Sunday, August 15, 2021

Audrey in Paris Map


This scene in Sabrina (probably shot on a Hollywood set) somehow elicits all the longing we have for the dream of Paris, even if we live here. Parisians claim her and adore her as much as the rest of us as a Paris icon.The last few weeks have been a total immersion in Audrey Hepburn. 

At first I thought the Paris map would show only film locations. 
3-4 are shown, but there is so much more to the Audrey in Paris story. I found out about Audrey from a daily menu of watching documentaries plus binging on 3 films in one day(1 with Japanese subtitles).

You can’t think of Audrey in Paris without including her dear friend and 40-year collaborator couture designer Hubert de Givenchy. A match made in heaven - they inspired and enhanced each other and together created timeless fashion we all still want to wear. Who knew Audrey sometimes drew ✏️ sketches for Givenchy? 

What an eminently elegant, austere man. Not so easy to draw ✏️ And he had the best hair.

            Photo by Richard Avedon
And how to capture Audrey Hepburn’s wonderfully expressive, inimitable face? 

I did like a million sketches ✏️ …

Impossible to leave out Mr.Famous, Audrey’s adorable Yorkie.

Mr. Famous traveled to Paris with Audrey and starred in the Gare du Nord smoky, train scene in Funny Face.
 

Did you know Audrey’s favorite color was Cyan blue? She used turquoise ink for all her letters. Of course I went out looking for that shade of ink from J. Herbin. Sennelier was out. But I happily found a similar shade. 


You could have breakfast in Paris at Audrey’s favorite hotel (it’s on the map). 

If you want to make yourself up to look like Audrey follow beauty guru, Lisa Eldridge on Youtube. Lisa bought Audrey’s fabulous gold and sapphire lipstick holder (shown on the map) at the Christie’s 2017 auction by the way. 

Christie’s Audrey Hepburn auction
is still online if you want to browse vicariously through her divine belongings, many Parisian. I wrote about an earlier 2012 auction here

The auctions are over, but you can get a ‘bonus’ watercolor (3”x5”) of her perfume, L’Interdit. Givenchy created it specially for Audrey, just purchase a watercolor, a 6-pack or a letter subscription in my Etsy shop
I could go on and on about Audrey… Someone said, “Audrey Hepburn is my religion” Is there an A.H. trivia contest somewhere? I’m ready. Audrey did not live in Paris per se except the many times when filming (5 films). She spoke perfect French along with Dutch, Italian and English of course. The last 10 years of her life were spent tirelessly as a UNICEF ambassador extending her warmth, generous spirit and love to the impoverished children of the world. She was one of a kind and touched us all in the most innumerable lovely ways. RIP ❤️💋🌝 ☺️ 
Bon Dimanche PBers. Please stay cool🙏


18 comments:

  1. How wonderful Carol. Truly a work of love bringing two beautiful talents together…you and Audrey.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. In love with the map as I am in love with her.Her dad sure changed her life:(Loved the documentary we watched this past year.Audrey 2020 ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful tribute to Audrey and her connection to Paris, Carol. I can’t help thinking that watching Audrey’s movies set in Paris, as a girl, helped to instill in me a lifelong passion for Paris…even if they might have been filmed on a Hollywood set. She is such an iconic figure, never dated, she is elegantly timeless. Thank you for creating a beautiful Audrey in Paris Map.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can’t wait to receive this map! It is so fabulous!! All the work, details, and love that went into the map are clearly evident. Take a well deserved bow and treat yourself to a lemon something for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the amazing peacock blue in in my pen all through high school. So beautiful still.
    You have so much wonderful talent. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennings11:22 AM

    This was your most wonderful post ever (maybe; you have many).
    Audrey was the one star I really wanted to look and dress like; she and her style were amazing. I watched Sabrina over and over and over just to see her. You captured her perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JJ I was so excited to find out about Hepburn’s turquoise ink 🖋 fixation recently
    So many years lost not writing with turquoise…I guess it was common knowledge to serious fans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audrey 2020
    ❤️Thanks for the reminder Monique
    I have to see that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She has always been a favorite of mine. And Funny Face is one of my "desert island movies" -- oh, perfection. But then she was always perfection, regardless of plot. Yup. An all-time favorite. Now I must think of the rest of the five movies in Paris -- three come easily to mind but I need to wrack my brains for the other two!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I even bought Pink In The Afternoon lipstick because of her.:)♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sybille2:08 PM

    I think I need to have my own Audrey film festival…like you have done…watch all the movies that inspired me as a girl. She’s like a trés elegant girl-next-door…you can only feel love and admiration for her…never envy or resentment. Brava on another fabulous Paris Map.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeanie, I meant to include the list
    Paris - When It Sizzles
    Two for the Road
    How to Steal a Million
    Charade
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    Funny Face
    ‘Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monique, I was mad for her gold hoop earings in Sabrina. I searched like mad, sure they wou,d turn my life around instantly.
    And now they are all over Etsy if you search…

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely sketches and colors. Classic, just like Audrey. My husband surprised me with Interdit for Christmas. Delicious fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you Kiwi! I read its gone through several iterations, the latest is more like the original - powdery, with hints if jasmine, orangeflower..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Audrey Hepburn. She was so elegant. Charade was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. CHARADE an easily be found on Youtube

    ReplyDelete
  18. My birthday twin! I have always loved Audrey. A book I highly recommend is "Audrey at Home" by her son Luca Dotti. It's full of wonderful, never before seen photos, reminiscences, and her favorite recipes. My favorite Audrey film is the thriller "Wait Until Dark". Im surprised she didn't get an Oscar nod for her performance. For pure escapism, "How To Steal a Million" with Peter O'Toole. They were both so gorgeous to look at!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you