Sunday, June 07, 2020

Fetes Des Meres and the Marie-Antoinette Letter

Yesterday I made my weekly Saturday jaunt uptown for more stick-on overseas stamps. What a change! Tout Paris was out, happily shopping for MOTHERS DAY.
Today, June 7 is Fetes des Meres in Paris. Normally its the last Sunday in May but with Lockdown and the Pentecostal holiday they changed it.  
You can't enter Galeries Lafayette or any department store without a mask, unless you are 6 years old.
The store was loaded with stunning cakes.
Flower themes from patissier Pierre Hermé.
Perfumes galore.  
Oz Garden had a farm-style flower stand in front of perfume shop Diptyque on boulevard St. Germain. 
A few weeks ago I read in the Guardian, a travel bag belonging to Marie-Antoinette sold for more than 5Xs its estimate in an auction (nearly €45,000) of royal memorabilia near in Versailles.
Wheels started churning. Ta da. Perfect for May's Paris letter  
What was inside M-A's travel bag? After all in the end Marie-Antoinette was a very good bonne maman.
Bear 🐻wishes you a Parisian 
Bonne Fete des MèresThanks for reading Parisbreakfast. Share with a friend. Subscribe to my letters and maps and receive Paris in your mailbox . Bonne Dimanche PBers 

16 comments:

  1. Your Marie Antoinette Letter is beautiful ! It is fun to imagine what was in her travel bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems the world is out!

    Let Them Eat Cake..and admire Carol's aquarelles:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem...it was let them eat BRIOCHE! But many say she never said anything of the kind. Pauvre MA...

      Delete
  3. Needed this post today
    Tha nks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Che bella!
    I don’t know why I answered in Italian. It just came to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn1:17 PM

    Did Bear make a friend? It is a perfect letter.

    Hope you have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful letter and beautiful Seine scene with everyone being very responsibly physicaly distanced..thanks, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it varies how well ppl behave...the kids are not so good

      Delete
  7. Well, Paris is open! I'm glad people are being careful! Love your art and all the lovely views!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney3:45 AM

    I do very much miss Paris, especially knowing that it’s going to be a long time before I can go there again. I’ll never forget my first trip there in 1967—I’ve been in love with Paris ever since! Thank you for your blog….I look forward to seeing it every week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I received my first mailing of your Paris letters and maps on Friday and I felt like a little girl, thrilled with each and every detail! Your art work gives me a feeling that I can’t describ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan3:56 AM

    I loved reading in your blog today how Mother’s Day is being celebrated and how you’re being inspired for your next map by Marie Antoinette!

    Thanks again for being you and doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looked like a beautiful day in Paris...and people are social distancing along the Seine! It is so nice to tag along on your shopping excursions. The Marie letter is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonella4:02 AM

    Love seeing the flowers, pastries, and perfume for Fetes des Mères.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the photo of Notre Dame rising again, Carol! I think you are very lucky to be living there, in Paris, away from the ugliness here. Will this country ever recover from this two prong nightmare?

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you