Wednesday, August 24, 2022

La Madeleine Paris map

 

I’ve been working on the madeleine de Paris map since the first of August.

And I have the hips to prove it and as Shakira says, those hips don't lie.


There is a lot more history than just Proust’s obsession Which as it turns out, the madeleine was not his first choice to dip in his tea, but that’s another story

Back in 1755 King Stanislaus III of Lorraine was having guests to tea (Voltaire etc.). 
Thanks to his pastry chef having a fight with his butler and thusly quitting (so much history is the result of chefs quitting. Did you see the film Vatel?), we now have the madeleine sponge cake. 
A cook, named Madeleine Paumier, stepped in and offered her grandmother’s recipe. Natch Stanislaw named the little cakes after her or so the story goes.
      Voila. DIY? Try Jill Colonna’s recipe in her Teatime in Paris or here.
Going back to the1600s, pilgrims on the way to Camino de Santiago de Compostela wore scallop shells to  indicate all the routes they’d taken to get there. And as homage to St. James (who supposedly washed up covered in what else? Scallop shells.
i.e.The first madeleines were scalloped-shaped. 
La Madeleine de Proust has taken up the traditional shape and size again with giant-sized cakes. 
In 1928, madeleinier Fernand Grojean started his enterprise, Madeleines de Commercy in their oblong cloche 🔔 boxes and the perfect 3” dipping size we adore today.
If you’re so inclined on the 3rd Sunday of November you could go celebrate 🥂with the Confrérie Gastronomique des Compagnons de la Madeleine. I’m seriously thinking about it.
Meanwhile back in Paris there are a number of madeleine-focused places you can easily visit without waiting for November to roll around. Blé Sucre was the first to emphasize the madeleine with a giant-sized version weighing in at a pound, along with your usual size mady. Blé Sucre won Figaro’s meilleure madeleine de Paris in 2014. 
Mado à Paris
 on rue de Rivoli at Place de Concorde is a special favorite. 
Endlessly inventive with the pretty flutted madeleine design, they also make it also into tiny chcolates and guimauve/ marshmallows. 
Not-to-be-missed for madeleine afternoon tea lovers is the fabulous Proust Salon de thé at the Ritz, Place Vendôme. 
                                  Photo by Paris Chez Sharon 
Or bought directly from the Ritz le Comptoir for beautiful boxes of uniquely-shaped madeleines of pastry chef, François Perret.
Last, but never least, top pastry chef, Gilles Marchal is a strong advocate for Paris madeleines. His eponymous shop is in Montmartre.
A multitude of French grandmas are responsible for making France’s top chefs what they are today. 

Gilles says
, “you must break open the little cake and inhale before eating”. 
4 weeks of research eating of madeleines is over👏🤸‍♂️ 
The new Paris map 🗺 should hit la poste 📮 today🥂👏🎉 
More hot news! My small watercolors can be wrapped as a gift 🎁 Yay 🎉🤸‍♂️👏

39 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:09 AM

    We appreciate your sacrifice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parisbreakfast12:38 AM

    Hahaha and I just sacrificed myself again writing this long shaggy dog story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa CHP2:52 AM

      And it’s likely you’ll do over and over again for we readers! Next stop, Florentines? Merci!

      Delete
    2. Parisbreakfast3:54 AM

      Ah ha! But the madeleine is an iconic little cake of France. I could not say the same for Florentines, though Berthillon always serves them with their ice cream.
      Florentine cookies were most likely created in the late 17th century kitchens of French royalty in honour of their Tuscan in-laws. Centuries on, Florentines are still enormously popular cookies world-wide, but a visit to the best of Florence's pastry shops for these cookies will leave you empty-handed.Aug 22, 2011

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:19 AM

    Thanks to you I ordered two Madeleine pans on Amazon and they arrived overnight! It seems to me that the Madeleines in the first picture are overdone. Non? I guess I should see how mine turn out before I judge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast3:49 AM

      Oh it’s probably the lighting last night. They are quite perfectly baked. Its the hump and it’s height that's the most important thing !

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, yum! Madelines are delicious. I am very luck a bakery makes them at the markets here in Adelaide, Australia. The perfect size and flavoring cake for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast5:29 AM

      They must be French bakers Kirra! Who else could do them justice?

