Thursday, July 19, 2007

Bouchon Bakery

Bouchon little chocolate cakes I'm late visiting chef Thomas Keller's BOUCHON BAKERY
at 10 Columbus Circle, near 59th Street, third floor.

Bouchon BakeryFor some odd reason I thought they might have Pierre Herme Ispahan knockoffs for me to paint. But that is Bouley Bakery!
They do have MACARONS!
But only in a "medium" size?!
Why? I like the little/petit ones best - that way you don't feel such a pig eating them
These giant-looking chocolate "bouchon" are just the right size!
Only 2" tall and full of molten chocolate...YUM
Remember le bouchon is the word for a Champagne cork and that's how these are shaped.
Very pretty "Cherry chocolate cremoux (?)"
Are there cherries inside as well as on top? Qui sait?
This 1/2 globe is a popular French pastry shape with Herme and others.
My room mate is rescuing me by having this loaf-cake for breakfast!
What I actually ate, after all the browsing...
A plain old ham and cheese sandwich.
But all the bread is made in-house and the baguette is nice and chewy.
Quite Frenchie in my opinion - the bread was buttered as well as mustared like the French do it.
There are informal cafe tables nearby to munch your sandwich..
And for your hound. Foie gras–enriched doggie biscuits to keep his mind off your Chocolat bouchon!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I'm sad you didn't eat dessert for lunch. You're makin' me cry. ;-(..... Your painting's turned out nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 AM

    YUM I love Bouchon's Chocolate bouchons!
    GiGi Mignon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 AM

    So you DO find lots and lots in the US !?!
    As many as in Italy and France !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've gone and done it again. I am trapped in my cottage in a hamlet on a hill. It's rained so much that we are marooned by floods at the bottom of the hill. Both ways out are blocked and I have nothing sweet in the house except some honey. I licked the screen but it tasted of screen cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please let me have a Champagne cork, I shall work it off swimming in the lake tomorrow, I promise! ;-) "Qui sait?" ??? No proper research? And not even the Champagne corks? You taking home a loaf of what instead? Carol, is it really that hot?

    All I have left here is a hunk of Parmiggiano Reggiano, aged 36 months. Wanna share?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:21 PM

    I can't stop thinking about molten chocolate. Di, your post made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I was just there a couple of weeks ago (on vacation from CA). I even did a sketch of Columbus Circle from the Bouchon cafe, which I'll get around to posting soon.

    My husband and I are big fans of Thomas Keller and make a pilgramage to his French Laundry restaurant in Napa Valley once a year. Will be going there next month. There's a Bouchon there too, BTW.

    I always enjoy your lovely paintings - you have an eye for the simple and delightful pleasures of life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:59 PM

    I adore the Bouchon out here in CA.
    It's nice to know you can now get the same things :)
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:34 PM

    Okay, that's it. I can't stop by and drool over these pictures anymore when it's been three hours since I last ate. Those are just too much for me to take...or not take is more like it. Molten chocolate? Macarons? Ham and cheese?

    Where do I send my order??

    I write today about homogeneity and you write about delectable goodies...there is something out of whack here.

    Meilleurs voeux!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I gain five pounds everytime I read these posts...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:55 PM

    Chocolate plug, or cork sounds edible too me. Of course anything chocolate sounds appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Carol:
    Just discovered your BEAUTIFUL blog because I wrote a little something about "Bouchon Bakery". I added a link in my post to this post; I hope you don't mind (let me know, please!).
    Do you sell your watercolors??? Best.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you