Tuesday, August 19, 2008

DIY Painting Glass

With all the glass paintings I did last week, Jeanette said: you didn't paint it all in, but the eye/brain fill in the missing bits...Damn! I'm going to have to buy David Dewey's book ...sounds like he thinks the way I like to see. I thought I'd do a little review on painting glass. I painted this one back in David's class at Parsons in '96.
A very old, much looked at copy of one of David's class demos of painting reflective surfaces...... and the notes from class on the "closure effect".
"Break it up so the eye fills it in automatically. Simplify! Color effects create the form on the patterns. You want to relate the reflective patterns to the overall 2D pattern! Use chromatic neutrals (grays made from mixing complimentary colors, never black or gray paint)." A page from David's watercolor book, using Wayne Thiebaud’s painting demonstrating using compliments on glass. Thiebaud paints quite a bit of glass. I'm always adding to my reference files.
Another Thiebaud. OK! I’ll do a pencil thumbnail of my subject. Remember the lesson on thumbnails class? Early stage of the painting is mostly pale washes of warm and cool color.#171B Hydrangea in a water glass, sold, original watercolor,9" x 11"
Voila! The finish.
 I mustn't forget to show you the subject matter.

21 comments:

  1. Lovely little tutorial on glass-painting, Ms Gillott! I recognized that painting from David's book. I love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:00 AM

    I loved today's post, you make it look so easy! Thanks for the lesson! Now if I can just remember to simplify...simplify... simplify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your transparency. So many artists will not share their technique. Very glassy of you, I mean classy.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carole!! This is fabulous!!!! I LOVE your notes and illustrations (and your work)!!! SUPER SUPER-- thanx!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb! I am playing in puddles today too. These are gorgeous notes. Absolutely scrumptious.

    Reflections and glass are just as fascinating as luscious pastries. I fall into them and luxuriate. Look at those beautiful washes.

    Those choices, the mysteries our mind can complete in our own chosen ways, are so much more generous and inviting. Says here, there's room for you too . Come on in and play.

    Just beautiful Carol. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Carol, Your passion and "beautiful works" bring immense sunshine to others. It's very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:33 PM

    CAROL, YOUR GLASS PAINTING IS FANTASTIC AND IT BEATS LOTS OF ART MASTERS,IL FELT LIKE PICKING IT UP IT WAS SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:35 PM

    Hi Carol,
    Since my Mother in Law has
    Painted for many years, I was
    Thinking about getting her
    David Deweys Book. She
    Still gives classes and goes to
    Art school. This summer she
    Went to one for a week up in
    Rhinlander, WI. Bless her heart,
    She is 90 years old!!
    Any way Is the book titled :
    The Watercolor Book: Materials
    And Techniques Copyright 2000?
    You seem to like it and she would too, I'm sure.
    Thanks,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:00 PM

    Wow..love today's post - especially the "class notes" page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous lesson/demo - such lovely watery works - Thanks for sharing a bit of the 'genius behind the scenes!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANKS!
    I did it for me too as a reminder of how to do it...I forget sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:09 PM

    hydrangeas are my favorite flowers... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:10 PM

    I love it!
    Very nice - feminine and romantic. I love the background colors you gave the watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:12 PM

    Beautiful, Carol! I'm loving the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Most wonderful demo! And damn, now I'm going straight to Amazon for that book...foolishly, feeling frugal, I only put it on my wish list. Tsk, tsk!
    AND: you keep a reference file!!! Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fascinating lesson and paintings!

    The color and lettering of the Thiebaud illustration for "The New Yorker" magazine's cover of September 2007 bear a striking resemblance to the packaging of the "Original Neapolitan Wafers," created by the Viennese Manner company in 1898, 110 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you make it sound so easy :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. WHOA MERISI!!!
    How right you are about Thiebaut's pink New Yorker cover looking an awful like the Austrian pink cookies Manner!!
    Who knew!?
    Very good set of eyes there...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous7:06 AM

    Wonderful!!!
    As someone I know would say,
    "A big merci!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. macarons seem to be always close to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Thanks for the art lesson, Carol. Very instructive!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you