GOT IT! 😬 Bogato = Beau Gateau. I was once, briefly in Bogota (whilst running away from an Argentinian in Rio) suffering from altitude sickness. They give you coco tea ☕️ made from cocain..that’s my idiotic excuse.


Then I wandered into Eataly to pick up a sensible salad and discovered a chocolate popsicle from Italian Domori. Only the absolute best chocolate maker in the world using the absolute best Criollo beans. Impossible to pass up. Except I forgot about it and it melted completely by the time I got home. Still it was out of this world. 

Can you guess where I am? 
We are at Berthillon salon de thé! Yes I ate every bite of their excellent cheesecake with framboise/ raspberry coulis. Their brownies are to die for.

No ice cream 🍦 passed our lips. 

Bonnie and I have been discussing whether you can get a good chocolate chip cookie in Paris. This used to be the case but no more. Never one to pass up a challenge I felt duty-bound to try the cookie at Boulanger de la Tour. Perfect imho. FYI Cookies are HOT in Paris these days. And a lot better than the trending over-iced donuts.  Even Alain Ducasse has gotten into the act, but he does not yet understand the concept. You must offer single cookies, not only €€€€ boxes of 6 or 12 cookies. What fun is that? What do you think? 

On Tuesday Amy Thomas of Paris My Sweet fame, mentioned the renown pistache escargot at Du Pain et des Idées. I felt compelled to jump out of bed and get over to Canal St. Martin. 

I shared mine with the pigeons and these kids from Comme des Garçon, Tokyo, here for Fashion Week. 

That wraps up this week’s eating report, except for the little chocolate boxes I ate post-Hotel Lambert auction, while in survivor mode. 

FYI coming this weekend: Festival de Flan at all Fou de Patisserie shops. I am ready. 
Do you want more eating reports? Let me know
Wandering down rue Saint Honoré I found the perfect designer, Moschino. I’ve always said, “Never leave the house without a spoon 🥄 “.
This designer supplies the essentials👏 
                       Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast! 
*If you like this post please support it by buying my Paris letters and watercolors
And pass on to someone who might enjoy it.. 
                                 Happy Monday PBers 



27 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:36 AM

    It all looks good! Très delicieuse! Jane Gabin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:56 AM

    Carol, thank you fir a fun filled trip today. Sorry about the Abbesses elevator.
    The easy way to climb those stairs is like this:
    for each step you take, very slowly say one-one-thousand, two- one-thousand etc. Say it ever so slowly.
    Voilà! You are not tired or out of breath at the top. It works, I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:56 AM

      Great idea! But what about the hundreds of people behind you? Not so great for them…

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:53 AM

    Fun food post today ….
    I got to the Montmartre celebration Sunday morning.
    It was pretty fantastic
    I walked up the steps, the line was too long for the funicular
    And the steps were painted so cheerily that I hardly noticed how many steps there were! B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Scarff5:11 AM

    We were in Montmartre on Saturday, and shocked at the crowds and parades. Everyone was in such a happy mood. And the steps are certainly daunting with such crowds. So glad for our reservation at Coq et Fills, however. It’s game season in France, and our Black Guinea Hen did not disappoint, although I brought 3/4 of it home for a great soup…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:09 AM

      I know…a giant party. It’s the 3rd biggest festival in Paris! After Salon de l’Agriculture and salon du chocolat coming up soon!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:09 AM

      PS its a 5-day event too!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:29 AM

    Yes, more food & eating reports! I’m clapping! Marvelous! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:41 AM

      Oh Goodie! I mean I’m gonna be eating anyway..why not share 😊

      Delete
  6. Bonnie L8:50 AM

    You live a charmed life, Carol. From food fêtes, characterful little shops, designer clothes, to Paris weather. Sigh!

    Yes! More eating reports, s’il te plaît. Looking forward to the Flan Festival! I adore sable cookies when in France. I just don’t desire chocolate chip cookies when visiting while there are so many other, unique to France, pastries available.

    Love your Berthillon map…a perfect world where everyone is holding an ice cream. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:56 AM

    I love the eating reports! I am of the mind that no one does cookies right any more. They are all too big!! I do, however, keep looking and sampling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:22 AM

      The French have a long tradition if dainty little tea cookies like Petit Beurre (and cakes like the madeleine). I suppose that’s why they’re excited about a hardy chocolate chip. The oatmeal cookie, I believe has not yet made the grade..but any day now its turn may come to shine 🎉🔥 and set the town on fire. There is a constant thirst here for something new to riff on. Go figure

      Delete
  8. What a fun & exhausting day. I do enjoy seeing what you are eating.🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:09 AM

    We both enjoyed Motmartre a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Monique above🙂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:34 AM

    loved this food review! I will be in Paris starting Oct. 19 for 3 weeks and sure hope to get to the salon du chocolat. I will staying on Ile de la Cite across from Notre Dame the first week - maybe we could meet for some pastries or ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:23 AM

      Maybe Anonymous…😊

      Delete
  12. Anonymous10:31 AM

    I enjoy your food reports Carol so please keep them coming. I have to admit that looking at all your fabulous photos makes me hungry. (and missing Paris) -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I always love your food reports and your wonderful wandering around Paris. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:06 AM

    One can never have too many food reports, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:51 AM

    We love the food reports. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:04 PM

    what a fabulous post! Fun, fun! Jam packed with delights. Looked like it was a very busy weekend. Thank goodness you go to the pool, and climb all those stairs Dora

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Those Moschino silverware pieces are a hoot! I’d be afraid to sit down with that belt around my waist! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:44 PM

    I enjoy ALL your posts and you can never review too much food!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the pistasche escargot at Du Pain et des Idees but cookies are my biggest weakness. I'm not sure I've ever really eaten many cookies (of the chocchip type) in Paris as I've never thought of Paris as a cookie sort of city.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun post! I love the eating review and also seeing the nice Paris pool and Sacre Coeur.
    I don’t remember seeing biscuits/cookies like that in France, but you definitely need to be able to buy the large ones individually! I usually end up eating too many packets of those little boy biscuits with chocolate on one side.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Carol, Bev KJ here, love everything you do!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you