Tuesday, August 08, 2006

PARIS Macarons

As a kid I insisted on Lemon Meringue pie instead of birthday cake. In Paris I always made for the meringues, the ancient Italian granny of the French macaron. These wildly-colored meringue sandwiches were a mystery till I became addicted to foodblogs. Then I couldn't take my eyes off them. Besides macarons fall nicely into my pastry-geometry theory. They're both circular and a cylinder and you can view them as an elipse too, when seen in perspective. I didn't even eat my 1st macaron till last November at New York's Fauchon. It was lemon of course. I did wine research in Saint Emilion and you can buy another old relative there - almond flavored "lids". They come still attached to the parchment paper they're baked on. You peel them off - delicious. I saved this paper as a souvenir. Don't ask me why.
While you line up for your macarons, there's a black and white 18-page catalogue you can plough through with detailed descriptions. Plus a small accordian brochure describing the macarons flavors. This you get after you've bought your macs, I suppose to keep you coming back for more. As if that were even an issue.
An example of a Hermé macaron description:
"Une fine envelope croustillante, une forme rounde, légèrement bombée, de belle couleurs chatoyantes et un coeur moelleux..."


A very rough translation would be: A fine crispy envelope, a round form, slightly bent, beautiful colors (I'm getting nowhere with chatoyantes or moelleux) and a marrowy (mushy?) heart...hmm

There's a macaron war going on. Who has the best Paris macs? A city-wide competition with an annual winner- Jean-Paul Hevin won last year.

It's just a smidge of jam, not the whole jar. It doesn't overwhelm of the basic bisquit lids IMO. The Pierre Hermé macarons are tres riche, filled with a multi-plex of buttercream flavors.
An example is: biscuit macaron choclat, ganache chocolat caramet et éclats de chocolat àla fleur de sel...Along with being anti-birthday cake, I'm not a buttercream fan. I won't even have mit schlag (whipped cream)on my hot chocolate. I don't have the slightest problem when it comes to ICE CREAM though...But if you LOVE buttercream than Pierre Hermé is your place. Paris Macarons, watercolor, 11" x 9"

13 comments:

  1. Hi Carol

    I don't know about macarons not being easy to paint. I think you did a very good job of capturing them in watercolours. My mouth was watering as I read this post. I love meringue. Raspberry pavlova and lemon meringue pie are two of my favourite deserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:37 PM

    Just gorgeous, these macaron paintings! I've only ever tried Laduree, but I will certainly check out the others in October. Macarons are little clouds of delicious perfection. Your colors here are wide-ranging and exquisite. Can't wait to really try my new paintbox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure! Feel free to use the pics!! :) Sorry about the lack of posting. I've been on vacation with my family.

    Best,
    J. Lo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Espero que puedas entender mi mensaje. Cada vez que abro tu blog, quedo maravillada con tus acuarelas!!!, me encantaría tener una. Las tienes en venta?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:37 PM

    love the latest macaron painting, such rich scrumptious colors. Agree about Pierre Herme macs but will have to try them again just to be certain. Had a lovely choco one with a scoop of vanilla ice cream at Bouchon (in the Time Warner bldg)
    viv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:17 PM

    I love Pierre Herme macarons and your watercolors are mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:54 AM

    Your paintings are always a treat! They look just as inviting as the real thing. I think Pierre's macarons are THE best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. reading your blog makes me salivate! Paris is a favorite place of mine, and I never have eaten any of these treats, so this looking at your photos and paintings is a guilty treat (I don't eat sugar).
    oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading this while drinking tea from a styrofoam cup. Truly an offense to the senses, especially when compared to the delightful things you describe.

    Thank you, as always, for sharing - you always inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hola preciosas pinturas tu heres muy golosa no

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have finally linked to you on my site, but now I am sooo hungry after reading your blog and looking at the pictures! I shall have to go and eat some kind of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm pierre hermé gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Carol
    Your blog and the colors and the food and the paintings...are all very sensual.
    YUUUUUMMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you