Sunday, October 15, 2023

Weekend this & that, BiblioMania

 

On Saturday I went to Bibliomania near Odeon again. It’s on today till 6 pm.

Always a good place for visual inspiration

You can never have too much inspiration

Or too much French Art Deco 30’s graphics in my opinion 

I kept seeing complimentary 

Red/green color combinations

Just like the palette 🎨
Van Gogh was using

This morning I discovered a fun video. You can take a walk vicariously around Auvers-sur-Ois

An enchanting (red/green) so Frenchy sketch at Bibliomania 

And an artist’s sketchbook caught my eye. Looks like the artist was still sketching fresh doodles in colored pencil ✏️ Why didn’t I ask the dealer to take it out of the case 🙄 Maybe I’ll go back today…

After Bibliomania I popped into chocolatier Patrick Roger just for a Halloween 🎃 browse. I was captivated by the life-size solid chocolate shark. Just browsing ☺️

On Friday I took my sister (in red bib) to lunch at Le Crabe 🦀Marteau She loved it. I tried to stop her eating the crab-shaped sugar cube. Too late ☺️

The French are crazy for shaped-sugar cubes like these made by Can A Suc. Have you noticed? They’re fun to collect. Not so much to eat…

After lunch, I went to a 30’s photography show of Boris Lipnitzki a photographer I’d never heard of, yet I’ve seen many of his celebrity photographs. 


Gare de Lyon,1937 by Boris Lipnitzki. Roger Viollet is renown for its huge (6 million images) archival photographs of Parisian & French history.

Chanel always gets in the picture. I didn’t know Lipnitzki took this famous shot.

He took portraits of many top Paris designers including Balenciaga. Very good at subtly capturing elegance and personality without the distraction of color film

Brigitte Bardot/BB as a young ballerina, caught by chance, her stary future unknown.

Do you read the comments PBers?
Thanks to a very smart reader I learned, “
The beautifully done photo featuring the young Bardot is actually an homage of a famous Edgar Degas work titled "Waiting." Beautiful!”

Escaping into the past. Sometimes an escape is necessary.

A French sock company recently copied/escaped with my Eiffel Tower - Cats Letters (design from 2020) minus birds. They’re selling in a tourist shop on rue Bellechasse near musée d’Orsay. 

I better get a pair fast before they sell out 🤣 

The view
was out Solli’s window, so I we both sue!?

Meanwhile the swirling Automne leaves 🍁 October letter has not been going so well 🤔

With all the talk of coffee cups, the wheels got turning. Out walking to la Poste 📬…I thought why not do Paris cafe coffee cups ☕️? Back to the drawing board & maybe visit some cafes?
                    
What’s your favorite Paris café
? Do tell 🙏
                              
   ❤️THANK YOU PBers again for the kind cups of Ko-Fi❤️          
☕️    🥐    ☕️    🥐    ☕️    🥐    ☕️    🥐    ☕️    🥐   

40 comments:

  1. very nice auvers-sur-oise video - thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:25 AM

      Very like when I was there a few years back. Auvers doesn’t change happily 👍

      Delete
  2. I love your “This & That” posts. The black & white photographs by Violet are wonderful. I think you should get a bit of those sock proceeds…wonder how that all happened. Hope you are enjoying your time with your sister.🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:24 AM

      Thanks Ga
      I’ll be happy to get a pair of socks 🧦 to wear ❤️

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:12 AM

    We are leaving for Paris on Wednesday, 50th wedding anniversary trip. Many friends are incredulous, given the state of world events and security alerts in Paris. So I very much appreciated your letter this morning concentrating, once again, on what is beautiful in the world, specifically your Parisienne world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:22 AM

      There are so many wonderful small events going on all the time in Paris with less crowds & less worrying. Don’t miss Berthillon on Sunday 🍦 ❤️

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:52 AM

      Oh the second Fete de les Moules is on Wednesday at Les Maquereau barge by the Seine…dommage Bonne Voyage 🧳

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:28 AM

    I Love the last cafe picture - so Paris. No place fancy or famous. Just everyday people relaxing over a cuppa ☕️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:53 AM

    favorite cafe... Bistro du Peintre av. Ledru Rollin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:08 AM

      Oh Thanks I don’t know that one..I immediately thought of le Palette

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:41 AM

      Its a Bistrot - more focus on food. Their coffee cups are from Café Richard, a big industrial supplier to most Paris cafes.
      http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2007/03/cafes-richard-la-tasse-petale.html

