Sunday, May 05, 2024

The French Ingredient: Making a Life in Paris One Lesson at a Time; A Memoir By Jane Bertch

 I LOVE ❤️ 

Jane Bertch’s new book📕 The French Ingredient.

Jane Bertch started, runs, created, manages and masterminded, LA CUISINE PARIS cooking classes & French Food Tours at 80, quai de l’Hôtel de Ville, 75004

I have been loving 🥰 Jane’s book 📕 since I listened to David Leibovitz’ podcast with Jane on April 6.

I immediately bought the Kindle version. Real books were not yet available & some peep (hello ADHD) need instant gratification.
If you
YELLOW mark up your books 📖 like I do, get the Kindle version. If you respect books 📚 get it in the flesh. Then mark it up ✏️ 

I’m annoyed 😖 Jane’s book 📕 was not out the day I landed in Paris 11+ years ago. There is soooo much ESSENTIAL Info on Paris life.
We solitary artists 🎨 don’t get out as much as the rest of you. We miss picking up details, nuances, le petit choses of quotidien life here being bc we’re distracted or busy procrastinating.
When my neighbor invited me in for an àpero 🍸
I didn’t know I was supposed to reciprocate 🙄in a timely manner, instead of 🤔 when I get my studio cleaned up 🧹 I’ll have her over for lunch or something.
The first part of Jane’s book tells of her hysterical adventures working in a French € bank. There is insider information here you can’t find anywhere. Jane, you have a potential hot Netflix series as good as Call My Agent imo 👍
 The adorable instructor Mardi here in a class  I took in 2012
The trials & tribulations of creating a cooking school in Paris are beyond daunting. Jane is a type A, as her mother says for sure. 
Why do I love The French Ingredient so much & think you must read it?
Jane is a terrific writer ✍️ 
Cover & sketches by the talented jessie kanelos weiner.  
Jane, throw out the pots & pans and take up the pen 🖊️ permanently. 
(Knife skills class in 2018)
My face was hurting from smiling 😂 & laughing so much.
Open Jane’s book 📖 & start reading anywhere. It’s perfect for on the Metro 🚇 
There are endless intriguing little stories 
I did not want to finish Jane’s book 📕 though I stayed up till 2:00am last night 🙃 It’s too yummy. (Macaron class in 2010).
As always i
f you enjoyed this post please support PB & buy my Paris maps, letters & watercolors on Etsy. Share with a Friend. Meanwhile Bear 🐻 & I will run to the Marché Bastille for artichokes & broccoli 🥦  Bon Dimanche❤️

21 comments:

  1. Reading her book now and I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:45 AM

      Isn’t fun and engaging. I don’t t know if I did it justice.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:40 AM

    These classes look wonderful! I attended a week cooking school in Paris years ago and it was all in French; there was a young English woman taking an extended course for a certificate who translated for me off and on. Despite this the course was so helpful and .the experience of getting to the school via the metro daily was interesting to say the least. Mostly, my French was severely elementary but people were so kind to try and help so when you read that French are rude and snobby it doesn't register with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:52 AM

      Early on I did the macaron classes in French…once at the École Ritz Escoffier
      Everyone used to go back then…not that I ever put anything into practice
      Bear 🐻 came along to translate
      https://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2010/03/macaron-class-at-ecole-ritz-escoffier.html

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered it from the library

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delightful, Carol. I love books about France and cooking and Americans abroad so this ticks all the boxes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:52 AM

      You will be enthralled Jeanie I hope

      Delete
  5. Bonnie L12:34 PM

    Great book review, Carol! I’m sold. Can’t wait to receive my copy! Merci

    Hope you had a successful shopping expedition to the Marché Bastille. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:59 PM

      Ah ha Going for the actual book 📕
      I’m anxiously awaiting your opinion Bonnie

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited as have a copy of Jane's book still in its packaging, as I don't want any spoilers. I'm taking a few days off soon and so looking forward to reading it. I can imagine it's great fun to read, just like lovely Jane. She always makes me giggle! This will be an absolute gem. Thanks for sharing, Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:58 PM

      No way are there spoilers
      I think you will relate Jill 👏

      Delete
  7. Nancy O2:29 PM

    I am reading Jane's book and loving it. We spend the month of October 2023 in Paris and my husband actually attended one of her cooking classes. His pastry results were delicious, especially the croissants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:57 PM

      So nice to hear & share
      It’s my new favorite book on Paris

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4:41 AM

    Uh oh another book to add to the stack 📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:41 AM

      Unputdownable
      You won’t regret it

      Delete
  9. Right up your alley! You created a whole life there..I don't see you as solitary though..I find you mix and mingle and make friends.Book sounds soo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:55 AM

      Such an enjoyable, informative book Monique and I hardly read books anymore - quelle surprise! 👏

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:56 AM

      Artist have to spend a lot of time alone malheureusement 🫣

      Delete
  10. PS thanks for the link for the DL podcasts:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Thanks so much for telling us about Jane Bertch's memoir, I read a few pages on Amazon and have ordered it from the library, it is fascinating especially for those of us who would love to live in Paris like yourself! Penelope

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you