      Delete
  5. I treasure the two ?balsa wood boxes that once had madeleines in them. Are they still sold in those boxes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast11:43 AM

      Yes Sally, still the same boxes. BHV has them. I did not know it was balsa wood!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:21 AM

    Another story for you to research FINANCIERS……..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:28 AM

      Financiers are almost the same recipe. Just the mold is like gold bricks..not as much background lore me thinks.

      Delete
    2. Parisbreakfast11:44 AM

      Actually I will be avoiding cookies like the plague for awhile.

      Delete
    3. Parisbreakfast10:49 PM

      Actually I am wrong. Financiers recipe is mostly almond flour. I made them with Jill Colonna on PB here: http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2016/04/teatime-in-paris-almond-financier.html

      Delete
    4. Interesting on the financiers - as yes, loved making them together with Carol - and I now have the recipe (which is also in my book, Teatime in Paris) on the blog at MadAboutMacarons.com - help yourself! The difference between financiers and madeleines are also in my post - basically madeleines are more cake-like with much less butter and they have a hump!

      Delete
  7. After reading this delightful post I think MY hips are a bit larger! The madeleines from the Ritz Comptoir look to be various flavors. I like the box they are packaged in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:27 AM

      Their cloche box is a copy of the original 1928 box from Commercy

      Delete
  8. An EXCEPTIONAL newsletter this morning! Merci! Filled with your delightful humor, interesting facts, a variety of images, and best of all, your watercolors! Hmmm... come to think of it, today's newsletter is as perfect as all the others! I wish I could visit the places you mention. Thank you for your service, Carol. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:25 AM

      These madeleines kept me busy for a month exploring and doing hand-to-mouth resuscitation

      Delete
  9. Janice Powers9:06 AM

    Love this post. I’m taking notes for when I’m in Paris in November. Love having a”to do” list that includes Madeleines! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree love this post..it HAS SO MUCH THAT I LOVE:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:23 AM

      Madeleines are très riche in more than butter Monique

      Delete
  11. I love visiting Paris with you! (vicariously of course) Once again, such a delight in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:37 AM

    Cheer up! I have the same hips but I didn’t get them from French madeleines. @jeanettesclar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:22 AM

      I am certain you ate something far more delicious Jeanette.

      Delete
  13. I have to return to Paris again (darn!) to follow up on your research. All in the cause of science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:53 AM

      Great June! I have some assignments for you 😊

      Delete
  14. Bonnie L12:42 PM

    I love madeleines…SO perfect with a cuppa…and such a history! Mado à Paris is on my list…their yellow packaging is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast1:23 PM

      Bonnie, you won’t be disappointed at Mado and they have a cute tea salon ☕️

      Delete
  15. This post brought a big smile to my face at 6 AM. What a great way to start my day! Thanks. Hope your day is just as special as you made mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Methinks you enjoyed your research. I know I would as my great-grandson & I love madeleines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:24 PM

    But what do we do when not in Paris? They are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:16 PM

      They are not difficult to make evidently. Jill Colonna’s Teatime in Paris is a good one as is her website, Mad About Macarons. Good butter is key.

      Delete
    2. Parisbreakfast10:24 PM

      Jill’s Recipe here:
      https://francetoday.com/food-drink/recipes/exclusive-recipes-from-teatime-in-paris-by-jill-colonna/
      I will add the recipe link also to the post

      Delete
  18. Another blog asked earlier this morning "What have you learned today?!" Well, a lot right here! I've made Madeleines for ages (and mighty fine ones, I might add) but I never knew their story. So than you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisbreakfast10:19 PM

      You’re very welcome Jeanie I really should try to bake them. I don’t trust myself around cake batter…it could be a test of willpower.

      Delete
  19. Andrea Doria10:14 PM

    Great idea to market and package your watercolors as gifts…genius! 🎁
    Really good post today…tons of info!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carol, thanks for the history lesson on madeleines! I love my new Luxembourg chair and map purchase + your gift wrapping with red ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful surprise to read your lovely words this morning! Thank you so much for thinking of me with your beautiful Madeleine post. You are so gifted - love all the references to them and thanks for the shout-out to the Teatime Book.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you