      Delete
  6. Are they allowed to do that re the socks? I'm flabbergasted.Unless you give permission..I think it's not right..Fun step back..I like the past for many things..the future and AI ..not my cuppa:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:53 AM

      It is COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT unless I give them permission, which I did not 😟🧦

      Delete
  7. Seahorsey198:55 AM

    Would love to have a pair of those socks! I hope you get a commission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:54 AM

      I’d be happy with a discount 😊

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:09 AM

    As an agent, I would say you have a very strong copyright suit. In the States a lawyer would take the case on contingency meaning, 1/3 of the awarded money would be the lawyer’s fee, and they would be paid only if you win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:38 AM

      I would agree but it’s just socks. If it was a complete line of giftware, mats, napkins etc. Or if they were using multiple designs of mine, then I would have a case.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:31 AM

      A stern letter from a copyright attorney might at least get you a flat fee without having to sue. Fwiw, I know a watercolor artist who licensed her unique and beautiful paintings to Crate & Barrel. I was shocked to hear her royalties amounted to only about 4% of the cost of the posters.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:35 AM

    I'm thoroughly enjoying your autumn letter with the Eiffel Tower and swirling leaves. I was specifically looking for a fall letter to put on my fridge. Next up will be the Christmas Holiday letter, and the Christmas Patisserie letter with Bear. (I'm a sucker for anything featuring Bear!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:40 AM

      I was hoping it would work too. If I used Photoshop like other artists it would be soooo easy. But because my work is hand done some things are too difficult to execute malheureusement ❤️

      Delete
  10. Ii do wonder -- can you do anything about the socks? I hope so. Those sugar cubes are very cute! And I would love to see both exhibitions -- but especially the photos. Very beautiful! Happy Sunday, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:42 AM

      You would enjoy that exhibit Jeanie.
      I reported on their Seine exhibit too.
      http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2023/06/galerie-roger-viollet.html

      Delete
  11. Anonymous10:54 AM

    I wondered if you’d like to take a look at my blog? I’m a cookbook writer and former chef who specializes in improvisation Italian cooking , mainly from the South. I also write about Italian and Italian American goings on around New York. My next post will be about oxtails. Best , Erica De Mane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Wonderful "here and there" small events post Carol. Love experiencing Paris through your artistic eyes. Un grand merci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:43 AM

      Thank you 😊 Some days I think I have nothing to write about and those are the most fun posts! ❤️

      Delete
  13. Bonnie L11:40 AM

    Oh! Bibliomania looks fabulous…and the location!…I’ve longed to go into that courtyard and mosey around. You go to the most interesting places, Carol. And, a visit to Patrick Roger! Then…a photography show!! (Do you never tire?!) That photo of a young BB is amazing…destined for success?

    Love the Paris Breakfast socks. Would love to purchase but only when you start receiving royalties. “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” said Oscar Wilde. Bon dimanche, C!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:50 AM

      Yes I thought briefly of that…I didn’t remember the “greatness” part 👍
      Thank you Oscar Wilde 👏

      Leave it to you Bonnie to know of the Réfectoire des Cordeliers! I bet they have Noel sales on when you are here 🤞

      Delete
  14. Anonymous12:25 PM

    What a wonderful video from Auvers-sur-Oise . Thank you for sharing it Carol. Loved everything in this post. You do go to such wonderful exhibits. Love the socks but sorry they used your art without permission. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:14 AM

      I found another walk video Suzanne
      https://youtu.be/gGxh_wXBlbc?si=HvdrZoOb-cOx69al

      Delete
  15. sukicart11:34 PM

    Patrick Roger is my favorite chocolatier. I brought home lots this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:51 AM

    Hope you went back to look at that sketchbook. What amazing days you have. You are indefatigable! Chelmsey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:36 AM

    I so love following you. The beautifully done photo featuring the young Bardot is actually an homage of a famous Edgar Degas work titled "Waiting." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:23 AM

      Of course it is a Degas setup! Sharp eyes 👁️
      Such a classic.
      Lipnitzki photographed many star ballerinas (which I didn’t show). Little did he know he was shooting BB!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:32 AM

      Thank you! I added in the Degas image. Great story 👍

      Delete
  18. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Those socks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:24 AM

      ❤️🧦❤️🧦❤️

      Delete
  19. Anonymous3:12 PM

    I love sitting on les Champs at the old Ladurée sipping hot chocolate from their elegant cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:24 AM

      They are Beautiful classy cups - they may be on the Ritzy cup letter ☕️

      Delete

Love hearing from you