Friday, August 18, 2006

Not Macarons...

Last Sunday, Corey did a lovely post on her friend, Shelly and French blue café au lait bols. I was reminded of the bleu bowls I saw while window shopping on rue Notre-Dame Des Champs last May in the 6ème.By the way lèche-vitrine (licking windows) is how you say window shopping in French -- it feels more accurate somehow.Are windows just more delicious in France?
*Here's a travel tip. It takes a good week and a half to get your eyes above window level in Paris. Then you can start to see the amazing architecture. Don't even try before 1 1/2 weeks...useless in my opinion.
I don't even drink coffee but I've always loved these bleu café bols. There's something about them that says grandmother's kitchen, something homey and comfortable. Maybe I've seen too many old French movies.
OK...So one GREEN bowl snuck in here. But these window still lifes are just too beautiful. Does Cézanne or Chardin own this shop? I bought a red and white café au lait bowl in France way back, made by Genevieve Lethu. I filled it with peaches and thought I'd paint it for this post...but no go :( It seems the MACARONS are still flying around in my head. Or maybe if the bowl had been BLEU?

10 comments:

  1. You have a great sense of design and color. I love your photographs. They are so inspiring.They make me want to fly to Paris to paint them.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I know I'll return here often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. prettier than pink? You have sucha beautiful blog, like a daily magazine of ideas, wonder, charm and you delightful personality! Wrapped up and freely given!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ask me why, but I'm surprised that you don't drink coffee. I don't either - I'm a tea girl myself. Iced tea. Beaucoup glace. Avec artificial sweetener. Now my secret is out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:07 AM

    I love the blues :-) Your post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painted or not, the peaches in the red and white cafe au lait bowl still look great. I think you have a really good eye for colour Carol. I also love the blue pottery items. The photos you post look great and remind me of my own trip to Paris earlier this year. Keep up the good work!

    NAOMI

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:22 PM

    I collect blue and white dishes – I just can't get enough of them. Something about the old transfer ware really attracts me like a magpie. Have you ever seen the Burleigh designs? English, not French, but beautiful.

    Great pics as usual ;-)

    Bisous,
    Ms. Glaze

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi carol, I WANT, I WANT, I WANT! (sorry, my morning coffee has made me a tad hyper ;))preferably a bleu set of 6, all in artfully mismatched designs...sigh...as always, a post of breathtaking beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Your fruit always looks so perfect with marevlous colors. Then I remembered . . . you're in NY. NY State has some of the best fruit and veggies that I have ever tasted. (and I'm a Texan)

    Did you say yellow??? As in that scrumptuous NY State bread and butter corn.(hint)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Another wonderful post. Your mind works in charming ways, tropist or not. I can just SEE the set you've made transformed into a CGPB watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:53 PM

    lovely still life! and I agree, I love cafe au lait and latte bowls. whenever I see one I'll snatch it up. great post.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you