Saturday, July 11, 2015

Martin de Candre et Domaine de Mestre

Do you love French savon/soaps?
For ages D'arcy has been promising me to take to visit
Artisanal soap maker, Martin de Candre at Fontevraud in the Loire.
Last weekend I did a total immersion
Heavenly aromas of honey, lavender, camomille, geranium, rose, citron.
Light parfums of the same scents.
Everything is 'fait maison' made on the premises. There's a soap museum as well to visit.
And, can you believe an expert barber
To make you look like as elegant as a Roman coin. Sebastien de Petit Thouars has been made-over. Their products can be ordered all over the world. Makes you almost wish you had a beard...
The main house is both a divine restaurant and the family-run hotel of Benoit et Marie-Amelie de Courcy.
Le Domaine de Mestre
Luxe et calme greet you at the entrée


Tthey have a new chef onboard
They have asked me to illustrate their new menu.
I said I'd be Delighted, as long as you pay me in SOAP!
A quick look upstairs is
Just as lovely as the whole property
Stay in one of the biggest beds in the Loire or did they say all-France? Or did I perhaps mishear?
Do visit Domaine de Mestre. Get a trim, bath in lush soaps, eat dinner and sleep divinely no doubt.
Are you enticed?
Bon Weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Oh la la la la LA! I am so going to visit... someday. NObody makes better soaps than the French. I am never without them (first thing I pack for travel is a small French travel soap, even if staying in a nice place). Do we get to see what you come with for le menu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shopping Monkey,
      You can order from them online by the way.
      Of course I will show you, but I have such an urge to paint their soaps...not menu material I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. Heavenly destination! The sight of all those scented things sent me scurrying to put on a splash of my new fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Ha..that's why I went into Roger & Gallet today and was splashing Cedrat hither and thither.
      The power of suggestion.

      Delete
  3. J'aime les savons..and was happy to find a new one I had bought and forgotten about..scents..♥
    What a dreamy place Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have visited l'Abbaye Fontevraud, but missed out on seeing the soaps, the hotel, and the restaurant. Next time....... Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I missed l'Abbaye Fontevraud and I didn't have time to buy a single soap.
      Let's go back together Harriet!

      Delete
  5. Really splendid post!

    would love to go there someday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:57 AM

    I was fortunate to visit and stay at this place when I visited l'Abbaye. Yes, I purchased soap too! You brought back such a wonderful memory, thank you! If you go, be sure to enjoy a dinner while staying, if they still offer that option. French soaps are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the restaurant is very much still running and has a new chef.
      I hope I get to eat there soon.
      Lucky you!

      Delete
  7. Lynne S10:16 AM

    Oh, this is extraordinary. Great you will be doing some work for them. What a gorgeous place. Did Bear come along, or does he stay home for times like these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were running to the train
      I didn't even get to buy any soap.
      Triste

      Delete
  8. Dorothy in Kansas10:21 AM

    You so delightfully capture the magic around you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah N10:56 AM

    I loved reading about these beautiful soaps (savons?).
    Are they sold anywhere in Paris? I loved the ones wrapped with the colorful bows. They'd make wonderful little gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth S.11:43 AM

    I'm adding this to my list.
    Anything Citron I love, so I will try to get there in May!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see your menu!!!!!!!!!!!! What a prize they have found in you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful walled garden with the roses. Smart of them to hire you to illustrate their menu, they will have a stellar carte to present their clients!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so want to go there and stay overnight and eat and smell soap and look at the menu that will be beautiful and sit in that little garden with a kir and, and and.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, beautiful as always! Your posts never fail to woo me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your opening watercolor is a real stunner!
    The fifth photo in - the "light perfumes" - I love the blue color that the bottles are made in; the shade of blue.
    Looks like a nice spot for a side trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks amazing, a real gem to stay , eat, sleep in lucky you

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you