Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Macarons Payard

The Payard Patisserie is all about pale lemon yellow bows and pale lemon yellow striped boxes. You can't find a Frenchier place in New York to go pretend you're still in Paris.
I'd just about kill to have a Payard pale lemon Voyageur bags. You can get one stuffed with goodies at the Payard Bistro on 1032 Lexington Avenue.
I met François over 10 years ago while shooting food events at the James Beard House. Back then I also made "portrait business" cards, many of them for pastry chefs, the most visual and artistic chefs in the food industry.
I used to drop off the event photos in person at Restaurant Daniel and François would give me all kinds of delicious snacks. It's called multi-tasking :)
François is Niçoise and a 3rd generation pastry chef. He grew up in his grandfather's classic pâtisserie, Au Nid des Friandises on the Riviera. In 1988 he went to Paris and became pastry chef at La Tour d’Argent and then Lucas Carton. A great C.V. to come to New York and work first at Le Bernardin and later Restaurant Daniel. In 1997 he opened his own pâtisserie and bistro. I remember the opening...

Payard Macarons and Cherries, 2006, watercolor, 9" x 12"

Payard's macarons are made fresh daily. The pretty pastel flavors: Chocolate, Coffee, Pistachio, Raspberry, Lemon, and Coconut. You can get some very nice gelato here too.


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:33 AM

    (smile) I know you were tempted to just dip your paintbrush in the gelato trays -- they look like a pallette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM Im hungry again, I put weight on just visiting your blog! Lovely colours in your paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The macaroons are so beautiful, it is ridiculous! I am going to be in Paris next week, and will head out for macaroons first thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:10 PM

    Payard was one of my favorite patisseries in NYC! I still dream of the pastry display case...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:16 PM

    my tummy just growled

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:41 PM

    What's amazing to me is that even before you get to what's inside the package, you have all this gorgeous packaging. It just makes everything look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Joy - You're right! The Gelato flavors do look like giant watercolor pans!? Funny I didn't see that but I keep taking pictures of them over & over :)

    Red Shoes - it's all about the vicarious experience here..the dream.

    Only 1 O in macaron or you have to leave now :)

    Yes Anita, Payard is more French than the French!!!

    Connie I'm sending you some macarons RIGHT NOW so I don't eat anymore.

    Ivonne, I'm a sucker for beautiful packaging. I love all the logo ribbons and stickers, all the trimmings - makes it like christmas just to open the box.
    ParisBreakfasts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not far from La Durée... Why have I never been?...

    Sad state of affairs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennc, don't feel bad..I've been going to Paris for years and NEVER went to any of the GOOD PLACES! Forget the Louvre, the hidden Gustave Moreau Museum or a slew of other museums and high points. Last May was the FIRST time I went to Ladurée (3x) or Mariages Frere(1x) or Pierre Hermé (lost count). I never even tasted a Paris macaron before. Being a virgin ain't so bad. Just be sure and connect the La + durée...I recommend sitting downstairs even though smoking is allowed - you get to watch the long lines of macaron-buyers and feel their anticipation as you munch away :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unrelated to this post but in answer to a question you left me...

    Illustration Friday is a weekly illustration "challenge". An idea generator if you will. Every Friday you get a word, you do some kind of illustration/painting/drawing, pop it up on your blog and submit the link to www.illustrationfriday.com before the following Friday so that other participaters can check out what you did.

    It's light and fun and can be a good help to building portfolios...

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you