Wednesday, February 20, 2013

In Passy

Samdi 16 fevrier Murder in Passy
When Paris mystery author contacted me about featuring her newest book, Murder BELOW Montparnasse because there was a Paris trip sweepstakes I jumped at the chance to review it. But hadn't I better immerse myself in her character Aimee Leduc to get familiar with the genre?

Fortunately there's a free Aimee Leduc Companion iBook/kindle to help out with background info on places, people, French expressions bla bla bla.
And of course info on Aimee's pup, Miles Davis (who looks an awful lot like author Cara's own darling hound...
If a tad fuzzier ahem...
Fancy-shmancy Passy in the 16th, the setting for the murder, is just a few stops over the Seine for me on the Metro, though another world completement. Tres riche, tres chere, tres upper-crusty compared to my villagie part of Paris.
I love that she names names of specific places in Passy and notes the architecture which is particularly gorge in the 16th...
Aimee is a big cafe-goer and I intend to copycat her and get a few lecons. Cafe du Troc you might remember from Woody Allen's Mightnight in Paris.
You can count on some museums in the quartier like musee Marmotton plus an artist or two. Sennelier gets a mention (the artist's brand of paints bien sur).
At one point pop into musee Balzac to do some tough problem solving while contemplating Balzac's writing desk. I'm crazy for these local details. It makes you want to throw on your red hightops(Aimee's chaussure of choice) and trail after her.
There are Basque terrorists in the plot so plenty of gateau Basque cerises. Miam miam (a must-taste when I get back).
She reminds me a lot of French Tardi comic book character Adele Blanc-Sec
I would definitely Love to wear the Tintin watch she keeps checking. I barely told you about the plot but it's full of twists and turns and will keep you on the edge if your chaise je te promis.

25 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting..everything you share does..Love the watch too..Little bichons are too cute:)

    Watching SPIRAL on Netflix..you may like..French ..English subs..shot in Paris.."Engrenages"..30 epis..season 4 in progress.
    Gritty though..just a warning~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R u kidding?
      I watched it all..Engrenages- .ate it up and then watched in Paris on Thursday nites.
      In fact I recommended it to Cara

      Delete
  2. I love Cara's books, Aimee is a great character. I've only been to Paris so far but I love envisioning the locations she so wonderfully describes. I hope to someday see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I'll read it Kindle version, I hope? Spiral is next on our list for policiers---merci a Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Is her new book out? I've read all her book! Combination on my LOVE of Paris and childhood love of Nancy Drew! Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet but if you preorder before the pub date March 5, you get a chance at a free trip to Paris !

      Delete
  5. Your wide knowledge of Paris & all that is Parisian is so informative. I'm looking for a different kind of book, so I'll check out Cara Blacks book 'Murder in Passy'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour PB~
    I just ordered "Murder in Passy"...I love Cara Black! And since we will be staying in "le szieme"....it will be great to read it first.
    You're posts have gone to a new level since you are Carol ~la Parisienne!
    Have you read "The Secret Life of the Seine" by Mort Rosenblum....it's hilarious.
    Look forward to what's next..
    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow
      Thanks very much Suzanne! What a swell compliment... Very pleased to hear tell. And thanks for the book tip- Mort is terrific. cg

      Delete
  7. Thanks. We are big Cara Black fans and happy to hear that you may become one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely onboard.
      They give me a good excuse to visit undiscovered areas + not much pastry is mentioned - low calorie reading except for the Basque gateaux...

      Delete
  8. Murder BELOW Montparnasse not IN, as the others inthe series are titled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TANKS for the correction.
      I should know better I'm reading it :((

      Delete
  9. Super adorable review!! I love it! :)

    Milsters

    (http://www.littlepiecesoflight.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, little Miles Davis is enough to get me reading this! A modern-day Milou/Snowy?
    And omg, I am also an Engrenages addict - have season 4 on pre-order!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marian4:32 PM

    Woody's "Midnight in Paris" showed a sign on a building "Deluc Detective". The inspiration for Leduc? I've read all Cara Black's books. They're terrific little trips to Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marian4:46 PM

    Sorry, the sign was spelled Duluc Detective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed that sign in 2009 here...
      Maybe Woody reads PB?

      http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2009/06/dog-stalker.html

      Delete
  13. Anonymous8:12 PM

    These books should be read in order. I read most of them before I had been to Paris and loved them but then read the last two after my trips there last year. Much more fun for all my squeals of "I know what she is talking about" and "I've seen that!"... so now I will go back to the beginning and start over! One lovely day we set out to find Aimee's neighborhood and had a lovely wander (plus some Berthillion and Ann's Cookies.) Can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Marian, DULUC Detective is the inspiration for Aimée's detective agency! After interviewing Madame née Duluc (grandaughter of the founder but her married name is differetn) I knew I had to use her history in the book! Woody used the actual interior too. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, la la, and then some Carol.

    I love reading detective novels, and am a fan of Cara Black's novels. They give a pathway to many Paris neighborhoods, and a fast paced way to solve a crime or two, in wonderful style, encountering some mecs along the way.

    Bravo to you, Carol, and also to you, Cara, for keeping those of us who don't see enough of Paris ourselves feeling as if we might know a bit of a wonderful city.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo why didn't you say Frances?
      I'm late to this soirée

      Delete
  16. i just fell in love with those watches

    ReplyDelete
  17. The LAST thing the Basques need is identification as a terrorist, once that label has finally been shucked. The basque Country is one of the most beautiful parts of France and Parisians have identified it as their number dream vacation venu...

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you