Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Funny Faced by Veronique

 This snapshot with mirrors is not by Vuillard.
I'm at makeup artist Veronique Marot home getting a lecon. What you wear for a camera shoot like Carla Coulson's is not what you'd wear everyday.
 When Veronique was 1st at my apartment doing the make-over I got this picture of her looking like a Toulouse-Lautrec...very 'flou'
 'Flou' is exactly Veronique's favorite look - very soft, diffuse, blurred, au natural...
 At the cafe Veronique demonstrated how to put on eyeliner or was it curling your lashes using only Shu Uemura's lash curler?
 I decided I needed a lesson. I brought all my stuff to see what she thought of it.
 Veronique liked my Bobbie Brown blush!
Did I say Veronique is French, lived in LA and is back living in Paris. She's done runways shows, print, everything so she knows all the tricks of the makeup trade and is happy to share them.
 One of her tricks is Maybelline Great Lash in the pink and green container. Who knew the stuff we loved as teenagers was still good?
 Veronique frowned on my eyebrow tweezers. Uh oh. And I must curl my eyelashes before applying the Maybelline. Double uh oh.
 Thank you for showing me Bioderma - great for removing makeup and only 4 euros!
 We needed it since Vero tested out three different makeup bases on my skin (two of them mine) before she was happy with Armani #5 (not mine). She uses her hands to apply makeup as well as to test it out (bye-bye my fancy makeup brush). We did everything by the window and mirror for natural light. So many times you get made-over in a department store under florescent lights and then walk outside and wonder, 'What have I done?'
 Like every artist Veronique uses a paintbox. But she smushes lipsticks into hers .
 A British fashion photographer saw her drawing on set. He told her to become a makeup artist et voila!
 Veronique's 'book' is loaded with gorge samples.
You can come to Veronique's place
Or Veronique can come to you for a makeup lesson using your stuff and hers. Great fun indeed.

27 comments:

  1. So much fun looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's great fun to see these great photos/art..
    I have used that mascara..all the magazines say it's great..but I am using another now..she makes me want to switch:)
    And of course now I would like to try Bioderma..
    Flou is wonderful..especially in lighting when almost 60:)

    Véronique vous êtes tellement jolie aussi..très naturelle.. Ma mère adorait Nana Mouskouri..vos lunettes me font un peu penser aux siennes..
    Et vous? Une jeune sosie d'Anouk Aimée..

    Thank you Carol..I love these peeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup pour vos jolis compliments!

      Delete
  3. Love her style -simplicity and elegance
    Tres rare!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronique Marot is an artist who uses faces as her canvas. I want to be painted by her for the same reason I'd want to be painted by John Singer Sargent: she'd make me look like me alright, only ten times better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Vivian, she's a 3-D artist.
      I'm only good with 2-dimensions
      If there's a nose sticking out on my page I don't know what to do

      Delete
  5. I wonder if she could get eyeshadow to stay on my eyelids. Because I certainly can't...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent an email off to Veronique, though she left my lids naked..go figure

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy. Benefit has an eyeshadow base that might work for you...Or just some eyeliner at the base of the lashes might be enough perhaps! I like the YSL liner in a tube, or you can try the Bobby Brown or the MAC eyeliner... And yes Carol, the naked lid is also nice, non?

      Delete
    3. I was a little shocked at the 'naked' lid...but maybe if I curled my eyelashes a la Veronique I wouldn't need it...

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the tips, Veronique! I think I may be a lost cause...I use base over my lids, primer and eyeshadow applied with a brush...and I still blink it all off by noon.

      Maybe I need to schedule a makeover with you next time I'm in Paris!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh the eyelash curler! Such a precious tool! Shu Uemura makes the best one and it makes such a difference when you do that before applying mascara, or even without mascara...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Thanks Vero
      Your word is my command
      Shu Uemura here I come!

      Delete
  7. Fun! I have the curliest eyelashes and never need to curl them--I need an un-curler! When mascara goes on them, they curl back and hit my eyelid! Sounds like you had a good time learning all this, Carol.

    And yes--always with natural light or you look like you have a mask on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little out of my element on this one :)
    Great series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great V. Love it, B

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous experience...next time I'm in Paris I want to have my makeup done too. Who knew Great Lash is still the best to use. Years ago I bought mine at Woolworths.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun. I would LOVE to be made up by her. Does she make house calls to America? LOL
    I use an eye shadow base from Clinique that works great for me. My eye shadow stays on nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is right about the Shu U. eyelash curler!! For the eyeshadow: lots of companies make a base that you smooth on under powders - my current fave is by Too Faced. And there are lots of cream shadows that have staying power - look for ones labelled "creme to powder" if they don't say they'll stay all day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love make up lessons, and often find them on youtube, but someone to actually help you would be very good too! I use that mascara :0 Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms. Moneypenny4:39 AM

    I would love to learn how to do my own make-up. Its a hassle to call for help just to do my make-up. I can see that you have the talent for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another reason to go to Paris! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom taught me to curl my lashes since I am 15:) That's over 40 yrs of curling..If I had to have one thing it would be that..Hmm..Must look into the brand you recommend.Yes thank you for these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I lOVE makeup, which is why I was thrilled when I was hired at Sephora in the states :) We used to carry Shu Uemura eyelash curlers until they pulled out of the U.S. *sobs* I'm now using a MAC one, which is second runner up. Urban Decay makes a great eyeshadow primer (I live in Atlanta and my eyeshadow and Bobbi Brown eyeliner stay put.) Just curious as to what Bobbi Brown blusher shade you have... looks gorgeous!

    I love artists like Veronique Marot who are true artists and can apply it to face, because every face is a blank canvas. What an honour to have done this! Oh, and I read all sorts of wonderful things about Bioderma on beauty blogs and of course it's not available in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting information fig!
    Thanks
    The eyelash curler is available online at Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Veronique you style is super cool! and the photos are great. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you